Joe Hicketts Recalled

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Rooting for the kid ever since that tournament. He was outstanding there. Also a biest in preseason. More than deserving of a shot. He'll continue to prove people wrong. Hopefully they're gonna use him properly.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
so out of the three, who in your mind should be playing tonight?

Hmmm.
Let's see.

Green
Dekeyser
Kronwall
Ericsson
Jensen
XO

There's 6.

Why are we calling up a defenseman?

If we're looking to the future, I guess I don't mind giving Hicketts a look.
But honestly, I don't think he's got much of a future in the NHL.
I'd also consider Hronek.

But if it was about tonight's game? I'd probably look at McIlrath.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
Hmmm.
Let's see.

Green
Dekeyser
Kronwall
Ericsson
Jensen
XO

There's 6.

At this point in the season, I'd rather take a look at Hicketts than XO/Jensen. Anything can be better. I'm not going to debate with you on whether or not XO/Jensen have much of a future in the NHL as well, bc its a personal opinion, but if you'd rather continue seeing XO/Jensen, thats your personal opinion.

I would put Hicketts as an above average skater, but certainly faster than any of the other defensemen on last year’s calder cup winning roster. He knows how to escape forechecking pressure, knows how to take body and deliver BIG hits in his own zone. Something this team’s been missing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Probert

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hmmm.
Let's see.

Green
Dekeyser
Kronwall
Ericsson
Jensen
XO

There's 6.

I don’t get you at all. McIlrath is 25, he’s a career AHLer. Zero NHL future. Hicketts may not be killing it this season but taking a look at kids like that is exactly what we should be doing and what many, including you, seem to have argued FOR previously.

Let him sink or swim? See what we’ve got in him? He actually COULD factor into our future.

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don’t get you at all. McIlrath is 25, he’s a career AHLer. Zero NHL future. Hicketts may not be killing it this season but taking a look at kids like that is exactly what we should be doing and what many, including you, seem to have argued FOR previously.

Let him sink or swim? See what we’ve got in him? He actually COULD factor into our future.

I offered two trains of thought.

If it's about the future, I'd go with Hronek probably, but fine, have Hicketts play.

But if it's about winning tonight, I'd go with McIlrath.

But at the end of the day, I don't see Hicketts having a good career.

And I don't see why we're already tossing XO in the trash heap at 24 years old.

Another CHLer getting f***ed over by Coach Red, White and Blue.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
As a hockey fan, I have always loved Hicketts. The guy has a heart of lion and leaves it all on the ice. He is skilled and patient with the puck and stronger than you would think. He seems to successfully play Above his weight class and has above average mobility. I think one of his best attributes is his ability to get get shots through the lanes and on net; something the Red Wings are desperate for.

As a Red Wings fan I have tempered my appreciation and expectations for Hicketts simply because of his size.

I'll always cheer for hicketts though. He seems to surpass expectations at every level. Go get 'em kid!

Reactions: Obe2kenobe

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Don’t care if it’s xo or Jensen hopefully one goes then we move green and bring up Hronek.

E- Daley
Kronwall- Hronek
DK- hickets

At least it’s something to look forward to because right now there really is no excitement to watching this crap product

This is enticing, but I'd leave Hronek down for the entire season. Let him continue to gain confidence in the A, then next year compete for an NHL job in camp, if he doesn't make it, then he'll get a shot next year. I wouldn't be opposed giving him a game or 2 at the end of the year though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hicketts may not be killing it this season but taking a look at kids like that is exactly what we should be doing and what many, including you, seem to have argued FOR previously.

For sure this.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Thank you for this. Too many times fans just see the stat line and label the player based on that.

You are welcome. I attend ALL the Griffins home games in person, not watching it online, or look at every box score to see if everyone's favorite player is on it or not. What Hicketts does on a game to game basis, you will most likely not see in the box score. He is not an offensive type d-man like Hronek and Russo are down here, but he is not afraid to take a hit and give out a hit to break up a play or prevent a great scoring chance for the other team. He hustles every night and he like other players will have his good game and a bad game happen. It is part of the process of trying to make it in the NHL.

Give a player like Hicketts a chance to play in his first NHL regular season game tonight and see how he does and then praise or criticize him for what he did or did not do on the ice. I get tired of people already calling him a failure when he has not stepped on the ice to see what this kid can do. The Wings need a d-man that is not afraid to take a guy out when a winger is coming in on Howard and has a great scoring chance on him.

Not surprised to see what Jensen and Ouellet are doing this season in Detroit. That is what fans in GR got see in those two players the past several season here. Wings fans are starting to see what GR fans already have witnessed on Jensen and Ouellet. Just a matter of time. I hope Hicketts does well tonight in NJ for the Wings. Nice down to earth type of guy off the ice.

Reactions: Hammettf2b

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
I offered two trains of thought.

If it's about the future, I'd go with Hronek probably, but fine, have Hicketts play.

But if it's about winning tonight, I'd go with McIlrath.

But at the end of the day, I don't see Hicketts having a good career.

And I don't see why we're already tossing XO in the trash heap at 24 years old.

Another CHLer getting ****ed over by Coach Red, White and Blue.

You dont see Hicketts having a good career? What is this based on? His AHL stats, please, bud!

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
This is enticing, but I'd leave Hronek down for the entire season. Let him continue to gain confidence in the A, then next year compete for an NHL job in camp, if he doesn't make it, then he'll get a shot next year. I wouldn't be opposed giving him a game or 2 at the end of the year though.
I think giving him the chance to play right after deadline would be nice, give him 5-10 games if he sticks he sticks if not he goes back down and it gives him an opportunity to improve and that drive to get a roster spot next October

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Big Joe looked pretty good in his NHL debut asides from the hit he made where he left his defensive partner scrambling back to the D zone.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He didn't look any worse than XO. Not saying much, but at least he's serviceable.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Big Joe looked pretty good in his NHL debut asides from the hit he made where he left his defensive partner scrambling back to the D zone.

He did that twice... Good debut, he is in for a couple painful moments but I liked that he came in and immediately played his game.

Some of my concerns are still there, but I really liked the way he was true to who he is.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
He definitely made two errors leading directly to his teammates having to take two separate minor penalties to avoid a scoring chance. That said, I still think he had a good first NHL game. He skates well, his passing is solid, and he kept it fairly simple. I'd play him over XO at this point, and while I might have lumped Jensen in there as well, I thought Jensen had a good game last night as well. Hell, I thought Ericsson was downright excellent last night, maybe one of his better games in long time. Larkin looked hungry and angry. Good stuff!

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
First game was pretty much what I expected. Decent game. Did some nice, flashy things, but he needs to correct his errors ASAP. Turning nothing plays into odd man rushes will get you out of the NHL real quick and he can not let that be any sort of a trend if he wants to stick around

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I think the 2.88 ga/60 is the big one.

I keep hearing about how much XO sucks.
The Red Wings score more goals when XO is on the ice and allow fewer goals.

Jensen, every 5-6 games, will have a nice rush up the ice that makes you think he's a good player. But most, he just

Over the last 2 years, only Dekeyser has a worse GF% on the Red Wings D.

So what you're saying is that Jensen deserves to be paid in the top 4 range for the better part of the next decade?

Reactions: Redder Winger

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think the 2.88 ga/60 is the big one.

I keep hearing about how much XO sucks.
The Red Wings score more goals when XO is on the ice and allow fewer goals.

Jensen, every 5-6 games, will have a nice rush up the ice that makes you think he's a good player. But most, he just

Over the last 2 years, only Dekeyser has a worse GF% on the Red Wings D.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*breathes*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This sounds one hell of a lot like the criticism of another player on this roster... now who was that?

Reactions: Redder Winger

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
All in all I thought it was a good debut for Joe. I hope we get to see more of him. I certainly appreciate his confidence.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->