Jimmy D on Detroit Sports radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
that's nuts. he was one of the biggest hardliners out there and now he's softened up???? good for him.

the guys on TSN (Healy to be specific) are suddenly optimistic. I have a feeling we'll still be let down but it seems as though the seeds for a deal are being laid down.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
jericholic19 said:
that's nuts. he was one of the biggest hardliners out there and now he's softened up???? good for him.

the guys on TSN (Healy to be specific) are suddenly optimistic. I have a feeling we'll still be let down but it seems as though the seeds for a deal are being laid down.

Actually Jimmy D is a part of one organization who doesn't really back Bettmans very much at all.

Ozy_Flame

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Not entirely surprised. He's always been a little off the beaten path on the owner's stance.

Not to mention he also works for the Red Wings, one of the biggest perpetrators of outrageous salaries. :teach:

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Ozy_Flame said:
Robert Lang, for one. You can argue against that if you like, but this salary was way beyond anything reasonable.

Ray Whitney, too.

When did the Red Wings sign Lang?

Whitney I will admit makes too mcuh money, but honestly, name another team that has suffered because of that deal?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Ozy_Flame said:
Not entirely surprised. He's always been a little off the beaten path on the owner's stance.

Not to mention he also works for the Red Wings, one of the biggest perpetrators of outrageous salaries. :teach:
Except Detroit was actually one of the 8 teams that voted against the last CBA and Devellano has been unrelenting in past interviews, saying a salary cap was the only way to go. A complete turnabout in this interview.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Who really cares what Jimmy D thinks? :shakehead

It's possible the NLRB might, if the NHL goes to them trying to implement their CBA, while saying "only a hard cap will do" when the Senior Vice-President/Alternate Governor of the DET Red Wings says a luxury tax might be feasible ???

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
lang's salary was inherited. whitney is being paid an average of 3.5 mill...which was only his market value at the time. i don't think the wings have been the perps of the escalating salaries but they have added to salary inflation. the real culprits, surpisingly, are the dingo's who avidly want linkage...Jacobs, Hicks, Karmanos. These guys set new standards for player salaries and now are trying to start a new revolution with salaries going the other way. Why should everyone have to be punished for the actions of a few idiots?

Ozy_Flame

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
My bad. Completely slipped my mind that Lang was signed by Washington. I retract my statement.

However, that's one player of about 7 or 8, including Draper, McCarty, Joseph, Hatcher, and Lidstrom.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
speeds said:
It's possible the NLRB might, if the NHL goes to them trying to implement their CBA, while saying "only a hard cap will do" when the Senior Vice-President/Alternate Governor of the DET Red Wings says a luxury tax might be feasible ???

Jimmy D has no authority in Detroit.He has not had authority since the late 1980's

A Good Flying Bird*

hockeytown9321 said:
When did the Red Wings sign Lang?

Whitney I will admit makes too mcuh money, but honestly, name another team that has suffered because of that deal?

WHitney.
Hatcher
Lidstrom.
Yzerman.
Shanahan.
Chelios
McCarty.
Even Draper, Holmstrom and Maltby are overpaid, as much as I like them.

I don't fault Illitch for being overly generous to his own guys, really. But facts are facts. The Wings spend too much on just about all of their players. How was Chelios worth $5.5 Million last year? How is McCarty worth a 4 year deal worth close to $9 Million.
ANd I also question recent UFA signings. Whitney was overpaid. The Wings had to know he wasn't going to put up 30 goals and 80 points with diminished icetime.
And Hatcher is another guys who is overpaid. Sure, he's a big name. And he was coming off a season where he placed in the Norris voting. But that season came after two terribly substandard seasons. And now we've got a big, slow, awkward defenseman signed for three more years and he's coming back from a big knee injury.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
transplant99 said:
Lidstrom...Yzerman as of late....Draper...Joseph....McCarty...and most of all Hatcher...mind boggling.
Lidstrom, Yzerman, McCarty (and basically Draper too) are Detroit's own players, how can you knock a big market team for keeping their own players? They aren't in the business of developing talent for the rest of league. Those guys are overpaid, but who's to say it wasn't necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->