Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This.

Paying to get rid of a player like Kassian was so incredibly stupid it's hard to put into words. Only an idiot like Jim Benning would sign off on that.

To be fair, he really thought he was getting value in Prust...that was the indefensible part. That is, it was more about getting Prust than about getting rid of Kassian. Subtle but important difference mainly because Benning is touted for his player evaluation. Kassian alone for Prust would have been a terrible deal.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
To be fair, he really thought he was getting value in Prust...that was the indefensible part. That is, it was more about getting Prust than about getting rid of Kassian. Subtle but important difference mainly because Benning is touted for his player evaluation. Kassian alone for Prust would have been a terrible deal.

I'm sure he did. And the fact that he thought that is alarming.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This.

Paying to get rid of a player like Kassian was so incredibly stupid it's hard to put into words. Only an idiot like Jim Benning would sign off on that.

Think about how many idiots there are in Canucks management to have signed off on such an incredibly ignorant and stupid decision...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Rick Dhaliwal at 1130 Sports, the Canucks are in contract discussions with Drew Short....really?....is there more to this guy's game than we saw down the stretch?....fourth line centre but doesn't appear to anything really well....might be an indication they're expecting to lose Gaunce in the expansion draft.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Watching Kesler in the playoffs, it blows my mind to see what we have left over from trading him. He should have returned atleast what schnieder did IMO, and more. ****

jester00

Jun 9, 2011
Western Canada
According to Rick Dhaliwal at 1130 Sports, the Canucks are in contract discussions with Drew Short....really?....is there more to this guy's game than we saw down the stretch?....fourth line centre but doesn't appear to anything really well....might be an indication they're expecting to lose Gaunce in the expansion draft.

Or maybe they are going to trade Sutter :naughty:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He didn't look dreadful and would be good system depth in Utica. Incredibly boring player but filled space well enough.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We need a poll on which player Vegas plucks from the Canucks roster....praying it's a guy like Dorsett or Sbisa; but fear it'll probably be Gaunce or Biega....anyone else likely to be available to the Knights?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
We need a poll on which player Vegas plucks from the Canucks roster....praying it's a guy like Dorsett or Sbisa; but fear it'll probably be Gaunce or Biega....anyone else likely to be available to the Knights?

Bachman and Megna

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I was thinking I'd start an Expansion Draft thread closer to the day-of, and that I could add a poll to that...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I was thinking I'd start an Expansion Draft thread closer to the day-of, and that I could add a poll to that...

Maybe a poll on who you "want" Vegas to pick....but suspect the pizza man would be a runaway winner in any case.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

I don't think the word fear should be associated with losing Gaunce or Biega...

I would give Vegas a draft pick to take Biega over Sbisa.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Really?....I'd give them a draft pick if they were willing to take Sbisa's contract off the books...Biega is a cheaper option, who'd also likely clear waivers if they send him to Utica.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Really?....I'd give them a draft pick if they were willing to take Sbisa's contract off the books...Biega is a cheaper option, who'd also likely clear waivers if they send him to Utica.

Sbisa is no longer an issue imo. It's his final year, we're a terrible team, he either plays poorly and helps the tank or is magically transformed into a good player and is *fingers crossed* moved at the deadline. To give up a pick in order to lose him would be total nonsense.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have a point....and Jimbo would likely just turn around and give Sbisa's money to Gudbranson anyway....so it would be a 'double-whammy'.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
dl44 legit thinks sbisa is an acceptable defenceman and a positive value asset and has thought that for the entire time we've had him, even when he had a full four year disaster contract while providing sub-AHL defence

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I'd give them a pick to make Sbisa's contract go away so we could go shopping for someone younger that might turn into something, they probably won't but then neither will Sbisa.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
dl44 legit thinks sbisa is an acceptable defenceman
He's a legit NHL acceptable NHL defenseman....a legit #6 left side defensive D that sure as **** ain't worth protecting at his current contract...let alone offer a team a draft pick so they select somebody else.

Didn't Jethro Bodine already do that with Kassian?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
He's a legit NHL acceptable NHL defenseman....a legit #6 left side defensive D that sure as **** ain't worth protecting at his current contract...let alone offer a team a draft pick so they select somebody else.

Didn't Jethro Bodine already do that with Kassian?

Miss Hathaway will be unhappy with you for insulting Jethro in that fashion.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So as I understand it, the deal was in place for Demers to come to the Canucks with Panthers favorite Gudbranson going the other way, plus un-named assets....but Demers used his NTC to kibosh the deal......probably just as well....that Demers contract would have been a tough one for the Canucks to swallow....but he'd have been improvement over Del Zotto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad