Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know I'll get flamed for saying it, but Jimbo has done some his best work on the trade front the last couple of seasons.....basically acquired Goldobin, Dahlen, Leipsic, Motte and Pouliot for the equivalent of 'beads and trinkets'.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I know I'll get flamed for saying it, but Jimbo has done some his best work on the trade front the last couple of seasons.....basically acquired Goldobin, Dahlen, Leipsic, Motte and Pouliot for the equivalent of 'beads and trinkets'.
Let's hope these players become more than 'beads and trinkets' themselves then.

Also, is a player who scores 41 points in 61 games a bead or a trinket?

Reactions: SgtToody

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's hope these players become more than 'beads and trinkets' themselves then.

Also, is a player who scores 41 points in 61 games a bead or a trinket?
Well, looking at what the Canucks gave up in those deals; Burrows, who's basically at the end of the road; Hansen who totally flopped in SJ and may have played his way out of the league; Holm, who could be headed back to Sweden next season; and Pedan along with fourth rounder for Pouliot. The only guy of any value was Vanek, who was on a one year deal and never figured to last with the Canucks past the deadline anyway.

I suppose there's a chance that Goldobin, Dahlen, Leipsic, Pouliot and Motte could end up as 'trinkets and beads', but I'm betting not all of them.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well, looking at what the Canucks gave up in those deals; Burrows, who's basically at the end of the road; Hansen who totally flopped in SJ and may have played his way out of the league; Holm, who could be headed back to Sweden next season; and Pedan along with fourth rounder for Pouliot. The only guy of any value was Vanek, who was on a one year deal and never figured to last with the Canucks past the deadline anyway.

I suppose there's a chance that Goldobin, Dahlen, Leipsic, Pouliot and Motte could end up as 'trinkets and beads', but I'm betting not all of them.

Dahlen is the only one on that list who has top 6 potential. Leipsic might be a decent bottom 6 forward, though on a contending team he was deemed expendable. I don't expect much from the others. Motte and Pouliot are not NHL players, and time is running out very fast on Goldobin.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Dahlen is the only one on that list who has top 6 potential. Leipsic might be a decent bottom 6 forward, though on a contending team he was deemed expendable. I don't expect much from the others. Motte and Pouliot are not NHL players, and time is running out very fast on Goldobin.

Oh Goldobin most certainly has top 6 potential. If he can reach that potential is the question.

Reactions: pomorick

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
As per usual... I'll need help with AHL or other minor players leaving us.... people who we let walk or leave for Europe.

I don't always catch those guys. Incoming signings and trades you hear all about.. the minor leavings - not so much.

First signings of the 2018-2019 signing : Pettersson, Palmu.
First 2 exits of the 2018-2019 : Sedins.

Also added Jokinen since it was released he wouldn't be offered a deal.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Some here will be as happy to see as I was :

Capfriendly has rolled their salary charts over to the 20-18-2019 season!

It's the small things sometimes eh... (that's what she said)

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
But Leipsic, Motte, and Pouliot are beads and trinkets.

Reactions: pomorick

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Call it a hunch, but despite rumors the Canucks will be 'standing pat' this offseason, I have a feeling Jimbo could be swinging for the fences. With $20m in cap space and coming off three seasons in lower lottery-land, pressure is mounting to get this team back in the playoff conversation.

Just have a hard time believing the Canucks will basically bring the same team back that finished off last season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Call it a hunch, but despite rumors the Canucks will be 'standing pat' this offseason, I have a feeling Jimbo could be swinging for the fences. With $20m in cap space and coming off three seasons in lower lottery-land, pressure is mounting to get this team back in the playoff conversation.

Just have a hard time believing the Canucks will basically bring the same team back that finished off last season.
I believe they'll be more active than most believe as well.
I don't see swinging for the fences tho.... but that depends on dominoes.

i.e. If he manages to pull off an unexpected Edler trade... that could lead to crazier other things.. Like a Tanev trade... or a Carlson acquisition. heh..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
-2018-19-----------
Pettersson -- 3 yr, $925K (ELC)
Palmu -- 3 yr, $826K (ELC)
DiPietro -- 3 yr, $???K (ELC)

Locking up the prospects
Actually when you look at the Canucks contract situation of Cap-Friendly, there's a number of ELC's and RFA unlikely to the qualified and will be coming off the books. Great to see those contracts replaced with some ELC's for some decent prospects for a change.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Les Habs with 10 picks this draft? By what witchcraft did they accomplish this -- are we sure there isn't a rule against having that many? Benning must be told!...

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Les Habs with 10 picks this draft? By what witchcraft did they accomplish this -- are we sure there isn't a rule against having that many? Benning must be told!...
Those Frenchies may have 4 more picks than us but they didnt get Jokinen for a month. So say chowder

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Small update to this thread: VAN acquired an extra 6th in 2019 from WAS for trading down from 161 to 186 in the 2018 draft.

For completion's sake: Washington took Vancouver Giants' D Alex Kannok-Leipert (161) and the Canucks took Russian RW Artyom Manukyan (186)

Last edited:
Reactions: Literally

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Small update to this thread: VAN acquired an extra 6th in 2019 from WAS for trading down from 161 to 186 in the 2018 draft.

For completion's sake: Washington took Vancouver Giants' D Alex Kannok-Leipert (161) and the Canucks took Russian RW Artyom Manukyan (186)
Should have taken a flyer on Nando Eggenberger in the 7th round, rather than a pint-sized Russian who's chances of ever coming to NA are near zero. If Eggenberger lights it up at the Prospects Tournament next week the Canucks scouts will have 'egg on their faces' so to speak.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just spitballin'...but supposing Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi, Gaudette and Demko knock it out of the park in training camp and you have to keep them. Can Jimbo make any kind of deals to break up the logjam? Can he get anything for guys like Nilsson, Gagner, Del Zotto, Eriksson, Hutton or Goldobin? Or are they just dead contract weights?

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

Benning don't need no extra picks. Got us a top 2 prospect pool with less than a full compliment of picks.

This was accomplished while the average draft position was 9 in the five years... in before "we had the worst record in the last three years so the prospect pool better be among the best." :)

All those picks won't save Bergevin's hide anymore than Benning's, had he loaded up on a few extra Jet Woos and Tyler Maddens in the last couple years. Now early first rounders, which nobody trades away (save Ottawa)...

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Benning don't need no extra picks. Got us a top 2 prospect pool with less than a full compliment of picks.

This was accomplished while the average draft position was 9 in the five years... in before "we had the worst record in the last three years so the prospect pool better be among the best." :)

It certainly helps if only a couple of your prospects actually graduate. There are 7 teams in the league which havent gotten a single NHL game out of their 2016+2017 draftees yet. The Canucks are one of them. Vegas another. The other 5 are ANA, DET, PIT, TB, WSH. To put things into perspective: The Canucks had twice has many top 10 picks as the other 5 teams combined over 2 drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->