Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not as bad as the Buffalo Sabre UFA signing Okposo. Worst plus/minus in the league for a forward. What is it? Minus 29 or something. What did the rebuilding Sabres sign him for in 2016? $7 year 7 million per? Can't remember. Might have to do with Jim Benning once working there. Blame Jim!

Yes, great job by Benning avoiding any long-term terrible contracts like Okposo in 2016...

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
-Andrew Ladd 32 years old
-Signed in 2016 - 7 year/$5.5 million per
- 60 games - 9 goals/13 assists
- last 3 years modified/expires 2022/23 season

-Louis Eriksson 32 years old
-signed in 2016 - 6 year/$6 million per
- 50 games - 10 goals 13 sssists
- last 2 years modified/expires 2021/22

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
-Andrew Ladd 32 years old
-Signed in 2016 - 7 year/$5.5 million per
- 60 games - 9 goals/13 assists
- last 3 years modified/expires 2022/23 season

-Louis Eriksson 32 years old
-signed in 2016 - 6 year/$6 million per
- 50 games - 10 goals 13 sssists
- last 2 years modified/expires 2021/22

I don't think anyone has ever argued that Eriksson has the only terrible contract in the NHL, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also Okposo is coming off a career-threatening concussion issue that put him in hospital for an extended period at the close of last season, so there are big-time mitigating circumstances behind his poor year this year.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
I don't think anyone has ever argued that Eriksson has the only terrible contract in the NHL, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also Okposo is coming off a career-threatening concussion issue that put him in hospital for an extended period at the close of last season, so there are big-time mitigating circumstances behind his poor year this year.

Well

Spend enough time here you'd think that Benning owns the sole rights to bad signings, bad trades and bad drafting. All GMs have bad signings, bad trades, bad drafting on their resume, it's not a predictable science

Look no further to Chiarelli's work in Edmonton

-Hall trade - not good
-Eberle trade - not good
-Griffin Reinhart trade - not good
-Trading futures for Talbot to be your number 1 goalie - not good
- Lucic contract - not looking great
- Russell contract - not looking great

It's not an easy job which is why I think people need to chill on the extreme Benning hate. Hey I don't like everything he's done either but why in gawds green earth some here think he walked into an easy peasy situation is beyond me, especially when you consider the fickle bandwagon market, ownership demands, the contracts he inherited, and the dreadful empty prospect pool and black hole in the young to middle aged part of the lineup

At least ease off a little on the emotional hate and put some pedal down on objective perspective

Just my two bits

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Well

Spend enough time here you'd think that Benning owns the sole rights to bad signings, bad trades and bad drafting. All GMs have bad signings, bad trades, bad drafting on their resume, it's not a predictable science

Look no further to Chiarelli's work in Edmonton

-Hall trade - not good
-Eberle trade - not good
-Griffin Reinhart trade - not good
-Trading futures for Talbot to be your number 1 goalie - not good
- Lucic contract - not looking great
- Russell contract - not looking great

It's not an easy job which is why I think people need to chill on the extreme Benning hate. Hey I don't like everything he's done either but why in gawds green earth some here think he walked into an easy peasy situation is beyond me, especially when you consider the fickle bandwagon market, ownership demands, the contracts he inherited, and the dreadful empty prospect pool and black hole in the young to middle aged part of the lineup

At least ease off a little on the emotional hate and put some pedal down on objective perspective

Just my two bits
1) This is a Canucks thread so I really don't give 2 shits how bad other GMs are.
2) Benning is the worst GM over the last three years.
3) Nothing he does or says suggests we can expect anything but more of the same.
4)So....taking an "objective perspective" Benning has destroyed this team

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
1) This is a Canucks thread so I really don't give 2 ****s how bad other GMs are.
2) Benning is the worst GM over the last three years.
3) Nothing he does or says suggests we can expect anything but more of the same.
4)So....taking an "objective perspective" Benning has destroyed this team

I would add did anyone here ever argue Chiarelli wasn't anything but awful?

Reactions: Hit the post

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Well, you can't fault me for trying

Back to angry, emotional posting and battle lines drawn

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
I would add did anyone here ever argue Chiarelli wasn't anything but awful?

Well one can also look at it this a way - Wins a Stanley Cup not to long ago and now oddly enough is "wasn't anything but awful". He either - was never good to begin with and fluked the Stanley Cup OR GM'ing an NHL team is not as easy as it looks from the "sidelines"

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Well, you can't fault me for trying

Back to angry, emotional posting and battle lines drawn
I'm a seasons ticket holder so I feel totally justified in being pissed off.....why should we be anything but angry and emotional about this tire fire????????

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
I'm a seasons ticket holder so I feel totally justified in being pissed off.....why should we be anything but angry and emotional about this tire fire????????

Uh oh. The "I'm a season ticket holder" guy

One on every block

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Uh oh. The "I'm a season ticket holder" guy

One on every block
Which means what???????
I have an emotional and financial investment in this team.
My long term concern is that this team may not win a Stanley Cup in my lifetime.

What makes you special?????

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
lipstick on a pig.jpg

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
is there not another thread this discussion can go to? this thread is useful for summarizing and tracking team transactions. nothing on the current page contributes to those things.

100% this.

Would be nice to actually just delete everything but the OP and only keep it open for people willing to post updates until they can be copied into the OP.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
100% this.

Would be nice to actually just delete everything but the OP and only keep it open for people willing to post updates until they can be copied into the OP.

i'd also like to save the analysis i did at posts 78 and 101. in my defence, i originally started a different thread for those posts and they got moved here. i think they are objective and just a different and potentially useful way to list and analyse transactions.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
i'd also like to save the analysis i did at posts 78 and 101. in my defence, i originally started a different thread for those posts and they got moved here. i think they are objective and just a different and potentially useful way to list and analyse transactions.

I work in the finance industry so ya, I'd vote to keep a balance sheet of transactions for sure. Interesting approach.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

This team has literally been the worst team in hockey over the past three years. Anything other than a scathing critique of this management is at best overly optimistic, and at worst, delusional.

I find it amusing that you think your perspective is objective, and not overly optimistic, given the results this management team has achieved.

Reactions: But Gillis

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wherever you are on the roster moves, the Canucks at the end of the day are a business.....and that 'business' has probably the worst payroll relative to performance in the entire league....I mean you don't have to spend to the salary cap max every year to finish in 30th place....you can accomplish that with a lineup of waiver-wire pickups; AHL-NHL 'tweeners; and 'B' level prospects.

And outside of maybe five guys, the rest of this Canuck lineup ranges from 'marginally overpaid to 'obscenely' overpaid. I'm just an average hockey fan, but I do know something about business.....if you own a business with one of the highest payrolls in your industry, but you're getting creamed by your competition night after night, then it isn't long before owner comes looking for heads to mount on a stake.

The trouble with the Canucks is a lack of accountability. It starts on the ice; moves into the hockey ops department and then through to the owner. Until the fans start staying away like they are in Buffalo these days, not much will change. Kind of ironic that the Canucks and their expansion cousins the Sabres are in the same slimy quicksand. Except fans in Buffalo have seen enough. Their rink is half empty and you can't give seats away.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Playing Anaheim tonight serving up some transaction memory lane

Anaheim drafts Sideroff with the 3rd we trade them in the Kesler trade

We trade the 3rd Anaheim gave us in the Kesler trade to the Rangers for Dorsett. The Rangers select Iverson with that pick

Who won this little 3-way quagmire?

I'm going with Jimbro Benning

Reactions: timbermen

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Playing Anaheim tonight serving up some transaction memory lane

Anaheim drafts Sideroff with the 3rd we trade them in the Kesler trade

We trade the 3rd Anaheim gave us in the Kesler trade to the Rangers for Dorsett. The Rangers select Iverson with that pick

Who won this little 3-way quagmire?

I'm going with Jimbro Benning
Are you serious or just trolling?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad