Management Jim Montgomery

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t understand how Montgomery coaches a team all season alternating his goalie starts and then stops doing what made the team successful when the playoffs start. I know Swayman is a star and he’s not the reason this series is going 7 games but if your recipe for success is alternating goalies, why switch at the worst time?

Just to go further, I think Ullmark is also great but all season I thought Swayman was just a bit better. He should have decided in February, and started giving Swayman 3 out of 4 starts to see how the team responded. Doing it in round 1 is a mistake imo. Again, Swayman has been fantastic but the team seems to play differently (better) when they alternate goalies.

7th best team in the league when alternating goalies. Going with one goalie didn’t work last year, and it’s not working again this year. He’s going to lose his job over it.

• Haha
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t understand how Montgomery coaches a team all season alternating his goalie starts and then stops doing what made the team successful when the playoffs start. I know Swayman is a star and he’s not the reason this series is going 7 games but if your recipe for success is alternating goalies, why switch at the worst time?

Just to go further, I think Ullmark is also great but all season I thought Swayman was just a bit better. He should have decided in February, and started giving Swayman 3 out of 4 starts to see how the team responded. Doing it in round 1 is a mistake imo. Again, Swayman has been fantastic but the team seems to play differently (better) when they alternate goalies.

7th best team in the league when alternating goalies. Going with one goalie didn’t work last year, and it’s not working again this year. He’s going to lose his job over it.

They have a 1.82 GAA and a .940 SP over 6 games. Have allowed the Leafs to score more than 2 goals one game out of six. They have the same SP as Tim Thomas did in 2011 (.940).

The current predicament has nothing to do with how he's handled his goalies.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Rotating goalies is the least of his issues THIS YEAR. Last year he rode Ullmark through G1-6, but Ullmark wasn't 100%. This year they both are healthy, but Swayman is still in TORs head even with the wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
disagree this speaks to players respecting him, for me, it`s about player execution and this team has shot itself in the foot all season long with late period goals against at ill advised times on the heels of them playing well.

While never close to this level, certainly played at high levels growing up, played my best hockey for the biggest bastard coach for 2 years, despised his ways but played hard

The teams overall pts have blinded many, this is an average team who snagged 15 loser pts this season.

getting nothing out of Coyle, Zacha, Geekie, Maroon, Pasta and others, that ain`t coaching, that`s getting outworked on the ice and the coach can`t teach hustle and grit
You can't teach respect either.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
While never close to this level, certainly played at high levels growing up, played my best hockey for the biggest bastard coach for 2 years, despised his ways but played hard

My best coach was the one who relied on me and kept putting me out there in key situations despite mistakes. Granted part of it was effort level wasn't an issue. I wasn't skilled enough to not work hard or avoid tough areas of the ice.

The coaches I was afraid of, I was just afraid of. I encountered one lunatic in particular that terrified me. I don't think he was much of a coach and he played Canadian University level.

I think today's era the problem with coaches and motivating players is A) they don't have the tools in the toolbox they once had. B) Broad strokes approaches don't really work.

So the coach has to work that much harder to figure out what motivates each individual player. One guy responds to a kick in the ass, other guys need their ego stroked, one guy needs etc. and on it goes. I think the same thing applies to most workplaces in a manager/employee relationship.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
disagree this speaks to players respecting him, for me, it`s about player execution and this team has shot itself in the foot all season long with late period goals against at ill advised times on the heels of them playing well.

The teams overall pts have blinded many, this is an average team who snagged 15 loser pts this season.

getting nothing out of Coyle, Zacha, Geekie, Maroon, Pasta and others, that ain`t coaching, that`s getting outworked on the ice and the coach can`t teach hustle and grit
I agree with you 100%. I'd like to add sucks we added a hated former hated rival player in Maroon bc I think the two capitals pukes torpedoed last season I absolutely was against those trades when they happened. That is on Sweeney though.

Other than as you said its a team that lived on goaltending and loser points. We don't have many bad contacts and I think we can retool and get a better team on paper next year.

No reason we can't win 7 game 6 was stolen by Toronto Game 5 was us not caring. They are missing their best player and Swayman is close to unbeatable. If we went down 3-1 and were coming off the wins everyone would be extremely arrogant and predicting this to be automatic. I don't think the last 2 games matter at all we already had our bad luck loss and the pathetic performance.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Monty seems like a decent guy and a very good regular season coach - let's remember before the season opened the consensus was the Bs might sneak in as a wild card ....very few people had them finishing anywhere close to 109 points

But when the switch flips to the playoffs the struggles start ....reading the team mood, the constant tinkering, a sense of fix it on the fly versus structure......teams often reflect the mood and style of their coach....which suggests Monty doesn't rise to the moment and neither does his team

If the Bs lose tomorrow it becomes an easy decision- Monty is out.

If they win it gets more complicated ...they won a series but looked horrible doing it. Which sets up more drama in the second round .

Reactions: GordonHowe

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm just thinking right now....how the f*** do you not at the very least hit the ice and practice winning some draws???
This one perplexes me. Ask Bergie to lace em up and do a FO clinic. Also just do some rapid fire passing drills. I get guys are probably banged up and tired but build some confidence back that they can actually pass puck again. Number of bad passes, fumbled/whiffed shots, and poor reception of few good passes in G5&6 has been stunning!

All of pressure is on us. Players obviously in their heads. If ever a team needed a low key let’s just skate and move puck around practice it is this team.

Hope I’m wrong.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I agree with you 100%. I'd like to add sucks we added a hated former hated rival player in Maroon bc I think the two capitals pukes torpedoed last season I absolutely was against those trades when they happened. That is on Sweeney though.
Orlov was one of the better Bruins from the trade until the end of the FLA series. His pt/game was way over what his career #s with WASH were and he played good D.
Hathaway sucked in the playoffs.
It's too bad Orlov couldn't have been resigned, he fit in well and seemed to love the active D style of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad