Joe Nieuwendyk

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
MV5BYmMxNGQ3MjgtZGQ2Ny00YThhLWFiMDItMWY2MmFhMTZiY2Q2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_UY1200_CR752,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Never saw him play. Is he considered to be one of the best flames player ever? What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical? Why did he leave?

Just asking out of curiosity.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Is he considered to be one of the best flames player ever?

He was the number one center of the only Flames team to ever win the Stanley Cup. So... yes.

What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical?

I'm also too young to have watched his Flames hayday but to my knowledge, he was primarily a goalscoring center akin to someone like Auston Matthews of today.

Why did he leave?

The Flames were in a rebuild. He was traded for a certain prospect named Jarome Iginla.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I have an irrational dislike for him. Couldn't stand him after his tenure with the Flames. Never liked him on Dallas, NJ Devils or the Leafs, probably my 3 most hated teams of late 90s/early 2000s.

Not to mention even as a child, I knew what his deke against Hasek in the shootout in Nagano was going to be. Never forgave him for that. I was glad he hardly played on the 2002 team.

He was always good for the Flames, and I will always be grateful for him blessing us with Jarome Iginla, but I never liked him as a player.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He was the number one center of the only Flames team to ever win the Stanley Cup. So... yes.

I'm also too young to have watched his Flames hayday but to my knowledge, he was primarily a goalscoring center akin to someone like Auston Matthews of today.

The Flames were in a rebuild. He was traded for a certain prospect named Jarome Iginla.

Wasn’t gilmour the #1C on that team?

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
1A / 1B situation on a stacked roster. Nieuwendyk centered a line with Gary Roberts and Hakan Loob, Gilmour centered a line with with Joe Mullen and Colin Patterson. Joel Otto centered a "checking" third line, and Theo Fleury played on the fourth line.

The good ol' days.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
He was great at staying in front of the net & deflecting pucks. I remember he was considered the "Gretzky" of lacrosse, actually both Nieuwendyk & good buddy Roberts played lacrosse.
He took alot of flack for those years of 1st rnd exits, and rightfully so as the captain. I think with the contract dispute he just figured it was time for a change.
He also had alot of knee issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad