Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I’m not saying Vesey is a better player than Buch. I’m not even a big fan of Vesey. But people on here say he’s a borderline NHLer. The guy is a free asset. A player who can rotate between the third and fourth line and put up 15-20 goals a year and plays tough. I use Buchnevich as a comparison because so many posters are in love with the guy but hate Vesey. Meanwhile Vesey has more goals in as many games.

It's the WAY you presented this idea that was problematic here. That said, if that's what you are trying to demonstrate then that is fair.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Jimmy Vesey 7 assists in 67 games played is legendary.
The only way I would resign him, is if I was intentionally trying to throw away next season as well.

2 million dollars for this guy is over-payment. I can't stand watching him play.

I hope Gorton kicks him to the curb this off-season.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Jimmy Vesey 7 assists in 67 games played is legendary.
The only way I would resign him, is if I was intentionally trying to throw away next season as well.

2 million dollars for this guy is over-payment. I can't stand watching him play.

I hope Gorton kicks him to the curb this off-season.
What is more legendary is that you for some reason are surprised by this.

Get a damn clue as to who you are talking about.

Vesey is NOT a playmaker. He is not a guy who sets his linemates up. He is a player whose game lives around the goal mouth. He bangs home his goals there. He is a big body. When he is doing that he is effective. He is everything he should be which is fine for this team as a 3rd liner.

Also just as absurd as it is to reference 7 assists from a guy who is not a playmaker, is pointing that out when he is a member of what has been an abysmal team with no real snipers on it. So there's that.

Reactions: bl02

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
In the past two seasons, Jimmy Vesey has been on the ice for 233 more shots on goal against than for at 5-on-5. The next biggest negative is 183. His goal deficit is 25, next lowest is -18. He's going to need to (a) get pretty elite at finishing arounfd the net, or (2) develop a second skill for me to be a believer.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
There's no reason to get rid of Vesey at this time. We have no winger depth at all in Hartford and it's not likely a draftee will step in next season either. He's a body you resign for 2 years at $1.1 and expose him in the expansion draft. He's gotten way too much benefit of the doubt from coaches while being invisible for long stretches but he's young enough to try to carve out a role until we have better players to take his spot.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
**Starts Vesey vs. Buchnevich debates in two threads**

**Loses debates**

"I’m not saying Vesey is a better player than Buch."

Ahh, the adventures of Nocuckluck
There’s just no way that it isn’t just another sock puppet account for TurgePurge. Same posting style, same dumb takes. I wonder if he’ll start calling ADA the next Poti. Elaborate ruse!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
What enmity on this board sometimes.

Vesey is not the main problem with the team. He's underwhelmed in his two years. I could say that about a bunch of others--some of whom (Nash for instance) are now ex-Rangers. Vesey might be an ex-Ranger one of these days too but for now he basically gets third line minutes with some (not a lot) of power play time. If he's around next year he's not likely to have a big cap hit and if he continues to bang in 15 or 15+ goals a year playing as much as not with the bottom 6'ers for $1.5 or $1.7 you could do a lot f***ing worse. Just saying.

If we look down the forward roster of this team I see 7 guys I would call 2nd line quality players--Zuccarello, Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Kreider, Hayes, Namestnikov and Spooner. Two third liners--Fast and Vesey. Then there's Desharnais however you want to categorize him. A 4th liner in Carey. An NHL/AHL tweener in Holland and a goon in McLeod. Want to know why are forward group kind of sucks?--IMO it's because we don't really have even one forward who's likely to hit 60 points this year. We'll probably have a couple Namestnikov and Zuccarello who will get into the 50's. So we have nothing top end and not enough depth at the bottom end. It's a mediocre group of forwards.

And we've gone from having a so-so defense to having a pretty bad inexperienced defense. The one guy who has kept the team afloat all year is Henrik.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What enmity on this board sometimes.

Vesey is not the main problem with the team. He's underwhelmed in his two years. I could say that about a bunch of others--some of whom (Nash for instance) are now ex-Rangers. Vesey might be an ex-Ranger one of these days too but for now he basically gets third line minutes with some (not a lot) of power play time. If he's around next year he's not likely to have a big cap hit and if he continues to bang in 15 or 15+ goals a year playing as much as not with the bottom 6'ers for $1.5 or $1.7 you could do a lot ****ing worse. Just saying.

If we look down the forward roster of this team I see 7 guys I would call 2nd line quality players--Zuccarello, Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Kreider, Hayes, Namestnikov and Spooner. Two third liners--Fast and Vesey. Then there's Desharnais however you want to categorize him. A 4th liner in Carey. An NHL/AHL tweener in Holland and a goon in McLeod. Want to know why are forward group kind of sucks?--IMO it's because we don't really have even one forward who's likely to hit 60 points this year. We'll probably have a couple Namestnikov and Zuccarello who will get into the 50's. So we have nothing top end and not enough depth at the bottom end. It's a mediocre group of forwards.

And we've gone from having a so-so defense to having a pretty bad inexperienced defense. The one guy who has kept the team afloat all year is Henrik.

Good post. I wonder at what age youthful maximalism or absolutism gives rise to a more objective sensible view.

Right now this team suffers from a lack of depth especially obvious in the 4th line - a far cry from recent past days of Boyle, Moore, Prust etc. Because of it every single player is exposed to criticism, maybe with an exception of Hayes and Fast. A couple of prospects that should come up next year and maybe a key UFA signings that push Vesey (and maybe Fast) to 4th line where these guys should be perfectly fine for what they bring in the context of their salary.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
What is more legendary is that you for some reason are surprised by this.

Get a damn clue as to who you are talking about.

Vesey is NOT a playmaker. He is not a guy who sets his linemates up. He is a player whose game lives around the goal mouth. He bangs home his goals there. He is a big body. When he is doing that he is effective. He is everything he should be which is fine for this team as a 3rd liner.

Also just as absurd as it is to reference 7 assists from a guy who is not a playmaker, is pointing that out when he is a member of what has been an abysmal team with no real snipers on it. So there's that.

First off, I'm happy we can agree he is not a playmaker.

Secondly, as you stated, when he grinds he is effective. He does not forecheck and win battles nearly enough. When I think of grinders I think 20-30 year old Callahan and dubinsky. Prust, Avery to some extent, Fast, Hagelin, prior years Zuccarello, etc. If you consider him a grinder, he is undoubtedly the most passive grinder I have ever watched.

I don't know why you are so defensive of a borderline 13th forward.

He fails every analytical category and every eye test.

Hopefully we can draft tkachuk, and Ranger fans can watch a real grinder.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
It is my opinion that Jimmy Vesey does everything slightly below average except corner work which is slightly above average. This is no knock on his character. Right now he is a bottom six forward on a rebuilding team and hopefully he will he will improve or I suspect his fate will be bouncing around the league on rebuilding teams in that same role. It is my belief that he does not have the physicality to be a bottom six forward on a contending team nor the skill set to be a top six forward on any NHL club. I wish him success and hope he is able to develop as a player.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Blazephr

Jun 23, 2008
Vermont - NYC
Is there anyone else that feels Vesey should of started last season with Hartford? Through out his time in NY theres been no motivation on his part to get better as a player. If I’m not mistaken, he’s never really been a scratch. There was a missed chance to develope him properly and make him earn his ice time. He seems to have a bit of a nose for the front the net but yet he’s almost never there. He should be parking himself there like Gallagher does in Montreal. He lacks that compete level, which did show up in the play offs at times. I think AV failed to bring him along and should of showed some tough love like he did Miller on countless occasions.

Reactions: jas

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is there anyone else that feels Vesey should of started last season with Hartford? Through out his time in NY theres been no motivation on his part to get better as a player. If I’m not mistaken, he’s never really been a scratch. There was a missed chance to develope him properly and make him earn his ice time. He seems to have a bit of a nose for the front the net but yet he’s almost never there. He should be parking himself there like Gallagher does in Montreal. He lacks that compete level, which did show up in the play offs at times. I think AV failed to bring him along and should of showed some tough love like he did Miller on countless occasions.

He was scratched once last season after a game where he had some terrible turnovers.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Vesey probably had a guarantee from the team that they wouldn’t send him down

He wanted to play in the NHL, the Rangers granted it to him

What’re ya gonna do? :dunno:

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Vesey is horrific. Cmon. He goes to the dirty areas. Hits guys. Stands up for his teammates is durable. And scores between 16-20 goals a season as a bottom six player. He sucks.

Give me Buchnevich playing the game from his ass or back all night.

Do you people watch

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
By the way fancy stats guys if a bottom six player averages 15-20 goals does that mean a first line player averages 45-60 goals. It’s math after all!!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Bottom 6 player, who got some of the least amount of ice time this season, has scored 33 goals in his first 2 seasons so far, send him to the AHL, put him on waivers, cut his contract...sooo bad!!!!

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I'm really down on this board right now for all the hate our own players get. Vesey is just another guy who came up a Ranger and just isn't excellent enough for a vocal group of posters.

For where he plays and how long he's been in the league and how much he makes he is f*cking very good enough.
Thank you. Someone with common sense

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vesey's on pace for 27 points in 79 games. He had 27 in 80 last season. He's also played more this season.

Thats fine for a 9th forward or a 4th line guy, but that also ignores that Vesey is terrible defensively, and loses almost every board battle he faces. There would be a role for him, if he was good at the things most bottom 6'ers are good at. He's not though. If he can improve on those things, he could have a role, but I can't think his leash is very long anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad