Jim O'Brien Back to D

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The Gopher Hockey Blog ( http://gopherpuck.blogspot.com/ ) claims that the recent commitment of forward Drew Fisher to the Minnesota hockey team for next year is an indication that '07 eligible forward Jim O'Brien will move back to D. For those who have seen him, will this help or hurt his stock for the draft? Does he project better as a potential pro at defense or forward? Would kind of player could he be on the back end? More defensive or is there offensive upside for him there?

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
i havent seen him play, but i follow the gophers and from what i understand he is a great two way forward.. so wouldnt moving a two way forward back to defense make him an excellent offensive and somewhat defensive defenceman?? just a thought

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
I think it will probably be for the better; he played a reliable defensive game, but you could tell there really isn't a whole lot of offensive upside.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Why in the hell sometimes I see lists with the name of James O'Brien and other times it's Jim O'Brien ?! What's his real name ?!

Can anyone confirm please.

Thanks

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Why in the hell sometimes I see lists with the name of James O'Brien and other times it's Jim O'Brien ?! What's his real name ?!

Can anyone confirm please.

Thanks

Jim is a nickname for James that he uses.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is interesting to me. Didn't a similar situation happen with Paul Martin? O'Brien has nice defensive instincts and a projectable frame to go along with above average hockey sense. If he can back up to speed quickly, he'll be a pretty valuable asset. Another Christoph Schubert?

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
I'm not sure about Martin, but I believe Keith Ballard was a forward at one time. (before college)

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think it is good move for both sides. O'Brien to me was not a bad young power forward. He drove the net and played big. If he is uncomfortable he is better off playing where he has the most confidance.

Reminds me alot of Brent Burns. I think both Brent and O'Brien have very solid hockey instincts. But there imediate reaction time is not always the best. Or as teenagers was not the best. On the blue line both guys have the extra second to survey the ice. And Burns looked much better on the blueline. Although i still think he could have turned into a solid forward. He like O'Brien, i feel just did not have patience with their abilities. Knowing how well they knew the game.

I think it will hurt O'Brien on draft day. But he will be more of a gurante as a d man. As a powerforward things needed to come around a little bit. Putting it all together. As a d man he will play a safe physical game. Thats great. Offense is a bonus. As a forward he was big and physical and safe. Offense needed. Still powerforwrds are always more intreging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad