Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
Vesey should've become one of the stars of the night in the whole league had they not reduced the list to two players, both of them reaching milestones.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Why can't he be a 20 goal scorer? I still would like see him given a shot at third or fourth line duties next year as opposed to tossing him aside like trash like many would prefer. Right now he is very far from being a top 6 guy but give me a guy who can score 15-20 goals on my 3rd or 4th line any day. What winger is gonna push him off the bottom six come next year?
He needs to be spoon fed way too much ES and PP time for what he is to reach his current goal totals.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
His slash line has actually been good since the trade deadline, so if this is the Vesey we have moving forward I’ll be happy. Fun fact, he has the 3rd and 4th highest ixGF and ixGF/60 for the whole year. He also has good zone entry/exit numbers, which also bodes well for the future.

I get it that the meme is that he’s not an NHLer, but he’s perfectly fine to have as a bottom-9 winger.

Reactions: belford222 and bl02

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He needs to be spoon fed way too much ES and PP time for what he is to reach his current goal totals.
How about having the proper linemates? Vesey is what he is. He is a player that goes to the net and scores a lot of his goals around there. He needs linemates that are playmakers and possession players. Needless to say we have far and few between of those this year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Sometimes animosity towards a player clouds reason.

Zuccarello 69 games played--average ice time 18.52--goals 14
Buchnevich 62 games played--average ice time 14.55--goals 14

Both Zucc and Buch get lots of power play time. Zucc has 1 goal--15 assists--16 power play points. Buch has 5 goals--9 assists--14 power play points.

Vesey 67 games played--average ice time 14.09--goals 15. Vesey gets some power play time. IMO he doesn't use it all that well and has only one assist this year. His stats aren't feeding off it for sure. Personally I'm not a fan of him on the power play at least at this point in time.

Even strength--Zucc--13 goals-32 points, Buch-9 goals-25 points--Vesey 15 goals-21 points. Vesey averaging almost 5 minutes less time than Zucc and about 1 minute less than Buch.

Not arguing that Vesey should be on the top two lines--just saying the hatred of him by some posters here is a little bit over the top.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
How about having the proper linemates? Vesey is what he is. He is a player that goes to the net and scores a lot of his goals around there. He needs linemates that are playmakers and possession players. Needless to say we have far and few between of those this year.
So the plan is to find him the perfect linemates so he might get his, what, 35 points? His most common linemates last season were Stepan and Nash and he put up 27 points in 80 games. I think the good linemates are best used elsewhere.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
As a few of you “knowledgeable” posters on here have stated there is NO WAY JIMMY VESEY is an NHL player. No way. He’s a free asset and scores between 15-20 goals per year ( right up there with our first line center and Russian first line winger) plus he plays with grit. But there’s no way he’s an NHL player. Now I’m going to stop so I can laugh
"scores between 15-20 goals per year"

Goal totals:
2016-17: 16
2017-18: 15

Congrats on back-to-back 20 point seasons, Jimmy!

P.S. Why don't the posters that will kill an offensive defenseman for a bad +/- kill a big winger for it?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So the plan is to find him the perfect linemates so he might get his, what, 35 points? His most common linemates last season were Stepan and Nash and he put up 27 points in 80 games. I think the good linemates are best used elsewhere.
It was his rookie season last year. He didnt always play with Nash and Stepan. Although his best play was seemingly when he was with Nash. He was pretty good in the Ottawa series playing with those two.

He has 15 goals this year on a bad team. His second year. He is going to improve imo and will be a 15-20 goal scorer throughout his career. Maybe reaching 25 once or twice. That is more than acceptable for a 3rd line winger.

If you felt he was going to be anything more than that then you set yourself up for disappointment.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It was his rookie season last year. He didnt always play with Nash and Stepan. Although his best play was seemingly when he was with Nash. He was pretty good in the Ottawa series playing with those two.

He has 15 goals this year on a bad team. His second year. He is going to improve imo and will be a 15-20 goal scorer throughout his career. Maybe reaching 25 once or twice. That is more than acceptable for a 3rd line winger.

If you felt he was going to be anything more than that then you set yourself up for disappointment.
I would definitely be satisfied with 15-20 goals if he wasn't bad at everything else.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I would definitely be satisfied with 15-20 goals if he wasn't bad at everything else.
This is quite the exaggeration for a 2nd year player.

3rd/4th line winger. Good size. Plays physical. Plays hard. Has an edge to him. His defensive game needs improvement. Decisions with the puck and positioning needs work. But let's not act like he is some complete lost cause.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This is quite the exaggeration for a 2nd year player.

3rd/4th line winger. Good size. Plays physical. Plays hard. Has an edge to him. His defensive game needs improvement. Decisions with the puck and positioning needs work. But let's not act like he is some complete lost cause.
Yes, he is a 2nd year player. He is also going to be able to rent a car this season. Both factors should be considered, but history isn't overrun with players who were 25 point players at 23 and 24 and were significant contributors later on.

He can't make or receive a pass, which is why he's where sustained pressure goes to die. You listed four positive attributes which all largely amount to "he sometimes puts a shoulder into someone". He is adept at creating space for himself with his body along the boards, which he uses to delay the inevitable turnover, which I suppose is somewhat useful.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Is this the thread where you post for the guy that scores more goals than Buchnevich?
He also has 5 more games and EIGHTEEN fewer assists. Then there are all those things that hockey players do besides scoring. Not saying Buch is better at all of them but you didn't even consider them.

Why make yourself look this bad? Don't you want to seem like you actually get the sport and can contribute to intelligent discussion?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On the question of bad +/-'s--the worst is Desharnais' which is not really a surprise. After him is Vesey. Close behind are DeAngelo and Skjei's has been plummeting. Zibanejad's and Fast who is arguably as good a defensive forward as we have come after them. Shattenkirk's is kind of a putrid but he hasn't played in a while. Conversely there is Marc Staal's who somehow or another is a +10. I would say though that Pionk and Staal have been our best pair lately.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Is this the thread where you post for the guy that scores more goals than Buchnevich?

No, this is where we post for the guy who has played less time this season but has more points than Vesey.

I guess that means we could also talk about David Desharnais in this thread as well. And Jesper Fast. And Kevin Shattenkirk.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
He also has 5 more games and EIGHTEEN fewer assists. Then there are all those things that hockey players do besides scoring. Not saying Buch is better at all of them but you didn't even consider them.

Why make yourself look this bad? Don't you want to seem like you actually get the sport and can contribute to intelligent discussion?
I’m not saying Vesey is a better player than Buch. I’m not even a big fan of Vesey. But people on here say he’s a borderline NHLer. The guy is a free asset. A player who can rotate between the third and fourth line and put up 15-20 goals a year and plays tough. I use Buchnevich as a comparison because so many posters are in love with the guy but hate Vesey. Meanwhile Vesey has more goals in as many games.

Reactions: bl02

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
No, this is where we post for the guy who has played less time this season but has more points than Vesey.

I guess that means we could also talk about David Desharnais in this thread as well. And Jesper Fast. And Kevin Shattenkirk.
Buchnevich has waaaaay more offensive upside than Vesey. You are also missing the point of my post

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Buchnevich has waaaaay more offensive upside than Vesey. You are also missing the point of my post

Combining that post with the one in the Buch thread, it's pretty obvious that I didn't miss the point in your post.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Combining that post with the one in the Buch thread, it's pretty obvious that I didn't miss the point in your post.
I’m not at all a Buch fan if that’s what you’re implying. True. Why should I be? What has he shown in the past few years. Never going to reach his potential. Hey. Hope I’m wrong

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
So the only bright side to Jimmy Vesey is that he scores more goals than Buchnevich?

Perhaps one day he’ll do literally anything else better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad