Speculation: Jets vs Leafs: why were there 2 different results?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yep, Maurice's TC absence is just another excuse. The Jets looked better before he got back, then started looking crappy again when he returned. His permanent absence is what the team needs as far as coaching goes.

What do you think he did differently in 2014/15?

I don't recall much of a "before and after" his return early this season. They were discombobulated from the start, exacerbated by the quick loss of Little, Myers, Trouba, etc.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
How was Maurice able to coach such an effective 5v5 system in 2014/15? Did he get dumber? It's a bit of a mystery.

I don't think anyone believes he got dumber, is that an actual question? For some reason the message hasn't gotton through to this team though. Whether it's the players inability to execute it or the coaching staffs inability to teach it, both lay at Maurice's feet.

This team plays systematically different than the 14-15 team, mainly in their own end. I don't know why but I don't see it getting better unless he changes it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think anyone believes he got dumber, is that an actual question? For some reason the message hasn't gotton through to this team though. Whether it's the players inability to execute it or the coaching staffs inability to teach it, both lay at Maurice's feet.

This team plays systematically different than the 14-15 team, mainly in their own end. I don't know why but I don't see it getting better unless he changes it.

I think there are a number of reasons why he hasn't been able to be as effective as 2014/15, but many seem to be reluctant to consider anything other than his incompetence. I think that's simplistic.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I've seen lots of teams maintain their structure despite losing players to injury, including the 14-15 Jets. Sure, some top end skill is lost but not really how they approach their game. This team didn't look good out of the gate and it never consistently did, even after they got healthy and the scheduled lightened.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I think there are a number of reasons why he hasn't been able to be as effective as 2014/15, but many seem to be reluctant to consider anything other than his incompetence. I think that's simplistic.

I think that's maybe painting way too many people with the same brush. There have been lots of reasoned points made for why he hasn't had this team playing better than just simple incompetence.

Shall we just say instead there are lots of reasons why he hasn't been as effective as 14-15 but many people can't consider anything but a variety of excuses?

Neither is fair.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Overall team D was horrible all year long except when D line was decimated. Maybe the forwards need to help out the D more.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that's maybe painting way too many people with the same brush. There have been lots of reasoned points made for why he hasn't had this team playing better than just simple incompetence.

Shall we just say instead there are lots of reasons why he hasn't been as effective as 14-15 but many people can't consider anything but a variety of excuses?

Neither is fair.

I've consistently questioned Maurice's coaching, going back to 2014/15. I think he has strengths and weaknesses and I'm not sure he's the right coach for this roster. But I also recognize that he's had a lot of headwinds this season, including injuries, poor goaltending, and uneven performance by veteran defensemen. I think it's not strictly about a change in systems or competence this year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've seen lots of teams maintain their structure despite losing players to injury, including the 14-15 Jets. Sure, some top end skill is lost but not really how they approach their game. This team didn't look good out of the gate and it never consistently did, even after they got healthy and the scheduled lightened.

Jets had as many as 9 1st and 2nd year players on the roster early on. Vets tend to be better with sticking to a system.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
the thing about Maurice's pedigree?
other than winning the cup with Carolina (and having on-fire goaltending), he's a 0.500 coach.
can't say the same about Babcock

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I've consistently questioned Maurice's coaching, going back to 2014/15. I think he has strengths and weaknesses and I'm not sure he's the right coach for this roster. But I also recognize that he's had a lot of headwinds this season, including injuries, poor goaltending, and uneven performance by veteran defensemen. I think it's not strictly about a change in systems or competence this year.

I don't think any reasonable person strictly thinks it's about systems or competence either, as most posts in this thread show.

Uneven performance by some veterans can sometimes be system related.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Jets had as many as 9 1st and 2nd year players on the roster early on. Vets tend to be better with sticking to a system.

Usually, not exclusively. Maurice isn't the first coach to play with a young roster. Besides it's been pointed out many times, it didn't get a whole lot better when the team returned to health and had most, if not all of it's vets back.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Usually, not exclusively. Maurice isn't the first coach to play with a young roster. Besides it's been pointed out many times, it didn't get a whole lot better when the team returned to health and had most, if not all of it's vets back.

I think things have gotten better since Buff elected to simplify his game. It hasn't been that surprising to me that we have been better since than as he's playing his best hockey of the season and can singlehandedly carry a pairing as he showed during our playoff year. It gives the coaches two real strong pairings. We need this Buff at the start of the season.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I agree with the mention of the loser point. Not long ago we had more wins than Toronto, but overtime losses help.

Of course, there are no loser points in the playoffs, so the team is likely out in 6 games.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
the thing about Maurice's pedigree?
other than winning the cup with Carolina (and having on-fire goaltending), he's a 0.500 coach.
can't say the same about Babcock

PoMo won the Stanley Cup with Carolina? News to me

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think things have gotten better since Buff elected to simplify his game. It hasn't been that surprising to me that we have been better since than as he's playing his best hockey of the season and can singlehandedly carry a pairing as he showed during our playoff year. It gives the coaches two real strong pairings. We need this Buff at the start of the season.

I agree. Seeing a game live clarified for me just how good Buff can be. His passing is elite -- tape to tape virtually every time that game, and he has the ability to slow the game down around him in a way none of the other D, including Trouba in that game, were able to do. Sure he can lose interest, and play rover, but he can also dominate shifts, periods, and even games, and he made way fewer errors in that game at least than I'd expected.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Is Babcock that much more effective than Maurice?

Sure the Jets had some injury problems, ****-poor goaltending, too many penalties, and some bad scheduling, but really, Maurice isn't even qualified to carry Babcock's lunch. Comparing these two is like comparing a Lada to a Ferrari .

GF - Tor (237) Wpg (234) - so offense isn't the problem
GA - Tor (218) Wpg (248) - Jet's defense and goaltending is worse. Blame Chevy and Maurice.

PP% - Tor (24.2) Wpg (17.8) - Jet's PP is being mismanaged. No reason for these numbers when we have the talent compared to Tor. Blame Maurice.

PK% - Tor (83.0) Wpg (76.9) - Jet's PK is being mismanaged. Blame Maurice.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I wouldn't want to point this out on the main board, but at the end of the year will these 2 teams be that much different.

Both could realistically end up 9th in their Conference.

Toronto has Buffalo (in Buffalo), Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Columbus to end off the season. I don't like their chances in any of those games. Washington and Pittsburgh are no brainers, the game against Tampa will be huge. Playing the Jackets in the last game of the season, when nobody wants a loss heading into playoffs.

From where I sit if the Leafs don't beat Buffalo there's a pretty good chance they don't make the playoffs at all.

If that happens we have all the excuses listed in this thread for where we are, but they're in the same place and had a very lucky year on the injury front.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I wouldn't want to point this out on the main board, but at the end of the year will these 2 teams be that much different.

Both could realistically end up 9th in their Conference.

Toronto has Buffalo (in Buffalo), Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Columbus to end off the season. I don't like their chances in any of those games. Washington and Pittsburgh are no brainers, the game against Tampa will be huge. Playing the Jackets in the last game of the season, when nobody wants a loss heading into playoffs.

From where I sit if the Leafs don't beat Buffalo there's a pretty good chance they don't make the playoffs at all.

If that happens we have all the excuses listed in this thread for where we are, but they're in the same place and had a very lucky year on the injury front.

Yeah, but if the miss the playoffs the season will still be hailed as a stunning success -- "30th place to place, no one gave us a shot we were THIS close blah blah blah." One big difference between the Jets and Leafs is that their fan base is a lot better at building winning narratives out of losing news.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Personally I think it has more to do with Buff not feeling the need to put the team on his back every shift, being out of the playoff race and all. I think his defensive statistics this year will be a blip, more random luck than anything compared to his previous years. I don't see a big difference in the way he plays honestly.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Personally I think it has more to do with Buff not feeling the need to put the team on his back every shift, being out of the playoff race and all. I think his defensive statistics this year will be a blip, more random luck than anything compared to his previous years. I don't see a big difference in the way he plays honestly.

Well I've noticed that he's more conscious of when he picks his spots and isn't lugging the puck in as much. I think less is more with him. It could be for the reasons you've mentioned. I also think he put too much pressure on himself and tried to carry too much of the load so to speak. I think he should now realize that we have the talent where he doesn't need to do everything and hopefully that results in Buff being back to his form of a couple of seasons ago. Also subtle changes for a player as talented as Buff make for big differences on the ice imo.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Injuries, schedule, goaltending, yes, these are all issues, but the big problem is that this group is a bunch of losers. All year long with the excuses, and now the narrative is "woe is me" we need to to work so hard to compete even though the games are meaningless.....waaaaa

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Injuries, schedule, goaltending, yes, these are all issues, but the big problem is that this group is a bunch of losers. All year long with the excuses, and now the narrative is "woe is me" we need to to work so hard to compete even though the games are meaningless.....waaaaa

So what do you propose we do about the bolded. Trade everyone? Hire Charlie Sheen as our new head coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad