joey ryan's stock

kostybros

Oct 28, 2005
Qc city
I'm a remparts fan and i've seen a lot of games this year and I don't understand why this guy should be considered a 1st round pick( like a lot of scouts say..).
he skates very well( i agree) but he makes more mistakes than any other defenseman on the team and doesn't have a real offensive upside. I think as a 3rd pick he would be a good choice but not before.

so where do you think he'll be drafted and why?

X-SHARKIE

perezhogy said:
I'm a remparts fan and i've seen a lot of games this year and I don't understand why this guy should be considered a 1st round pick( like a lot of scouts say..).
he skates very well( i agree) but he makes more mistakes than any other defenseman on the team and doesn't have a real offensive upside. I think as a 3rd pick he would be a good choice but not before.

I don't have him in my top 60 my self, I totally agree with you on this one. He has to many brain cramps for myself.

usual suspects

Jan 2, 2006
Fredericton, NB
I saw him play live at the Memorial Cup in Moncton and he played well overall. He looked pretty composed out there. He didn't do anything special though. And its true that he is not going to be a offensive threat. This isn't a deep draft of if he was chosen in the late 1st and 2nd that will indicate just who thin the draft is this year. In a good year he would be a solID 3rd round pick as I see him as a 5th or 6th dman if he makes it to the NHL. He needs to learn the positon more and should be fine.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I don't have him in my top 60 my self, I totally agree with you on this one. He has to many brain cramps for myself.

And he plays in Canada, which means there are probably 8 NCAA d-men you can bump him for.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
GagneOwnsYou said:
And he plays in Canada, which means there are probably 8 NCAA d-men you can bump him for.
He's a tough kid and I think in the old NHL he may have had higher value but with the way the game is called now a player that takes a lot of penalties is a liability. I see many of the NTDP defenseman being selected before him.

quebec

Apr 29, 2005
perezhogy said:

I have been to all remparts home games this year and some road games and Joey Ryan does not make more mistakes than the other defenseman.most nights he is consistent making the simple plays.i would take the remparts d-men over most ncaa d-men.Andricopoulos<Vlassic,Sersen,Ryan who would not want them on there team.and i guess all you guys are smarter and know more than the scouts.if you look at the d-men coming out of the development program i will take Andricopoulas and Ryan over most of them.Vlassic&Sersen already drafted.So keep bashing Joey Ryan and we will see where he gets drafted in a few weeks.Bye the way he is not a bad kid either does a lot of charity work with kids with cancer in Quebec City so where ever he gets drafted i will be happy for him.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Ryan seems like he has a decent head on his shoulders, such that he can probably be expected to develop into a safe/reliable depth guy, even if some people think he makes mistakes now (find me a 17-18 yr old D-man who looks truly consistently safe in his own zone right now, SVP!). If he gets marked up at the draft, it's probably on character and personality, and it's easy enough to imagine some teams making that the basis of their choice when it comes to sifting through the myriad players rated for the 2nd/3rd round. I'm thinking Komarniski, Bieksa, Boughner type for Ryan some day, which in the minds of scouts might not be as bad as it sounds to the fantasy drafters. :dunno:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Blind Gardien said:
Ryan seems like he has a decent head on his shoulders, such that he can probably be expected to develop into a safe/reliable depth guy, even if some people think he makes mistakes now (find me a 17-18 yr old D-man who looks truly consistently safe in his own zone right now, SVP!). If he gets marked up at the draft, it's probably on character and personality, and it's easy enough to imagine some teams making that the basis of their choice when it comes to sifting through the myriad players rated for the 2nd/3rd round. I'm thinking Komarniski, Bieksa, Boughner type for Ryan some day, which in the minds of scouts might not be as bad as it sounds to the fantasy drafters. :dunno:
I get your point but nowadays there is a difference between Boughner and Bieksa.

Boughner wont survive in todays NHL due to his non-existant stickhandling and nowawayds almost every D has to have atleast decent hands.

Bieksa is a tough D who can shoot decently etc.

I like Ryan's scouting report though.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
12# Peter Bondra said:
I get your point but nowadays there is a difference between Boughner and Bieksa.
Boughner chosen as an example of a longtime borderline NHLer who has basically carved his niche on character and personality. The skills bar even for that type is obviously going to rise, but I wasn't trying to suggest that Ryan or Bieksa have exactly the same skillset as Boughner.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
quebec said:
I have been to all remparts home games this year and some road games and Joey Ryan does not make more mistakes than the other defenseman.most nights he is consistent making the simple plays.i would take the remparts d-men over most ncaa d-men.Andricopoulos<Vlassic,Sersen,Ryan who would not want them on there team.and i guess all you guys are smarter and know more than the scouts.if you look at the d-men coming out of the development program i will take Andricopoulas and Ryan over most of them.Vlassic&Sersen already drafted.So keep bashing Joey Ryan and we will see where he gets drafted in a few weeks.Bye the way he is not a bad kid either does a lot of charity work with kids with cancer in Quebec City so where ever he gets drafted i will be happy for him.

With the reports I read I would look for him to go in the 3rd round. If there are not alot of defensemen taken by the 3rd round it will push him back a bit. In that case 85th + pick is a good spot. Being a safe pick teams could be trying to slide him a little bit off on their lists for more surprising players. :)

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
quebec said:
You are obviosly a little bias in you choice because Andricopoulas didn't even get drafted last year and probably won't this year and Ryan will get drafted but their are at least 4 defenseman on th NTDP that are better than him. We all know Erick Johnson is the #1 choice but Summers, Strait, and McBain are all better than Ryan or Andricopoulas. Williams will be picked before Ryan and he wasn't even one of their top defensmen.

quebec

Apr 29, 2005
bigd said:
You are obviosly a little bias in you choice because Andricopoulas didn't even get drafted last year and probably won't this year and Ryan will get drafted but their are at least 4 defenseman on th NTDP that are better than him. We all know Erick Johnson is the #1 choice but Summers, Strait, and McBain are all better than Ryan or Andricopoulas. Williams will be picked before Ryan and he wasn't even one of their top defensmen.
talk about being bias put Summers Strait Mcbain & Williams in the CHL and see where they get ranked then.Ryan can play hockey and he has proven it in the CHL.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
quebec said:
talk about being bias put Summers Strait Mcbain & Williams in the CHL and see where they get ranked then.Ryan can play hockey and he has proven it in the CHL.
I guess we will find out what the 30 NHL teams think on June 24TH!

quebec

Apr 29, 2005
bigd said:
I guess we will find out what the 30 NHL teams think on June 24TH!
No we will find out in 2 or 3 years and see whos playing in the NHL.It does not matter where you get drafted it matters if you make the team down the road.

X-SHARKIE

GagneOwnsYou said:

I have no bias against Canadian prospects. In fact, if all things were tied I would take the player from the CHL, because IMO it's the best league for players from the ages of 16-20 to develop in. It just happens that I watch more USHL, USNTDP, High School, and NCAA games than CHL ones so I can't help but see the other players more.

I have certain type of defenseman that I like, and it just happens that Ryan doesn't play that style. That's all, not my type of a player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
ROOKIE CHARGERS said:
With the reports I read I would look for him to go in the 3rd round. If there are not alot of defensemen taken by the 3rd round it will push him back a bit. In that case 85th + pick is a good spot. Being a safe pick teams could be trying to slide him a little bit off on their lists for more surprising players. :)

He's not a player I'd peg to slide.

Teams are always looking for rugged defenders who can skate, and even if there isn't a ton of upside there, this is the sort of player who often slides into the end of the first round. See guys like Fistric, Mark Stuart, David Hale, etc.

Memorial Cup was the first time I'd seen him, and I was left impressed. Didn't see the brain cramps people had attributed to him, played a solid defensive game, skates very well for a player of his ilk, and actually showed a nice flash of skill in the final game jumping into a 3-on-1 and being involved in a sharp 3-way passing play for a goal. The extra exposure will really work in his favour.

Plus he seems like a mature guy and a really good interview, which will again help his stock.

My guess would be that he goes somewhere between picks 25-40.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I agree with the fact he has the potential to slide into the end of the first round, if someone likes him, but not until the last three or four picks.

He skates very well, is decent in his own zone and plays with an edge. I think he has some offensive potential, once he gains confidence with the puck. There were a number of times when he was on the Remparts 2nd unit PP where he seemed to rush himself with the puck on the point and I think that all has to do with confidence.

Overall, I think a lot of the flaws in Ryan's game are mental, decision making, picking his spots better, hockey sense etc. He didn't strike me as being anywhere close to being mentally mature or prepared enough to live up to his potential anytime soon. I think he has a lot of growing up to do, both on and off the ice.

He was an interesting interview, as can be seen in the Q&A (http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8777&mode=threaded&order=0). Really focused on being drafted. When I talked to him after the final game, that was one of the first things he brought up. Maybe not the correct focus, but whatever.

To close, I think he has the tools to be a solid and effective top four defenceman in the NHL. A lot of his development from here on out should be more his mental makeup then anything else. He's a good kid, but he's still a kid. Just needs to continue to grow up and mature.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I have no bias against Canadian prospects. In fact, if all things were tied I would take the player from the CHL, because IMO it's the best league for players from the ages of 16-20 to develop in. It just happens that I watch more USHL, USNTDP, High School, and NCAA games than CHL ones so I can't help but see the other players more.

Doesn't seem to me to be a valid reason to dismiss CHL players for players who play in the States.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
About, Ryan.---Don't know how many of you know, but his whole torso is literally covered with body art. This was commented upon by several scouts I was talking to at the Combine. It was not appreciated, and could actually affect where he goes in the draft. A tatoo here and there was not a problem, but he was covered and eyebrows were raised. I am not sure where he will go, but I did want to throw this into the mix as part of this discussion.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Leslie Treff said:
About, Ryan.---Don't know how many of you know, but his whole torso is literally covered with body art. This was commented upon by several scouts I was talking to at the Combine. It was not appreciated, and could actually affect where he goes in the draft. A tatoo here and there was not a problem, but he was covered and eyebrows were raised. I am not sure where he will go, but I did want to throw this into the mix as part of this discussion.

Not to be rude, but why the hell would teams be scared to take him just because he has tatooes. That would be stupid imo.

Transported Upstater

habsfan15 said:
Not to be rude, but why the hell would teams be scared to take him just because he has tatooes. That would be stupid imo.

I am sure that there are GM's who are old-fashioned and ignorant enough to take something like that into consideration.

Roger's Pancreas*

Question about him.

Does him playing three years in the Q already make him an exception to the "no CHLers under twenty" rule?

quebec

Apr 29, 2005
Leslie Treff said:
let me tell you first hand his whole torso is not covered with body art he has a total of 5 tatoos.and about talking about him getting drafted after a game i know for a fact the only thing on his mind was the remparts winning.

X-SHARKIE

I'm having some memorial cup tapes sent my way when Quebec played Vancouver and Moncton.

It sounds like this is a high character player, and I like that. I'm just not sure about him being a first round pick. He does sound like a player you want on your team in a playoff series though,that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad