(jinx) when was the last finnish bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Laituri said:
The 1995 draft was a total failure. Teemu Riihijärvi is the worst Finnish pick ever at 12th, Miika Elomo crashed and burned at 23rd, Marko Mäkinen's development was messed up at 64th.

And who was responsible for most of the Finns picked (by the Sharks) in that draft? Erkki Liesmäki, who was working for the Sharks back then. Apart from the Toskala (and maybe Kipper) pick, how they must be cursing his name...

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Jussi said:
That's a big mystery, just like Kai Nurminen. Both had decent stats in the AHL and when (or if) called up were able to contribute. Lemaire must have something against players coming of a great season with TPS Turku. :joker:

From what I can recall, Virta had a very good pre season (training camp) with the Wild and was playing with Gaborik. He was one of the last players cut and had an okay year playing with the Houston Aeros. Don't believe he was ever called up and he returned to Finland the following year. I believe he would have had 40+ points or more if he had been able to play with Gaborik that year.

Zettler

Jun 29, 2004
Quebec City
how about Vesa Viitakoski select 32nd overall by the Flames in '90 2 goals & 4 assists in 23 NHL games. He now playing in Finland...

pihinalle

Mar 30, 2002
Visit site
bossy22 said:
From what I can recall, Virta had a very good pre season (training camp) with the Wild and was playing with Gaborik. He was one of the last players cut and had an okay year playing with the Houston Aeros. Don't believe he was ever called up and he returned to Finland the following year. I believe he would have had 40+ points or more if he had been able to play with Gaborik that year.

Virta was called up for nine games I think. He got something like 2g+3a. Just trying to remember. Too tired to find out.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Viitakoski had an excellent preseason in '94, but the lockout stripped him of his key opportunity. I believe he would have made a good NHL player if handled properly. Anyway, it isn't sensible to look that far, European scouting was from another planet back then.

Tume

Dec 23, 2003
Finland
pihinalle said:
Virta was called up for nine games I think. He got something like 2g+3a. Just trying to remember. Too tired to find out.

8 games. 2 goals + 3 assists.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Laituri said:
The 1995 draft was a total failure. Aki Berg's hockey sense never developed and 3rd was way too early. Teemu Riihijärvi is the worst Finnish pick ever at 12th, Miika Elomo crashed and burned at 23rd, Marko Mäkinen's development was messed up at 64th.

Hardly a total failure when ya produce Vesa Toskala in the 4th and Miikka Kiprusoff in the 5th.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Tume said:
8 games. 2 goals + 3 assists.

In 2001-02, he played 67 games with the Houston Aeros in the AHL and had 58 Pts in 67 games. Was called up and played 8 games for the Wild and he recorded 5 pts at the end of the year.

These numbers and his late season call up, had many people talking about him playing fulltime for the Wild in 02-03. Many people thought he'd have a great year playing on the same line as Gaborik but he didn't make the team and didn't have as successful a year with Houston. He ended the year in the SEL.

I think he lead HPK in scoring this year or was one of the top scorers on that squad.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Now that we've tossed names around... what do you all think... does it "mean anything" that we've discussed...?

Here's what I think: Finland's hockey program is getting better and better and these prospects developing overseas maybe getting some pretty good coaching that is readying them for the NHL {whether the Finland teams like it or not}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad