Jimmy Galante: The Mobster Who Bought His Son a Hockey Team

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Don't know if this is in the right section or even deserves a thread, but a fascinating story I had never heard of and figured others might enjoy.

A mobster bought a UHL team so his 17 year old son could be the GM. The kid ran the team much like a poster on here would, using hockeydb and hockeyfights.com to find players :laugh:

The Mobster Who Bought His Teenage Son a Hockey Team

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
I had never heard of this. Great read. The Sopranos vibe is strong here. The sons of the mobsters even share the same name, AJ.

Reactions: Killion

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
This is great stuff. I never attended a Trashers game, but I did lurk on a message board run by the Trashers fans and they were brutal. It was mostly the old Section 14 crew from the New Haven Coliseum who were always the rowdiest fans in the AHL. They migrated to Danbury because they hated Hartford and Bridgeport.

I got to know the guy who did game night operations for them when he took a similar job for a single A team in RI. He had some great stories.

I believe the Adirondack coach they are referring to was former NHLer Marc Potvin, who sadly committed suicide in a Kalamazoo hotel room on a road trip about a year after that incident.

Stephan Peat played briefly for them too.

Danbury had an FHL team until recently.

Reactions: Killion

SovietWings

Feb 1, 2017
Pardubice
When I was younger I used to think Atlanta Trashers were named after trash. So I am happy there really was a Trashers team with this name origin.:)

What confuses me is that the article said Brent Gretzky played for them but his wikipedia page states he played for Port Huron Beacons..

But the story is great, wish my father were mobster:D

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
When I was younger I used to think Atlanta Trashers were named after trash. So I am happy there really was a Trashers team with this name origin.:)

What confuses me is that the article said Brent Gretzky played for them but his wikipedia page states he played for Port Huron Beacons..

But the story is great, wish my father were mobster:D

Wiki incorrectly listed 04-05 as the Beacons instead of Trashers.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Wow, this is awesome lol.

"Guess what? We still got eight goons."

Can't make this up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->