Joe Micheletti

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We're incredibly lucky. Yes, Sam isn't as sharp as he once was and Joe can be to a hockey broadcast as cheesy as Dave Grohl has become to rock music (and I love both Joe and Dave Grohl lol) but after living in DC a few years and hearing Laughlin and Bennati do games, I will never take Rangers broadcasts for granted. The only other guys in the league I enjoyed as much were the old Sharks guys, but that team was split up a few years ago.

Caps fans love Bennanati. I don't get it. He's a poor man's Mike Emrick. Like a really poor man's Mike Emrick. Like the bum on the street compared to Bill Gates. He's so Goddamn awful, I threw a party when he left VS.

I lived in Philly the last year and I think their broadcast is top notch. Can't beat Keith Jones in the booth and Bill Clement in the studio.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarLionRoar

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Caps fans love Bennanati. I don't get it. He's a poor man's Mike Emrick. Like a really poor man's Mike Emrick. Like the bum on the street compared to Bill Gates. He's so Goddamn awful, I threw a party when he left VS.

I lived in Philly the last week and I think their broadcast is top notch. Can't beat Keith Jones in the booth and Bill Clement in the studio.

Clement is fantastic. “And after 22 years ... Raymond Bourque!” Gives me goosebumps every time.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Yeah that's what I thought. I miss those two. Best duo ever.

You’re right! And yeah — I would kill to have those two calling our games. I had hoped that NBCSN (or Versus or OLN or whatever channel broadcasted NHL games before it) would use the ESPN crew post lockout. Such a shame.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

I lived in Philly the last week and I think their broadcast is top notch. Can't beat Keith Jones in the booth and Bill Clement in the studio.
I can’t figure this either. Caps radio is much better than Caps TV.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
it was thorne who made the call. clement was the color guy.

I posted this on my Twitter yesterday to commemorate the Matteau 2OT winner 24 years ago. Included is Thorne's call of the goal and after he says, "1940 is history!" Uh we still needed to win another series there Gary. Notwithstanding this error Thorne was a great hockey play by play man.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I posted this on my Twitter yesterday to commemorate the Matteau 2OT winner 24 years ago. Included is Thorne's call of the goal and after he says, "1940 is history!" Uh we still needed to win another series there Gary. Notwithstanding this error Thorne was a great hockey play by play man.

He was right though!

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I automatically despised Micheleti only because I grew up listening to JD. I’ve warmed up to him over the years though.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta

Oh goodness... I went to college in DC. Beninati didn't annoy me all that much, but Laughlin drove me absolutely nuts. Thinking of him regurgitating every single awful hockey cliche twice a game still makes me cringe, 20 years later!

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
When the Devs scored late to tie game 7, Gary Thorne started on and on with the curse thing, all throughout overtime. Matteau scored, 1940 wasn't a curse, just history. That's what I always thought he meant.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Kenny, Dave and Steve could be our Gary, Keith and Ron.

Instead we'll LaGreca, Giannone, and an immortal Al Trautwig.

We can agree to disagree on a couple.

I really like both Maloney and Valiquette. Not sure why you dislike LaGreca, but like Kenny Albert? Woof.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yeah that's what I thought. I miss those two. Best duo ever.
Fans seemed to like them more than they liked each other ha. Well documented that those two did not always get along very well...

Loved Gary Thorne calling hockey. Great voice for it. Hoping that after the NBC deal expires, maybe the contract moves to someone else and they bring back Gary and avoid the trifecta calling the finals games. Doc is done, Pierre is Satan, and Eddie is better in a studio role rather than repeating the same exact things every game.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Doc is so horrible. His voice and style of call do not translate well to today. It's very last century.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad