GDT: Jets vs Wild (Jan-13th, 6PM) All Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's not Wheeler that's a defensive liability. It's Connor and Laine. Can only expect Wheeler to carry them so much when he literally has to do everything on the ice when playing with these two.

I don't mind this at all. I wish Lowry was healthy though.

Wheeler has caused more than his share of problems defensively on that line. I'm not absolving the kids for their shortcommings but blaming them for the whole line is the easy way out and not indicative of Blake's very poor play in his own end as a C (Not surprising as its not his actual position)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Little is playing much better over the past 10 games or so. I'd give ELL another look now that he and Ehlers are really going now.

Maybe after we get at least 1 of our wounded C's back. But if it doesn't work really well right away give it up.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's not Wheeler that's a defensive liability. It's Connor and Laine. Can only expect Wheeler to carry them so much when he literally has to do everything on the ice when playing with these two.

We will have to agree to disagree. I see wheeler turning over the puck and not quite getting the puck out and making terrible passes out of our own zone. He may not be the only problem, but he is certainly not carrying that line defensively in my view.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why not just slot Little in with Wheeler and let Perreault play centre and have Lemieux or whoever in Perreault's spot

Because Perreault is not a C. The fact that he used to be is irrelevant. He is not a C now. He is a C like Buff is a RW. OTOH Copp could play up and Roslo is a C.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Wheeler has caused more than his share of problems defensively on that line. I'm not absolving the kids for their shortcommings but blaming them for the whole line is the easy way out and not indicative of Blake's very poor play in his own end as a C (Not surprising as its not his actual position)
You don't let any of the three off the hook, but in my opinion, people should be more understanding of Wheeler due to him playing the wrong position.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
The top line has been garbage in their own end; heck, it has gone to the point at which its players have been benched and their matchups being eased as much as possible. That is unacceptable and needs to be changed immediately. I don't care if they score - people certainly didn't care when CSW was scoring more and was better in their own end, all due to ELL not clicking.

I still do not get it how things are different. All the arguments that once applied are suddenly useless; we no longer need to "win better" by optimising the lines, nor is it problematic to have a first line that is consistently murdered possession wise. Maurice was a clown for not fixing one flawed top line in ELL, yet it is somehow a good move from him to ice a line that is arguably even worse in CWL. Double standards at their finest, I'd say.

Not many were calling Maurice a clown when CSW was still scoring, but many were discussing how to get that second line going too. But when CSW got into a slump and ELL was the same old, it sure was dumb not to try to fix it.
Now we've had pretty much every line scoring and I think CWL has mostly outscored their opponents too (haven't seen the metrics though), so the situarion is very different. Biggest problem right now might be that how to make it better.

But enough with OT. Planning to stay awake for this one. Hopefully the game is OT free ;)

And... GJG!

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It’s the last game before players bye week. Not so for management and coaches. I would like them to see what they have with Roslovic at centre now than later. And make some sort of decision to pick up some key pieces.

Unless everyone is content with just making the playoffs, I think the Jets needs to add a solid faceoff centre. The key to their PP and PK is winning the faceoffs and having possession right away.

You are aware that the Jets have been at, or near the top of the league in FO's all year, right?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know the team and Perreault don't like him at centre, but without Scheifele and Lowry on the road it may be a good idea. Rather then have Roslo or Copp centre a 2nd line, put Perreault there just for tonight, and move Little with Wheeler. I know it won't happen, just don't like Wheels at centre on the road while missing our #1 and 3 centres

Its not only that he didn't like playing C. He wasn't any good there either.

Pretty sure that Copp can be 'good enough' on a top 6 line and that Roslo can also be 'good enough' with good wingers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Remember that whole leave Wheeler at Centre when Scheif gets back thing?

Yeah.....didn't think so.

I remember. I thought it should be considered. Not necessarily done, but considered. Well .... I've considered it. Nope. :laugh:

Kudos to Wheeler for trying but I think it is clear enough now that it should end.

Reactions: Ducky10

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
They either need to change up Wheeler's W's or put him back to the W. It's just not working 5v5. Hopefully Lowry is healthy after the break. Could keep Copp as a C and roll Little Lowry Copp for now and see how it goes. I doubt they'll try Roslovic at C this unless they're desperate, maybe a mid game move if he's playing great and someone is struggling.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I know everyone hates +/- stats, but I just noticed every Jet is in the positive or zero except for Matthias, Dano, and Roslovic. Nice stat to see to remind us that the team is a lot better this year. :nod:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Take Wheeler off centre.

Connor Little Wheeler
Ehlers Roslovic Laine

That's asking a lot of Roslovic for his first time playing center in the NHL.
Removing MP and Scheif from the mix makes that a very young group.
We have combinations that can have Wheeler and Little play together but I'm not sure above is one of the them (yet).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am sensing this one is going to be a clean win for the Wild.

We are banged up
We are on a B2B
Our goalie the second game of a B2B
I just don't see us sweeping them
Wild need the win more than we do

5-2 Wild

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Ohhh Ohhh big game tonight, totally pumped. I got my supplies ready for the Minny Wild game!
s-l300.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Alright, fair enough :) You know who I thought was an underrated announcer from the AWA days? This guy:

zWjfN0C.jpg

"The Winnipeg Jets didn't get their title opportunity tonight by clipping coupons!"

or in his perhaps better known vocal stylings:

"Tanev, Copp and Lowry are more than good; they're GRRRRRREAT!"

He certainly had the voice for it.

I like that we are seeing Lemieux tonight.
Nice bonus.

Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like that I'm actually enthusiastic about our bottom 6 even with 3 injuries there...

Reactions: DRC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->