Speculation: Jets vs Leafs: why were there 2 different results?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder what the Sabres excuse is for being worse than us given they have above average goaltending.

There D core is having a TERRIBLE season.

Ristolainen is a top paring player but not a number 1 yet that is an amazing PP asset but a bit of a work in progress after that and he is the high water mark. I think McCabe has been playing at top 4 level but after that things get dicey. Franson is a solid bottom pairing D man. I am not sure why but both Bogosian and Kulikov have fallen off a cliff and are not even solid bottom paring guys this season.

Really its a mess.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
What do you mean what the he'll am I on about? Have I not been clear and concise? Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm way out to lunch with this.

Babcock still had an NHL roster last season with some very respectable players. He finished last in the league. You'd think the "best coach in the game" would have done better if coaching is so paramount to success regardless of roster.

It's hilarious people are pointing to Babcocks roster as the reason for the lack of success last year yet don't think the same of the Jets. Andrew Ladd was bad last year after his surgery. Lowry **** the bed. So on and so forth.... and then the Jets went full tank as well.

Yes the Jets got quite a bit healthier around Xmas this year but it was pretty apparent that guys like MP, Armia, Matthias were not up to game speed when they came back or still battling injuries.

Now despite loosing a boat load of D men they have managed to go 11-6-3. Their PP has improved immensely since mid December and their overall game and I believe Corsi stats have also all climbed since mid season or so....

Anyways. Coaching is probably certainly a factor between the two teams to some degree. The Leafs however have 1 more win than the Jets this year.... Think about that, 1 Win....

1 win and a less talented team imo. They play the type of game the Jets should be playing. 11-6-1 when you have nothing to play for doesn't impress me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
1 win and a less talented team imo. They play the type of game the Jets should be playing. 11-6-1 when you have nothing to play for doesn't impress me.

They most certainly don't emphasis chip and chase hockey over there. It's the biggest ES difference I see. They attack with speed and look to carry it in all the time. Honestly Maurice needs to study what Babcock did this season and get our team to do similarly. As mentioned we are a more talented teams that should be able to blitz other teams with are skill to a greater degree than the Leafs.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Kinda tough to have meaningful debate about this subject when you can just arbitrarily block out a 20 game sample size. That's a quarter of the season. Does meaningless hockey happen when the Jets are mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs or just whenever you feel like they become meaningless so it helps you push your points?

If I can just take 20 games and throw them out the window I could paint the jets with a much nicer brush.....

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
They most certainly don't emphasis chip and chase hockey over there. It's the biggest ES difference I see. They attack with speed and look to carry it in all the time. Honestly Maurice needs to study what Babcock did this season and get our team to do similarly. As mentioned we are a more talented teams that should be able to blitz other teams with are skill to a greater degree than the Leafs.

Does anyone happen to have zone entry and exit data? I'd be really interested to see it.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Kinda tough to have meaningful debate about this subject when you can just arbitrarily block out a 20 game sample size. That's a quarter of the season. Does meaningless hockey happen when the Jets are mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs or just whenever you feel like they become meaningless so it helps you push your points?

If I can just take 20 games and throw them out the window I could paint the jets with a much nicer brush.....

How is it arbitrary? It's a specific block, one that I find meaningful. The Jets have played better in that stretch, when it was too late for it to mean anything. As far as pushing my point, I have far more than that sample to support it. The team has underperformed and has been poorly coached this season, a 20 game stretch in garbage time does little to change that.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Yep, one of my constant disappointments with them this year was how often they unnecessarily gave away possession, both in the defensive zone and before the opponents blue line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How is it arbitrary? It's a specific block, one that I find meaningful. The Jets have played better in that stretch, when it was too late for it to mean anything. As far as pushing my point, I have far more than that sample to support it. The team has underperformed and has been poorly coached this season, a 20 game stretch in garbage time does little to change that.

It's disappointing to be eliminated early, but I might be more disappointed if the Jets had this good stretch earlier and then faded down the stretch like Florida, Kings, Isles, etc.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
It's disappointing to be eliminated early, but I might be more disappointed if the Jets had this good stretch earlier and then faded down the stretch like Florida, Kings, Isles, etc.

True enough, that would definitely be depressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->