Confirmed with Link: Joey Anderson signs ELC

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don’t fully understand burning a year in that case but **** it what do I know. Imo he’s our top prospect, so this is great news

He's more than likely not going to burn a year. Since he signed as a 19 year old, his contract can slide if he doesn't play in 10 games this season.

Reactions: Darkauron

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
not true

his contract starts this year, or else he wouldn't be able to practice (potentially play) with the team

I thought only players age 20 or older burn their 1st year if they play any games and others if they play 9 or more games in regular season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I thought only players age 20 or older burn their 1st year if they play any games and others if they play 9 or more games in regular season.

I didn't realize that Anderson was still 19, so yes I believe technically his contract could still slide

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Joseph Anderson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

this says ELC Signing age: 20

Entry-Level Slide Risk - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Because signing bonuses are paid regardless of a slide, the bonuses paid on the slide year no longer count to the players remaining cap hit. The cap hit therefore changes - the players salary is averaged without the signing bonus.​

he turns 20 in June, b ut I guess since thats before September he really counts as 20

Reactions: markog

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
He's more than likely not going to burn a year. Since he signed as a 19 year old, his contract can slide if he doesn't play in 10 games this season.

i believe if its playoffs then that 10 game thing goes out the window. once he steps foot on the ice for practice thats a year burned even if he plays or not

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
by Julie Robenhymer

Anderson is already in New Jersey and will join members of the team Monday morning for a skate before Game 3 against Tampa Bay, which means his three-year contract starts right now as one of the extra players during the playoff run.

"I think it will be a great experience for him to be here and get a taste of the NHL and help drive his summer training," Fitzgerald said. "No one wants to burn a year off a contract, but we were willing to do that because we feel we've got a real good player in him. If he comes at a bigger price tag in two years because he's that good of a player, that's a great problem to have."

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i believe if its playoffs then that 10 game thing goes out the window. once he steps foot on the ice for practice thats a year burned even if he plays or not

It depended on whether Anderson counts as a 20 year old. CapFriendly lists Anderson as 20 for CBA signing age. He doesn't turn 20 until June, but the CBA might go with birth year rather than birthdate. If Anderson counted as a 19 year old, then his deal would have slid.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He looked really good at times during the post-WJC NCAA games I watched him in, and other times he's not driving play. He can score and set up plays when he's on his game. Hopefully he shows more offensive creativity and development and can make an impact in NJ.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He looked really good at times during the post-WJC NCAA games I watched him in, and other times he's not driving play. He can score and set up plays when he's on his game. Hopefully he shows more offensive creativity and development and can make an impact in NJ.

Joey Anderson's strengths are not dynamic creativity and driving possession. He's a player with speed, grit and two-way acumen who is skilled enough offensively to compliment top-6 forwards. He compares to guys like Kyle Okposo and Mark Stone, maybe with a bit less size but more speed. What's nice about him is that he plays with off-the-charts competitiveness and high-end hockey IQ, so that even when he is not scoring he is still an extremely useful component of a winning team.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Joey Anderson's strengths are not dynamic creativity and driving possession. He's a player with speed, grit and two-way acumen who is skilled enough offensively to compliment top-6 forwards. He compares to guys like Kyle Okposo and Mark Stone, maybe with a bit less size but more speed. What's nice about him is that he plays with off-the-charts competitiveness and high-end hockey IQ, so that even when he is not scoring he is still an extremely useful component of a winning team.

Generally I would agree with you but I did see some higher end skill on a few of those powerplays in a couple of televised UMD games. I was surprised to see that based on what I’d seen in the past. I think to play on a top 6 role he needs to be more than an up and down winger. He needs some creativity and finesse to convert all the passes he’ll get from Nico and Bratt.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The contract starting now is most likely how they enticed him to sign now, and not go back to college and possible go the free agency route.

He had two more years before the FA thing was a worry though, it wasn't gonna get down to brass tacks till at least next year at the same time.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He had two more years before the FA thing was a worry though, it wasn't gonna get down to brass tacks till at least next year at the same time.

If he played his junior year I think an ELC would be 2 years vs. staying 1 more year and being UFA eligible. Or am I wrong on that? I think the ELC thing is a little bit overblown. Yes, it's an advantage to have contributing ELCs, but smart RFA contracts can be a good substitute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad