Joe Hicketts Recalled

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Actually surprising given how bad he's been in GR, never really understood the hype for a 5"6 D-man.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Doesn't seem like he's had a very good year down in GR but you never know, sometimes an NHL callup is exactly what is needed to spark a guy.

This could be very important for Joe, if he doesn't grab the opportunity he may find himself quickly bypassed by Hronek/Saarijarvi/Cholowski/etc.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good news for the tank.

Holland will say what he wants, but this is the first clear cut tank move for me this year.

I know Daley went down, but they could have gone with a steady guy from the AHL with NHL experience in this role and choose not to.

I am excited to see what he can do. Hopefully he can figure out a way to adapt to the NHL given his physical limitations. The kid has a ton of heart and hockey sense. I have doubts, but I will be rooting hard for him.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Doesn't seem like he's had a very good year down in GR but you never know, sometimes an NHL callup is exactly what is needed to spark a guy.

This could be very important for Joe, if he doesn't grab the opportunity he may find himself quickly bypassed by Hronek/Saarijarvi/Cholowski/etc.

I just don’t think it’s all about numbers with hickets. He’s a battler, he makes plays and he never stops working that’s why he’s overcome the odds at every level and succeeded there. I do believe he will be a solid 3-4-5 type d-man right away

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Hicketts sucks.
Guy has sucked all year. He's physically overmatched in GR and somehow he's going to work against bigger, faster and stronger guys in the NHL?
#pipedream

Reactions: mjtm777

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I just don’t think it’s all about numbers with hickets. He’s a battler, he makes plays and he never stops working that’s why he’s overcome the odds at every level and succeeded there. I do believe he will be a solid 3-4-5 type d-man right away

Imagine I take the first two sentences and apply it to Abdelkader or Helm...

At a certain point being 5'6" is going to be a problem. That with not being an electric skater which is how most little guys make up for their size. Go ahead and tell me he is 5'8" I have heard that is baloney from people that have met him in person.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Imagine I take the first two sentences and apply it to Abdelkader or Helm...

At a certain point being 5'6" is going to be a problem. That with not being an electric skater which is how most little guys make up for their size. Go ahead and tell me he is 5'8" I have heard that is baloney from people that have met him in person.
Why do I care if he’s 5’6”? If he skates, passes well, and is strong as an ox which he’s proven he is why do I care how tall he is?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why do I care if he’s 5’6”? If he skates, passes well, and is strong as an ox which he’s proven he is why do I care how tall he is?

He is an average skater, that might be generous at the NHL level. He doesn't skate a whole lot better than Ouellet in all honesty. I care because things like reach are big at the highest level. The NHL is the best league on the planet. D-man are unbelievable at clogging lanes, deflecting pucks and playing in tight spaces on the smallest rinks on earth. To not be able to take away some of that space could be a massive problem. I hope he is Francois Bouillon I am just not sure he will be it is a tough road to hoe.

Again I will be rooting for him. I like Joe Hicketts the hockey player, I like what he is about and everything you read on him. But he is facing significant odds to make it at this level. He hasn't had a great year in the AHL with the other teams having a scouting report and plan of attack on his either.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
He is an average skater, that might be generous at the NHL level. He doesn't skate a whole lot better than Ouellet in all honesty. I care because things like reach are big at the highest level. The NHL is the best league on the planet. D-man are unbelievable at clogging lanes, deflecting pucks and playing in tight spaces on the smallest rinks on earth. To not be able to take away some of that space could be a massive problem. I hope he is Francois Bouillon I am just not sure he will be it is a tough road to hoe.

Again I will be rooting for him. I like Joe Hicketts the hockey player, I like what he is about and everything you read on him. But he is facing significant odds to make it at this level. He hasn't had a great year in the AHL with the other teams having a scouting report and plan of attack on his either.

Well I think in terms of the loss of reach he’s gonna need to make up for that with his gaps he’s gonna need to be really good with his gaps so that he isn’t relying on his reach. But him being small for so many years and dealing with these issues I believe he knows that and has compensated. I agree there are challenges but I do believe a small guy can succeed and even excel at the nhl level today

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I am pulling for him but I think his skating will really be exposed and prove to be an issue at the NHL level. I think smaller guys can play defense in the NHL effectively, but they need to be elite, elite skaters and need to get to pucks first in the defensive zone. As soon as you cede possession to defend you are screwed as smaller defensemen. You need to consistently be the first to pucks. Never mind that Hicketts isn't just small but tiny.

That said I am still very much pulling for him

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Tyler Bertuzzi - 6'1 190 pounds. AHL this year: 16 games 7-7-14
Joe Hicketts - 5'7 180 pounds. AHL this year: 43 games 2-6-8

One guy has NHL size and the requisite production you'd expect at a lower level.
One guy will be the smallest D in the NHL and has almost no production at a lower level.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
We talking about the same Bertuzzi that has played a grand total of 19 NHL games? If so, i really doubt anyone can look smart or dumb from such a tiny sample size.
Well those of us who liked him got told we where stupid and he was never going to be a NHL player. Even after his first game where super coach told him not to hit, not to try and do much. All we heard on this page was how bad he was and how stupid we where for wanting him on the team. Joe cant be any worse than XO, DK, or knees for that matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad