Joffrey Lopul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I'll admit, before Lupul played in the NHL, I didn't figure he was going to be as big as I think now. I mean, at the draft he was being compared to Mike Bossy.... I thought he would be good for 25-30 goals
But since seeing him play, and this being his first year straight from junior, I gotta say that 40 goals is a possibility for sure

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I don't like Lupul at all. I think he's the next Pavel Brendl. He was terrible in the World juniors last year, real lazy. I've watched him at every level since bantam and i just don't think he has what it takes to put up the numbers at the next level.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
krooky said:
I don't like Lupul at all. I think he's the next Pavel Brendl. He was terrible in the World juniors last year, real lazy. I've watched him at every level since bantam and i just don't think he has what it takes to put up the numbers at the next level.

He's already better than Brendl.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Reign Nateo said:
He's already better than Brendl.

Oh yeah. I'm not sure how he sees him as the next Brendl. Lupul is probably in the top 10 among Calder candidates so far, and this year is a very strong rookie year. This guy's future has "Rocket Richard" written all over it.

chuckie

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
Lupul

I don't know why so many people are against Lupul, just because he didn't light it up after at the wjc.I remember all those threads saying lupal versus upshall saying upshall all the way, hands down. Yeah right.............

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Personally, I thought he had a good WJC, and was oozing with potential. Not surprised to see him looking as good as he has thus far.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I had some doubts about Lupul but now that he's stuck I think he's going to be a good player. I thought the toughest thing for him would be to transition his game from the WHL to the NHL, now that he's done that things are just going to keep getting better.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Lupul to me looks like a player. But he does NOT look like a Richard winner or anything like that. Maybe a top end 2nd liner, something like that? Sort of reminds me of a younger Scott Young.

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
You guys talk like Lupul is already guarenteed to stay in the league for good and that he has already established himself as an NHL player. This seems a little naive to me after only a handful of games some of which he was a healthy scratch. I'm willing to bet he spends a signifigant amount of time in Cincinatti this year......just a prediction. Wait and see.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Why do some of you hate Lupul so much?

He's a hard worker, has good hands, is willing to play the body and willing to back check on D.

In the game between the Coyotes and Ducks on Saturday, he got knocked woozy by a Tyson Nash elbow and had to have help getting off the ice. A little bit later he's back in the game assisting on a Rucchin goal. I don't see what there isn't to like about him.

The_Wiz

Apr 6, 2003
nova scotia
Visit site
Maybe people don't like him because "Lupul" sounds like "Loophole" as if maybe he's lazy and is trying to take shortcuts in life ?

Not to mention "Joffrey", what the hell is up with that ??? ;)

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
The_Wiz said:
Maybe people don't like him because "Lupul" sounds like "Loophole" as if maybe he's lazy and is trying to take shortcuts in life ?

Not to mention "Joffrey", what the hell is up with that ??? ;)

Not every family can afford good vowels, they just have to mix and match. And some Czech families can't afford any vowels at all, seeing as how most of them were stolen by the Finns.

Regarding Lupul, what impresses me so far is that he's shown himself to be far from the one-dimensional player many people here described him as. He's played hard, he's played physical, and he does a heck of a lot more than just shoot.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
krooky said:
This seems a little naive to me after only a handful of games some of which he was a healthy scratch. I'm willing to bet he spends a signifigant amount of time in Cincinatti this year......just a prediction. Wait and see.

Babcock did the same thing with Chistov last season (and again this season), taking them out of the lineup if he doesn't like their effort.
Also, the same thing was done with Joe Thornton and many other rookies when they first broke into the league, playing all 82 games isn't the norm for a rookie.
As for Cincy, depending on his play, yes I agree Lupul could be sent to Cincy after Mike Leclerc returns from injury. It might be better for him to get the playing time, and if Cincy is the level he has to go to get playing time, so be it. 2 of the other prospects (Smirnov and Holmqvist) who started the year in Anaheim before being sent to Cincy are now averaging more then a point per game.
I fail to see how this all relates to what Lupul may develop into. I mean, in 5 years, no one is going to look at Lupul and say "yeah, but he spent half of his rookie year in the AHL".

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
If he keeps it up though he's not going to the AHL. When Leclerc gets back I imagine he'll go with Niedermayer and Rucchin and Lupul might get promoted to the first line with Chistov and Fedorov while Andy Mac will go with Sykora and Prospal. At least that's what I'd do, but Babcock likes Pahlsson so who knows.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Joffrey Lopul Looks like he has the potential to be a real offensive force in the NHL. I feel he has a special aura about him like all the great goal scorers who passed through this league over the years. Comparing Lopul to Bossy is a little big unfair to the kid but I seriously do think he could be a constant 30 - 40 goal scorer in this league once he reaches his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad