Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
This also shows Sakic's inability to recognize defensive talent before said person breaks out.

It's not just Sakic (though I don't disagree with your assertion). This inability has existed within this organization for over two decades.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
In my random wandering, I happened upon the wiki list of top NHL salaries by year. Interesting to note that Joe Sakic has the highest single year salary ever in the NHL, at $16.45M for 97-98. Twenty years ago. Given the salary cap constraints, it cannot be beaten until the team cap is $82.25M or more...a couple years from now at least.

And yet he appears to have some issues with seemly small gaps in salary in negotiations now :sarcasm:

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
In my random wandering, I happened upon the wiki list of top NHL salaries by year. Interesting to note that Joe Sakic has the highest single year salary ever in the NHL, at $16.45M for 97-98. Twenty years ago. Given the salary cap constraints, it cannot be beaten until the team cap is $82.25M or more...a couple years from now at least.

And yet he appears to have some issues with seemly small gaps in salary in negotiations now :sarcasm:

You have to remember, that was not only an RFA offer sheet the avs matched, but that 16M includes his signing bonus. IIRC his base salary was only 2 million per year for 3 years, but also included a 15M signing bonus.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
You have to remember, that was not only an RFA offer sheet the avs matched, but that 16M includes his signing bonus. IIRC his base salary was only 2 million per year for 3 years, but also included a 15M signing bonus.

Oh I know. But it still stands as the highest annual payday for any NHL player ever.

That same page has a list with him sitting at 3rd all time for total NHL salary...but it stops in 2009, so that total has to have been passed up by now. It also only counts salaries from 1990 forward, as they were not disclosed prior to that.

(update, another list from Jan 2014 has him 4th, behind Jagr, Lidstrom and Pronger...and I think at least Vinny passed him since). Crosby for sure has passed him, and Weber just did thanks to his $8m signing bonus for this year. Thornton as well. Marleau will after next year. Lou will in a couple years as well. And Ovi, of course.

Crosby is the only one already contracted to pass Jagr for #1 career earnings.

Still amazes me that someone that negotiated the way he (his agent) did back then would have any kind of issues with slight overpayment of kids. Or hold grudges for stuff like signing an offer sheet. I don't think he does, but that is the perception.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
If Sakic can't get Zadorov signed over a relatively minor difference in cap hit on a team with no cap trouble, then I just wouldn't know what to say anymore. Sakic is just talking about the Olympics as a ruse so that he can find blame elsewhere if he can't get Zadorov signed. If Zadorov were that intent on playing in Pyonchang he'd have already signed in the KHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
2017 off-season is officially complete:

2017 Offseason

Organizational Structure

• May 23rd - Parts ways with Tim Army
  • May 23rd - Parts ways with Dave Farrish
  • May 23rd - Parts ways with Francois Allaire
  • July 7th - Hires goaltending coach Jussi Parkkila
  • July 7th - Hires assistant coach Ray Bennett
  • Aug 11th - Adam Foote leaves organization.

RFA, Pending UFA, and Prospect Signings

• May 12th - Signs prospect Andrei Mironov to a 2 year ELC. Two way with a $70k AHL salary, and $925k cap hit.
  • Jun 28th - Signs RFA Sven Andrighetto to a 2 year deal. One way with $1.25M first year, and $1.55M the second. $1.4M AAV.
  • Jul 1st - Re-signs Joe Cannata to a 1 year deal. Two way with $150k in AHL. $575k in NHL.
  • Jul 18th - Re-signs Duncan Siemens to a 1 year deal. Two way with $100k in AHL. $750k in NHL.
  • Jul 18th - Re-signs Gabriel Bourque to a 1 year deal. Two way with $225k in AHL. $750k in NHL.
  • Jul 18th - Re-signs Felix Girard to a 1 year deal. Two way with $80 in AHL. $650k in NHL.
  • Jul 25 - Re-signs Matt Nieto to a 1 year deal. One way. $1M in NHL.
  • Jul 25 - Re-signs Rocco Grimaldi to a 1 year deal. Two way with $170k in AHL. $750k in NHL.
  • Sep 15 - Re-signs Nikita Zadorov to a 2 year deal. One way with $2M first year, and $2.3M the second. $2.15M AAV.

UFA Signings - One Way

• Jul 1st - Signs Jonathan Bernier to a 1 year deal at $2.75M.
  • Jul 4th - Signs Nail Yakupov to a 1 year deal at $875k.

UFA Signings - Two Way

• Jul 1st - Signs Andrew Agozzino to a 2 year deal. Two way with $300k in AHL. $650k in NHL. $650k AAV
  • Jul 1st - Signs David Warsofsky to a 2 year deal. One way $650k in first year. Two way with $350k in AHL second year, $700k in NHL. $675k AAV.
  • Jul 25 - Signs Jesse Graham to a 1 year deal. Two way with $70k in AHL. $650k in NHL.
  • Aug 16 - Signs unsigned prospect (TOR) Dominic Toninato to a two year ELC. Two way with $70k in AHL. $925k NHL AAV.
  • Aug 23 - Signs unsigned prospect Alex Kerfoot to a two year ELC. Two way with $70k in AHL. $925k NHL AAV.
  • Oct 2 - Signs camp tryout Ty Lewis to a three year ELC.

Trades

• Jul 1st - Trades 4th round pick in 2019 to Nashville for Colin Wilson.

Waivers

• Sep 29 - Waives Duncan Siemens (clears)
  • Oct 3 - Claims Patrick Nemeth from Dallas
  • Oct 4 - Waives Joe Colborne (clears)

Buyouts

• Jun 15th - Francois Beauchemin - Allows Avs to protect 7F 3D in expansion draft instead of 8 skaters option. Has one year remaining on contract. Since he was 35+ when he signed his contract, his buyout cap hit will be the full $4.5M, but only be for the duration of his deal, instead of 2/3 the remaining salary spread out 2x the length.

Tryouts

• D - Jared Cowen (Released)
  • D - Gage Ausmus
  • D - Nolan De Jong
  • D - Tom Gregoire
  • C - Hugo Roy
  • LW - Ty Lewis

UFA Departures

• Francois Beauchemin - Buyout - Signed 1 year deal with Anaheim. $1M AAV.
  • Rene Bourque - Left as UFA - Signs with Djurgarden of SHL
  • Fedor Tyutin - Left as UFA
  • John Mitchell - Left as UFA - Signed with Cleveland of AHL
  • Cody Goloubef - Left as UFA
  • Jeremy Smith - Left as UFA - Signed 1 year deal with Carolina. Two way with $225k in AHL. $750k in NHL.
  • Mikhail Grigorenko - Rights not qualified - Signed 3 year deal with CSKA Moscow of KHL.
  • Patrick Wiercioch - Rights not qualified - Signed 1 year deal with Vancouver. One way $800k.
  • Eric Gelinas - Rights not qualified - Signs PTO with Montreal
  • Troy Bourke - Rights not qualified - Signs with Syracuse of AHL
  • Turner Elson - Rights not qualified - Signed 1 year deal with Detroit. Two way with $130k in AHL, $575k in NHL
  • Mat Clark - Left as UFA - Signed with HC Bolzano (Italy) of the Austrian Hockey League (EBEL)
  • Jim O'Brien - Left as UFA - Signed with Belleville of AHL
  • Mike Sislo - Left as UFA - Signed 1 year deal with Arizona. Two way with $300k in AHL, $600k in NHL
  • Samuel Henley - Rights not qualified

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
2017 off-season is officially complete:

2017 Offseason

Organizational Structure

• May 23rd - Parts ways with Tim Army
  • May 23rd - Parts ways with Dave Farrish
  • May 23rd - Parts ways with Francois Allaire
  • July 7th - Hires goaltending coach Jussi Parkkila
  • July 7th - Hires assistant coach Ray Bennett
  • Aug 11th - Adam Foote leaves organization.

RFA, Pending UFA, and Prospect Signings

• May 12th - Signs prospect Andrei Mironov to a 2 year ELC. Two way with a $70k AHL salary, and $925k cap hit.
  • Jun 28th - Signs RFA Sven Andrighetto to a 2 year deal. One way with $1.25M first year, and $1.55M the second. $1.4M AAV.
  • Jul 1st - Re-signs Joe Cannata to a 1 year deal. Two way with $150k in AHL. $575k in NHL.
  • Jul 18th - Re-signs Duncan Siemens to a 1 year deal. Two way with $100k in AHL. $750k in NHL.
  • Jul 18th - Re-signs Gabriel Bourque to a 1 year deal. Two way with $225k in AHL. $750k in NHL.
  • Jul 18th - Re-signs Felix Girard to a 1 year deal. Two way with $80 in AHL. $650k in NHL.
  • Jul 25 - Re-signs Matt Nieto to a 1 year deal. One way. $1M in NHL.
  • Jul 25 - Re-signs Rocco Grimaldi to a 1 year deal. Two way with $170k in AHL. $750k in NHL.
  • Sep 15 - Re-signs Nikita Zadorov to a 2 year deal. One way with $2M first year, and $2.3M the second. $2.15M AAV.

UFA Signings - One Way

• Jul 1st - Signs Jonathan Bernier to a 1 year deal at $2.75M.
  • Jul 4th - Signs Nail Yakupov to a 1 year deal at $875k.

UFA Signings - Two Way

• Jul 1st - Signs Andrew Agozzino to a 2 year deal. Two way with $300k in AHL. $650k in NHL. $650k AAV
  • Jul 1st - Signs David Warsofsky to a 2 year deal. One way $650k in first year. Two way with $350k in AHL second year, $700k in NHL. $675k AAV.
  • Jul 25 - Signs Jesse Graham to a 1 year deal. Two way with $70k in AHL. $650k in NHL.
  • Aug 16 - Signs unsigned prospect (TOR) Dominic Toninato to a two year ELC. Two way with $70k in AHL. $925k NHL AAV.
  • Aug 23 - Signs unsigned prospect Alex Kerfoot to a two year ELC. Two way with $70k in AHL. $925k NHL AAV.
  • Oct 2 - Signs camp tryout Ty Lewis to a three year ELC.

Trades

• Jul 1st - Trades 4th round pick in 2019 to Nashville for Colin Wilson.

Waivers

• Sep 29 - Waives Duncan Siemens (clears)
  • Oct 3 - Claims Patrick Nemeth from Dallas
  • Oct 4 - Waives Joe Colborne (clears)

Buyouts

• Jun 15th - Francois Beauchemin - Allows Avs to protect 7F 3D in expansion draft instead of 8 skaters option. Has one year remaining on contract. Since he was 35+ when he signed his contract, his buyout cap hit will be the full $4.5M, but only be for the duration of his deal, instead of 2/3 the remaining salary spread out 2x the length.

Tryouts

• D - Jared Cowen (Released)
  • D - Gage Ausmus
  • D - Nolan De Jong
  • D - Tom Gregoire
  • C - Hugo Roy
  • LW - Ty Lewis

UFA Departures

• Francois Beauchemin - Buyout - Signed 1 year deal with Anaheim. $1M AAV.
  • Rene Bourque - Left as UFA - Signs with Djurgarden of SHL
  • Fedor Tyutin - Left as UFA
  • John Mitchell - Left as UFA - Signed with Cleveland of AHL
  • Cody Goloubef - Left as UFA
  • Jeremy Smith - Left as UFA - Signed 1 year deal with Carolina. Two way with $225k in AHL. $750k in NHL.
  • Mikhail Grigorenko - Rights not qualified - Signed 3 year deal with CSKA Moscow of KHL.
  • Patrick Wiercioch - Rights not qualified - Signed 1 year deal with Vancouver. One way $800k.
  • Eric Gelinas - Rights not qualified - Signs PTO with Montreal
  • Troy Bourke - Rights not qualified - Signs with Syracuse of AHL
  • Turner Elson - Rights not qualified - Signed 1 year deal with Detroit. Two way with $130k in AHL, $575k in NHL
  • Mat Clark - Left as UFA - Signed with HC Bolzano (Italy) of the Austrian Hockey League (EBEL)
  • Jim O'Brien - Left as UFA - Signed with Belleville of AHL
  • Mike Sislo - Left as UFA - Signed 1 year deal with Arizona. Two way with $300k in AHL, $600k in NHL
  • Samuel Henley - Rights not qualified

SURELY people can't complain about that ! I'd certainly give that a B- (which is pretty great). Was hoping for a few more tweaks on D, but geez, our forwards and depth, and rookie depth now is outstanding.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Since I fully expected Beauchemin and Colborne to be on the team on opening night and I hated how both of them played hockey for Avs, hard to be all that upset with the off-season. Iginla gone. Beauchemin gone. Mitchell gone. Colborne (temporarily?) gone. Grigorenko gone.

Hopefully the new dogs have more fight in them.

Reactions: dahrougem2

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
SURELY people can't complain about that ! I'd certainly give that a B- (which is pretty great). Was hoping for a few more tweaks on D, but geez, our forwards and depth, and rookie depth now is outstanding.

"Outstanding"? No. It's certainly better than it was before, and credit where credit is due on that. But it is not "outstanding".

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Since I fully expected Beauchemin and Colborne to be on the team on opening night and I hated how both of them played hockey for Avs, hard to be all that upset with the off-season. Iginla gone. Beauchemin gone. Mitchell gone. Colborne (temporarily?) gone. Grigorenko gone.

Hopefully the new dogs have more fight in them.

I agree. For the MOST part, these guys made the right moves. I still have serious reservations that the Avs did not A) Trade Matt Duchene or B) Publicly declare he was off the market until further notice. Even an empty gesture would've been better than nothing.

But overall the team did indeed get younger and faster and that was by far the biggest issue last year. Also, new assistants!

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It's just a bunch of minor changes. Obviously it's good that he didn't make a bunch of stupid moves. But like people have been saying all offseason, the moves you don't make are just as important. Historically bad year and we keep our head coach, we keep the front office dunces, we have the exact same core and the defense is still a joke. Cannata was a terrible signing. He let the Z contract drag on way too long. Should have retained Grigo's rights.

D at best. It's unacceptable that nothing major changed.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've come to apologize to Joe Sakic. Yes, it's only four games in and the bottom could drop out again any day, but I called him the worst GM in the NHL, and that's simply not true. Marc Bergevin is the worst AINEC.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I've come to apologize to Joe Sakic. Yes, it's only four games in and the bottom could drop out again any day, but I called him the worst GM in the NHL, and that's simply not true. Marc Bergevin is the worst AINEC.

One of my favorite teams is managed by Sakic, the other by Bergevin. Happy days.

Bergevin essentially is on track to ruin Chucky, he thought Drouin (who looks lost at center at ES) is a solution for his centre issues, traded away a vastly superior player in PK for a shadow of his old self in Weber, let Radulov go over couple 100k, gave away Ghetto for nothing, ran Markov out of town, let Belieau go, let Emelin go, effectively destroying the left side of his D. That club has been trending downward every year, all because of him.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I like what Sakic is doing . He has had to clean up Roy's mess .

Sakic himself has said he is the GM and all decisions were ultimately his, or something like that.

Don't blame Roy. This team would be a lot better if Roy had his idea's fully implemented.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Sakic himself has said he is the GM and all decisions were ultimately his, or something like that.
Don't blame Roy. This team would be a lot better if Roy had his idea's fully implemented.
Part of Roy's gig was to bring in players for him to coach . When his plugs were failing he had his wings clipped and quit. We are now cleaning up his mess , only Soderberg is left to go

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

I would expect he would say something like that anyways. But Roy definitely had an influence, there's no doubt about that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Not sure I agree with that. If Roy was responsible for players like Beauchemin, Stuart, Boedker, etc. then I don't think you can say definitively that this team would be better.

Yes it's true Sakic signed off on all decisions, but I'm not sure he had power to veto. We still don't know what level of control Roy was given. It's clear there was more than a bit of conflict between Roy and others in the front office prior to his departure.

I guess the one thing we know for sure is that the two-headed monster approach was doomed from the start. It should have either been Roy as Coach/GM with a cap guy handing contracts or Sakic with full managerial powers.

I actually very much DO want to see Roy given full rein somewhere (hopefully if Quebec City ever gets another shot, or I guess maybe sooner if Montreal continues to flounder) but I think when it comes to team building his head is still stuck in the '90s. Way too enamored with big, slow guys.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
A part of me really wishes to see what kind of team we'd have if we did the moves Roy wanted and Sakic left. I think it'd still have ROR, and no Duchene or Barrie.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Part of Roy's gig was to bring in players for him to coach . When his plugs were failing he had his wings clipped and quit. We are now cleaning up his mess , only Soderberg is left to go

Oh yes, the bad players were Roy's plugs. :shakehead

And let's just ignore the major pieces Roy would have brought in. Zib, Chabot and Radulov for sure. Our team would be so much better with those three.
There is a reason Sakic is boss and not Roy . Let's not be naive to this

And what's that reason? Seems the only reason he is the GM is because he was the first former great player to get his foot into the front office door. He certainly hasn't earned the position. Let's not be naive to this.
I would expect he would say something like that anyways. But Roy definitely had an influence, there's no doubt about that.
Having an influence is much different than making the decision. Tons of people in the org should have an influence.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Not sure I agree with that. If Roy was responsible for players like Beauchemin, Stuart, Boedker, etc. then I don't think you can say definitively that this team would be better.

Yes it's true Sakic signed off on all decisions, but I'm not sure he had power to veto. We still don't know what level of control Roy was given. It's clear there was more than a bit of conflict between Roy and others in the front office prior to his departure.

I guess the one thing we know for sure is that the two-headed monster approach was doomed from the start. It should have either been Roy as Coach/GM with a cap guy handing contracts or Sakic with full managerial powers.

I actually very much DO want to see Roy given full rein somewhere (hopefully if Quebec City ever gets another shot, or I guess maybe sooner if Montreal continues to flounder) but I think when it comes to team building his head is still stuck in the '90s. Way too enamored with big, slow guys.

No way did Sakic not have veto power. This is Sakic's team and it has been the entire time. Roy just had an influential voice.

Zib, Radulov and Chabot. Yes, this team would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->