Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
For the life of me I cannot understand why Vesey gets scoring line minutes and PP time. He's a 4th liner. One of those infuriating AV things I will never understand.

He's 9th in ice time among forwards and 6 forwards average more PP time a game than him. What are you going on about?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The 3rd period yesterday specifically. I don't think he should be in the top-9 either.

Alright, but that is just one period. And nobody could score a goal so AV was trying different things. I have no problem with it. Plus he led forwards in shots so maybe AV saw something.

He has more potential than the other 4th liners and needs ice time if he is going to improve. I think people are forgetting he is a 2nd year player..

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
To me, the 2nd year player thing would be more relevant if Jimmy was 19 or 20. He's already 24.

That's not to say that he can't take another step but at his age I'm rather cautious about it. Especially considering his past and present play.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Would not be surprised if he's in the AHL or overseas in a couple years. He's a fringe player, almost too good for the AHL, not quite good enough for the NHL. If the Rangers decide to dump him, teams will line up for a shot at him. You can see flashes when he carries the puck through the neutral zone into the offensive zone but after that he usually kills the play because he can't do much at that point. Classic tweener.

Obviously we gave up nothing for him (lol @ Buffalo) so even if he's not an NHL regular for this team throughout his prime, oh well.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's totally expendable imo, I'm not seeing him drive the net, skate at full speed every game, finish checks, cause turnovers, block shots, or anything that constitutes a winning effort.

Hes a nice showpiece for attracting baby Ufas, but package him and move on.

There will be teams that still see that junior year player from Harvard, and think getting him out of NYC would do him good.

I'd package him plus Hayes for a top 6 center... But that won't get it done imo.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It was painfully obvious he needed AHL time last year. He probably could use it this year. The issue is, we're running out of development time with him. 24 is no spring chicken in this league anymore. I'm not convinced we have any better options in the lineup than him at the moment, though. Sort of not the best idea to destroy your depth in the off-season and backfill it with nothing. But hey, what can ya do.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It was painfully obvious he needed AHL time last year. He probably could use it this year. The issue is, we're running out of development time with him. 24 is no spring chicken in this league anymore. I'm not convinced we have any better options in the lineup than him at the moment, though. Sort of not the best idea to destroy your depth in the off-season and backfill it with nothing. But hey, what can ya do.

The problem this year is that he is not waiver exempt anymore. He needed to go to the AHL last year but now we are stuck with him

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
More than running out of time, the issue is the coach seems to think he's doing great. Gets important minutes, gets 2PP time... it's insane.

IMO he doesn't need to "develop" so much more as much as he needs to pick a style of play and focus on using his skills to best fit it. He has a lot of raw skills, just doesn't seem to know how to use them or what kind of player he is. IMO he should work on throwing the body, being quick in on the forecheck and slamming in garbage goals from the crease. He's got the size and speed for it if he'd button down and focus on it. Of course, if you're him why think about drastically changing your game when the coach seems to love your current ineffective one?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's smart but disengaged.

To me he's a bare minimum type of guy. Too mercurial to be a part of an winning core, and too ineffectual to be a desirable merc.

It's a contract year for him. Maybe he's resigned himself to a generic market value bridge deal before trying to cash out as a UFA.

I just don't see a player you win with here. Nothing wrong with that for Jimmy. He'll have himself a nice career... But he's not a guy I'd go to battle with when it counts.

I don't hold it against Jimmy at all, it's up to Gorts and Gordie to look past their Southsode homies and get some real high character guys in that bottom six.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
did he play well? did he really?

i didnt think he did..honestly i thought he was the worst player on that line.

Was he the worst? I don't know, I didn't think he was that bad, but I think the standards for Vesey playing well are now so low. If he looks active a few shifts, we are told he played well.

First of all, he needs to be off the PP. His role after that should depend on the other players, he's not good enough to earn a role by himself. He'll have to do so by the shear lack of team forward depth. Give Lettieri a try, maybe that lessens Vesey's role. Maybe Lettieri also isn't any good, the team needs to let him prove himself to be good enough or not good enough. When will Chytil come up? Is it time to give Tambellini a chance? Vesey's at the point where he should be the top option to come out if any of the Hartford guys are called up. I think Desharnais is a much better player than him, if used correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->