GDT: Jets vs Wild (Jan-13th, 6PM) All Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I was waiting for this one. The reason is, one of our top two lines is not working, as proven by shot metrics. The other one is playing very well, though.

Previously, some saw this as a major problem that needed to be fixed at all costs. I wonder why you are questioning this notion of doing the same now. I can think of one variable that has changed from the days of ELL, but everyone has probably figured that one out by now.

I was legitimately asking, no need to get snarky. Which line is in trouble?

I haven't seen shot metrics data since the swap, but the team has scored 27 goals in 7 games since Scheif went down so at least in that department we are humming.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Nice... but I'm pretty sure Mr Solie never worked the AWA territory... I'm a stickler for rules ;)

Alright, fair enough :) You know who I thought was an underrated announcer from the AWA days? This guy:

zWjfN0C.jpg

"The Winnipeg Jets didn't get their title opportunity tonight by clipping coupons!"

or in his perhaps better known vocal stylings:

"Tanev, Copp and Lowry are more than good; they're GRRRRRREAT!"

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
5353358.jpg

'Tis now the second hockey game in two nights,
When goalies yawn, and hell itself breathes out
Contagion to this game: now could the Jets maintain that hot third,
From Chicago and wreak such bitter business upon Dubnyk
Would quake to look on. Soft! now to our tender. —
O Helle, lose not thy nature; let not ever
The soul of Pavs enter this firm bosom:
And Jets forwards - pray return to preternatural breakouts;
Or Mo will speak daggers to thee, but use none;
May Lurch and Tanev in this fight be not recused, —
Forming a pillar of strength at centre – the full send,
To give the Wild never, a win, consent!

Dear lord, we have some of the most talented people on this forum. A tear to my eye!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I was legitimately asking, no need to get snarky. Which line is in trouble?

I haven't seen shot metrics data since the swap, but the team has scored 27 goals in 7 games since Scheif went down so at least in that department we are humming.
You know well enough. CWL is awful defensively, and they have consistently been buried (even against weaker matchups) possession wise.

Is this a similar situation to when CSW was scoring at will, but the second line was so bad that the line needed to be broken up to fix the first line due to its "troubles"? Or is this somehow different? Based on everything that has been commented so far this year, people should be screaming for CWL to be broken up by now.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
:laugh: Haven't watched rasslin since I was 9 YO. Little Beaver was one of my favourites. Don't worry that you've never heard of him. Wayyyy before your time. Also before PC. :laugh: If you knew who he was you'ld get that.

Still, even I can recognize the greatness of your work! Too many good things to highlight them all but I particularly like Andre the Giant as Buff. :laugh:

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
You know well enough. CWL is awful defensively, and they have consistently been buried (even against weaker matchups) possession wise.

Is this a similar situation to when CSW was scoring at will, but the second line was so bad that the line needed to be broken up to fix the first line due to its "troubles"? Or is this somehow different? Based on everything that has been commented so far this year, people should be screaming for CWL to be broken up by now.

CWL consists of 2 youngsters with Wheeler playing C. You may disagree but I think they are doing fine considering that. Yes, they are getting defensive lapses, but they are also producing almost every game.

CSW had 4 goals in their last month after their hot start (and pretty crazy TOI). They weren't exactly stellar in the Corsi department either. So if the option is to have a weak Corsi line that scores, or a weak Corsi line that doesn't score, I know which one I prefer.

This is indeed different, every line is scoring and the team is looking very strong IMO. There is no second line that is as dead as dead can be, so the situation is absolutely different.

Also, I think Maurice is playing these lines very well. If the kids are in over their heads (like in the Sharks game), he knows when to shorten the bench and make adjustments.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agreed, the guy isn't a center. We lose a lot by taking him out of his best position. I would also like to see Roslovic given a shot at C
Someone said above, I’d like to see what we have in roslovic now rather than later. Maybe not this game, but what the heck!

Nice that we have so many options to discuss these days.

Reactions: jets2020champs

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Remember that whole leave Wheeler at Centre when Scheif gets back thing?

Yeah.....didn't think so.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think the two day break between the Sabres and Hawks game left the Jets a little flat for the first two in Chicago, but I think it might help them tonight with their legs.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
CWL consists of 2 youngsters with Wheeler playing C. You may disagree but I think they are doing fine considering that. Yes, they are getting defensive lapses, but they are also producing almost every game.

CSW had 4 goals in their last month after their hot start (and pretty crazy TOI). They weren't exactly stellar in the Corsi department either. So if the option is to have a weak Corsi line that scores, or a weak Corsi line that doesn't score, I know which one I prefer.

This is indeed different, every line is scoring and the team is looking very strong IMO. There is no second line that is as dead as dead can be, so the situation is absolutely different.

Also, I think Maurice is playing these lines very well. If the kids are in over their heads (like in the Sharks game), he knows when to shorten the bench and make adjustments.
The top line has been garbage in their own end; heck, it has gone to the point at which its players have been benched and their matchups being eased as much as possible. That is unacceptable and needs to be changed immediately. I don't care if they score - people certainly didn't care when CSW was scoring more and was better in their own end, all due to ELL not clicking.

I still do not get it how things are different. All the arguments that once applied are suddenly useless; we no longer need to "win better" by optimising the lines, nor is it problematic to have a first line that is consistently murdered possession wise. Maurice was a clown for not fixing one flawed top line in ELL, yet it is somehow a good move from him to ice a line that is arguably even worse in CWL. Double standards at their finest, I'd say.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
The top line has been garbage in their own end; heck, it has gone to the point at which its players have been benched and their matchups being eased as much as possible. That is unacceptable and needs to be changed immediately. I don't care if they score - people certainly didn't care when CSW was scoring more and was better in their own end, all due to ELL not clicking.

I still do not get it how things are different. All the arguments that once applied are suddenly useless; we no longer need to "win better" by optimising the lines, nor is it problematic to have a first line that is consistently murdered possession wise. Maurice was a clown for not fixing one flawed top line in ELL, yet it is somehow a good move from him to ice a line that is arguably even worse in CWL. Double standards at their finest, I'd say.

Conversely, shouldn't "we are winning" just end all conversation about lines anyway? I wouldn't go too far into the double standards territory...

Again, I haven't seen shot metrics data but at least in my opinion they are not "getting murdered", apart from one or two away games at least. Maybe it's my bias, I'm not sure.

"I don't care if they score". Well I do, and they are. All the lines are clicking as best they can with our injuries IMO and these last 7 games have been strong showings in my opinion, much stronger than the 7 game losing streak (or something close to that) we had before the line changes. The Avalanche OT loss and yesterday's loss are acceptable considering how the games went, and our wins have been the results of strong play, not Hellebuyck standing on his head.

Again, 27 goals in 7 games. How about we don't touch that for now. Besides, they just pulled CWL out of thin air so maybe we allow them a few games to gel.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
So, Roslovic with Cop and Army Joe ? Tough decision for Mo because he really loves to have that shutdown line. Lemieux isn't ready for those minutes and Hendricks is simply too old. Decisions
decisions decisions...

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don’t know. I’m starting to feel that wheeler is the defensive liability.

In the past 6 games Wheeler is by far the worst Jets forward in shot metrics... relCF% = -12.1. The only Jets' forwards with CF% below 50.0 are Wheeler, Laine, Connor and Matthias.

Time to move Wheeler back to RW and Matthias to the PB.

It's not Wheeler that's a defensive liability. It's Connor and Laine. Can only expect Wheeler to carry them so much when he literally has to do everything on the ice when playing with these two.

It is apprently

Dano- Copp- Armia
Lemieux- Hendricks- Roslo

I am fine with that, Matthias has not been good since his first couple games back in. Bring in some fresh legs and that energy Lemieux brings

I don't mind this at all. I wish Lowry was healthy though.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So, Roslovic with Cop and Army Joe ?
Actually, an interesting question. Since the role of whoever replaces Matthias is to play on the shutdown line, none of the three candidates are particularly good options. Roslovic is likely the easiest for him to promote, for he has been quite good in the few games he has gotten so far, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Connor coming off the first line and Roslovic replacing KC there. Lemieux probably plays on the fourth line regardless of what happens.

Also, Dano has played very well and would arguably be even more deserving of a promotion.

E: Dano-Copp-Armia as per Wiebe.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Last night we really could have used Tanev and Lowry. That high energy from Tanev, the physical cycling from Lowry and the hard forecheck from both not only wear the other team's D down, but might have helped us get a little more energy earlier in the game.

Valuable players, indeed. I haven't minded Dano but I am still waiting to see what he is going to bring to this team, especially during the playoffs, in terms of value-add? He's skilled no doubt, and could provide secondary scoring, but we are not lacking in that right now.

Big rebound game tonight! Go Jets Go!

Reactions: JetsFan815

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Good for Dano. Hopefully he can keep up with those guys. Surely he can in the offensive end, but DZ will be struggle for him as always. Well, he can't be worse than Matthias, that's for sure.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In the past 6 games Wheeler is by far the worst Jets forward in shot metrics... relCF% = -12.1. The only Jets' forwards with CF% below 50.0 are Wheeler, Laine, Connor and Matthias.

Time to move Wheeler back to RW and Matthias to the PB.

Wheeler at C wasn't too bad at home. On the road it doesn't work. That's all, just plain doesn't work.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It's not Wheeler that's a defensive liability. It's Connor and Laine. Can only expect Wheeler to carry them so much when he literally has to do everything on the ice when playing with these two.

I don't mind this at all. I wish Lowry was healthy though.
I don't even think they are bad defensively, but when you start from every faceoff without the puck it sure puts you at a disadvantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad