Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Panthers - Helsinki (Nov 1 & 2) Hartwall Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Really? I thought Laine was known even by non hockey fans. Or are you talking about skill? I meant celebrity status in Finland.

Barkov is easily the best Finnish player in the NHL imo.

Okay, I got you wrong. For the celebrity status, that might be, but the recency bias is also huge. Basically Lauri Markkanen (NBA basketball rookie) has "stolen" that #1 spot for this season. Also Eeli Tolvanen was HUGE at early season.

Barkov is not forgotten, but he tends to go a bit under the the radar both in NA and in Finland.

Every Finnish guy having huge nights (counted by points) on NHL gets his fame, and this season Laine has been way too consistent with his "1+0" kind of nights and that doesn't make great highlights. Esa Lindell having 1+2 is easilly bigger news.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Really happy the Jets are playing in Finland next year. It's so cool to have this connection with all these fans all the way in Finland, and to have it rekindled from the early 90s with Teemu.

I remember being at a Jets versus Kings game in 93. The game was broadcast in Finland, which was rare back then. It featured Selanne and Numminen on the Jets, and Kurri on the Kings. They played the Finnish national anthem (along with the US and Canada) and the whole crowd held up Finnish flags, which had a picture of Teemu and Teppo on the back.

Anyone else remember that game?

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
They will only charge for 44 games instead of 45. Total bill probably rises slightly if they use 3% increases
Hate to break it to everyone but the season ticket increase for anyone renewing from now forward is 5%.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
A whole lot of negativity in this thread. We get to watch our best players to play here mostly when they're undrafted teenagers, I'm excited for this.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Really happy the Jets are playing in Finland next year. It's so cool to have this connection with all these fans all the way in Finland, and to have it rekindled from the early 90s with Teemu.

I remember being at a Jets versus Kings game in 93. The game was broadcast in Finland, which was rare back then. It featured Selanne and Numminen on the Jets, and Kurri on the Kings. They played the Finnish national anthem (along with the US and Canada) and the whole crowd held up Finnish flags, which had a picture of Teemu and Teppo on the back.

Anyone else remember that game?

Found a video of the game:

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
A whole lot of negativity in this thread. We get to watch our best players to play here mostly when they're undrafted teenagers, I'm excited for this.

Yes, some Leafs fans were even jealous because they don't get to go to Europe. Although after a short discussion they came to the conclusion, that it must be because Leafs are already so popular in every country :silly:

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
anyone wonder if the season ticket prices will drop next year due to this one game being eliminated?
*snicker*

Likely the same as the Heritage Classic year. There was essentially no difference as the 3% increase offset the extra game. Then the next year seemed like a bigger jump.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Does anyone know whether they will play at KHL size rink there is currently in Hartwall Arena or will they make it more narrow and longer just for these two games?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Does anyone know whether they will play at KHL size rink there is currently in Hartwall Arena or will they make it more narrow and longer just for these two games?

That's actually a really interesting question. I could see them leaving it as is, given that both teams will be "disadvantaged", and neither gains any real benefit to playing on a larger surface.

Edit: they created an NHL size rink surface for the Sens / Avalanche game, so it's likely they do the same for the Jets / Panthers:

For this Avs visit, they had to install a completely new ice surface to match NHL rink dimensions - one that is smaller than the ice surface that is normally housed in the building.

Link: Ericsson Globe: Home away from home for the Colorado Avalanche

Reactions: Halberdier

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I'm certain it will be NHL sized

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
If bye weeks still exists next year it would be wise to give the Jets/Panthers their bye weeks right after the Finlad games. Would give them time to reset properly for the next game.

The bye weeks are all held at the same time in the second half of the schedule. They all occur over a 2 week period. This year they were in January.Both Ottawa and Colorado had bye weeks this season.

The Jets did have a "practice break" as did most teams in october. (Oct 21-25) These are not bye weeks per se as the teams were allowed to practice on those days.

One could assume the Jets will have nice breaks both before and after these games.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I will personally finance the hockey professor to get to this game. He deserves it, man.
We would get increasingly drunk updates until the sometime in the third when O'Conner swaps onto the 1st line for the highlife and Laine gets bumped to the 2nd.

HeadExplodeBig.gif

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
If you want to combine a trip to Russia (St. Petersburg) I would recommend first checking the option to get a Russian visa and going by Allegro train (80-120€ round trip typically, depending on scheduling etc). Train is generally better than airplane as the border control happens on the train, it goes center-center and takes about 3.5 hours. There's a restaurant car on the train.

Alternatively you could take the ship Princess Anastasia and go without a visa (Visa free rule - Peterline). There's nothing horribly wrong with this option but the ship is a little old and you may end up standing in the line a lot (waiting for tickets, border control, etc.) I've done that once and didn't feel it was worth the time spent on the boat.

Few things about St Pete's: don't forget that Neva bridges open during the night. You don't want to be stuck on a different side from your hotel (it's not as bad as it used to be, but an Uber trip can still take a long detour). At the moment there are multiple competing taxi applications, you may want to have all of them ready on your phone (the time for negotiating prices with a driver is pretty much over).

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Must say I was pretty disappointed to find out it was Florida. I was planning on flying to Florida next year to watch the Jets play the Panthers and the Lightning for my first Jet's games.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Went out with a friend on Saturday and talked about this. We agreed that ASAP when the tickets become available, he will buy 4 or 5. I'll pay him for one of those and be the designated driver for the trip.

After that we drank a couple of beers more, though, so I think I have to check if he remembers the agreement.

Oh, and Florida is ok as an opponent, but I would have rather wanted Carolina. Because of the Finnish two-headed monster known as Turbocharged Seabass.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
They will only charge for 44 games instead of 45. Total bill probably rises slightly if they use 3% increases

I suspect I'm missing something obvious but with two games in Finland, both regular season games wouldn't the count they can charge for be 43 games?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I suspect I'm missing something obvious but with two games in Finland, both regular season games wouldn't the count they can charge for be 43 games?

One game is a Florida home game

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I’m SO booking front row tickets to these games. Question: Anyone knows when to expect the tickets to go on sale, and is there anything you can do to increase your odds of getting said tickets? I tried to add a notification to Ticketmaster when they go on sale but it didn’t allow to enter the keywords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad