John Amirante to return Thursday!

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I can't stand this guy.

I am a vet of Afghanistan and I actually think the singing of the anthem before every single game in every single NY sports venue has cheapened it and is actually insulting. It kind of takes away the importance of the anthem and makes it lose its prestige when associated with what is aching to events just a notch above a circus act. Just my humble opinion and I know I'm not the only one who feels it. It's a running joke actually.

Well it's not a NY sport venue thing...pretty sure they sing or play the anthem before nearly every professional sporting event in the country. I'm mixed on it. On the one hand I get what you're saying...and on the other it makes us pause for a minute, to give thanks to those who have served our country and perhaps to reflect on how lucky we are to live here.

As for Amirante, admittedly was never a great singer (I know that's heresy around here) and he's clearly declined in recent years. But he's part of the institution so we embrace him as one of our own and hope he can keep singing. Glad to see his health has improved.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
I can't stand this guy.

I am a vet of Afghanistan and I actually think the singing of the anthem before every single game in every single NY sports venue has cheapened it and is actually insulting. It kind of takes away the importance of the anthem and makes it lose its prestige when associated with what is aching to events just a notch above a circus act. Just my humble opinion and I know I'm not the only one who feels it. It's a running joke actually.

and "cheapening" the national anthem makes you harbor ill feelings towards john amirante how?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad