Joe Micheletti

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
i would love to see dave more often, hes so honest and refreshing

Dave can be Dave on radio because not as many people listen and in between the benches because he's a third man. If he was the main CC guy, you know he'd be muted by Rosasco with the "Everything is always happiness, cotton candy, kittens, and sunshine at the wonderful world of MSG"

I remember a few years into his career they had one of those "getting to know you" things Lundqvist did and he said his favorite show was Dexter. I'm sure PR gave him an earful after haha.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Dave can be Dave on radio because not as many people listen and in between the benches because he's a third man. If he was the main CC guy, you know he'd be muted by Rosasco with the "Everything is always happiness, cotton candy, kittens, and sunshine at the wonderful world of MSG"

I remember a few years into his career they had one of those "getting to know you" things Lundqvist did and he said his favorite show was Dexter. I'm sure PR gave him an earful after haha.
your probably right, but the few times i listen to ranger games on the radio you can hear dave's passion

hes also very knowledgeable and occasionally i want to have a homer announcing our games

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I do go back a ways and have to say I was not a fan of Jim Gordon or Bill Chadwick either. I always thought Marv Albert and Sal Messina on the Rangers radio broadcast were light years superior. Go back and look at some of the Rangers clips on youtube in the 70's and 80's and the commentary from Chadwick and Gordon is wincingly bad---puerile really. They weren't the only ones---the Flyers and Islanders TV people--just ****ing awful. There was almost always engaging commentary coming from the Rangers radio team though and I never could understand why the Rangers just didn't chuck those two ****heads and go with Albert and Messina instead. Marv also did the Knicks though and maybe that was partly why.

Was just thinking about Red Light the other day. Him & Marv were perfect together. They had just tremendous chemistry. Sal knew how to take Marv's "insults" in stride & was always succinct with his analysis. Those two had a knack for describing what they saw on the ice & it was almost like you were watching the game instead of listening. There wasn't much of a drop off when Howie Rose filled in & then took over for Marv.

I also loved when Sal would fill in on TV for JD occasionally. You could tell he wasn't a flashy guy with his outdated wardrobe, but he always brought his A game. He was never a homer, but you knew his heart was always Blue. He was such a pro.

Agree with you about Chadwick, but not Gordon. Chadwick dragged Gordon down completely. I loved Jim when he was the Giants radio guy.

Nobody, & I mean nobody, was worse than Eddie Westphal!

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If a Rangers player is playing like crap Dave let's you know. I can appreciate that. He's not going to continually make excuses for guys underperforming or competing hard enough. I like my teams to work hard and when a player or the team is dogging it I don't appreciate it when it goes unremarked.

Anyway I remember Maloney very well as a player. He never really reached his upside. He was an underage 1st round draft pick in his draft year and turned into a pretty good second pairing defenseman. He wasn't really very tough but he played a snarly, agitating, passionate style of game. He had personality and it comes across even today.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Was just thinking about Red Light the other day. Him & Marv were perfect together. They had just tremendous chemistry. Sal knew how to take Marv's "insults" in stride & was always succinct with his analysis. Those two had a knack for describing what they saw on the ice & it was almost like you were watching the game instead of listening. There wasn't much of a drop off when Howie Rose filled in & then took over for Marv.

I also loved when Sal would fill in on TV for JD occasionally. You could tell he wasn't a flashy guy with his outdated wardrobe, but he always brought his A game. He was never a homer, but you knew his heart was always Blue. He was such a pro.

Agree with you about Chadwick, but not Gordon. Chadwick dragged Gordon down completely. I loved Jim when he was the Giants radio guy.

No doubt Gordon would have been better without Chadwick and that Chadwick was worse. Together they always struck me as two fussy old bachelors.

Living upstate and with only a handful of television channels in the 70's the Rangers would televise most of their road games on WOR with Gordon and Chadwick. Almost all of their home games and some road games I would catch on WNBC radio and Albert and Messina as you said were really, really good. There was a lot of good natured ribbing of Sal by Marv but Marv's rapid fire descriptions of the play did indeed create visions of the action that Messina would unfailingly color in afterwards. My first ten years or so as a Rangers fan I listened to more games on the radio than I watched on television and I almost preferred listening to watching then.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
No doubt Gordon would have been better without Chadwick and that Chadwick was worse. Together they always struck me as two fussy old bachelors.

Living upstate and with only a handful of television channels in the 70's the Rangers would televise most of their road games on WOR with Gordon and Chadwick. Almost all of their home games and some road games I would catch on WNBC radio and Albert and Messina as you said were really, really good. There was a lot of good natured ribbing of Sal by Marv but Marv's rapid fire descriptions of the play did indeed create visions of the action that Messina would unfailingly color in afterwards. My first ten years or so as a Rangers fan I listened to more games on the radio than I watched on television and I almost preferred listening to watching then.

Living in the Queens it was the same. Up until late 1985!, the only borough wired for cable in NYC was Manhattan, so the outer boroughs would never see Ranger home games. It was WOR for road games, & WNBC radio for Home Games. And WOR only broadcast about 15-20 games a season at that point, so it was mostly radio anyway.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
The only other guys in the league I enjoyed as much were the old Sharks guys, but that team was split up a few years ago.

The analyst you're talking about is Drew Remenda, and yes he's very good. He's bounced back and forth between the Sharks and Oilers, most recently the Oilers.

Craig Simpson is in his own category. Other analysts I like are Ray Ferraro (TSN and some NBC), Olczyk when he's doing the Blackhawks, not so much his work on NBC, Garry Galley (Hockey Night in Canada), Mike Greenlay (Wild) and Kelly Hrudey (Flames).

As far as play-by-play there is Jim Hughson, and there is everybody else. There are some good ones like John Kelly (Blues) and Dean Brown (Senators) but no one else is in Hughson's class.

Last edited:
Reactions: White Plains Batman

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
To me at least, there's a difference between being a homer and being overtly critical and calling a guy out publicly for a mistake. When I think of homers, the bar is set at Cusick and Sanderson from WSBK in Boston. Blatant. J.D. was the best in the business for a good stretch. Bill Clement was good too. Some of the voices now leave me wondering. Like Milbury. He's the anti homer. He hates everyone and calls it that way. He's somehow turned being an average defenseman and far below average GM into a lifelong gig. I don't know how he's managed but he's got more lives than a cat.

Cusick and Sanderson were the biggest homers ever, but they were a riot to listen to. I loved watching games on NESN. I think back then I watched 300+ games a year.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The analyst you're talking about is Drew Remenda, and yes he's very good. He's bounced back and forth between the Sharks and Oilers, most recently the Oilers.

Craig Simpson is in his own category. Other analysts I like are Ray Ferraro (TSN and some NBC), Olczyk when he's doing the Blackhawks, not so much his work on NBC, Garry Galley (Hockey Night in Canada), Mike Greenlay (Wild) and Kelly Hrudey (Flames).

As far as play-by-play there is Jim Hughson, and there is everybody else. There are some good ones like John Kelly (Blues) and Dean Brown (Senators) but no one else is in Hughson's class.

Thank you. I think it was Remada and Jaime "Game 7" Pushor as a team? It was only a few years ago but I've been through so much with school and work, I forgot his name lol.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Any chance Vally goes from studio to the booth?

I thought the short-lived Billy Jaffe was good.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
People are spoiled...

You want bad color commentary? Watch the Pens home games... listen to Phil Esposito call a Lightning game...

Do that for like:05 secs & Joe is a dream comparatively.
Phil Esposito is BRUTAL! He sounds like a random guy in the stands that they gave a mic to; sort of like Susan Sarandon level bad.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

Listen to the Caps' guy Craig Laughlin. I think that's how you spell his name. He reminds me of Eddie Westphal. Bad!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Phil Esposito is BRUTAL! He sounds like a random guy in the stands that they gave a mic to; sort of like Susan Sarandon level bad.

No one is worse than the Red Wings color guy.

His analysis is basically sounding like a broken sfx board for a 1980's b movie. He makes Sarandon sound like JD.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I brought this up a couple months back. I love Maloney. I love Valiquette even more.

Would be happy to see Micheletti doing NBC / Islanders-Devils work on SNY or whatever. Succeeding JD was/is difficult. He tried. I'll give him a C+ ... In short, he's on borrowed time to me. Nothing personal, just not for MSG. I don't want to see him on again.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Joe M and Sam are certainly competent compared to most hockey broadcasters. What is ironic however is that Kenny Albert and Dave Maloney are way better than them. I wonder how long they will stay doing radio if Sam and Joe M keep them blocked from moving up to TV. Kenny is the number one hockey announcer in the country (only surpassed by the greatest sports announcer in history - Emerick) but can't do TV here because of Sam, who has lost a bit off his fastball. Joe is good but too much of a homer and a bit tiresome at this point. Kudo's to Joe for his ability to see what happens so accurately; but his commentary and cliches have worn thin for me. It would be awesome to have Kenny and Dave move up before we lose them, especially Kenny who must have many attractive opportunities come his way.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Kenny, Dave and Steve could be our Gary, Keith and Ron.

Instead we'll LaGreca, Giannone, and an immortal Al Trautwig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad