GDT: Jets vs Canucks - Rogers Arena - Oct 12, 9:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Pre-game player audio: Myers, Kulikov and Scheifele.

Coach Maurice pre-game scrum topics: ... More on the Byfuglien fishing trip.
To listen click here.

Haven't listened to this yet but it seems that Buff's fishing was a hot topic during the Maurice presser for the 2nd day in a row. Yet, no questions have been asked by the media about the following topics- "Jets' terrible passive PK", "The front of the Jets net looking like an 'everyone invited frat party'", "Baffling player deployment patterns". Sad!

Perhaps Dano should bring a sturgeon fish to the next press conference or a fan should throw a sturgeon fish on ice during a Jets PK to get media's attention onto these topics. It's clear that the Winnipeg media seems to find sturgeon fish really fascinating and exciting. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Board Bard

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
This is a big game. Really need a win tonight to keep everyone from panicking

I won't be panicking. Panic should be reserved for things like having a grizzly bear chase you, or having your chute not open when skydiving, or having your contact pop out when decelerating from 200+ km/h before entering a corner off a straightaway on a motorcycle. ;)

The last actually happened to me. Result >>:scared:

Watching my favorite team lose a hockey game? I'm sure I'll get grumpy, then move on to the next game.

Go :jets !!

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Haven't listened to this yet but it seems that Buff's fishing was a hot topic during the Maurice presser for the 2nd day in a row. Yet, no questions have been asked by the media about the following topics- "Jets' terrible passive PK", "The front of the Jets net looking like an 'everyone invited frat party'", "Baffling player deployment patterns". Sad!

Perhaps Dano should bring a sturgeon fish to the next press conference or a fan should throw a sturgeon fish on ice during a Jets PK to get media's attention onto these topics. It's clear that the Winnipeg media seems to find sturgeon fish really fascinating and exciting. :sarcasm:
We got to start doing that! Only problem is they are really illegal to possess!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems like he is a healthy scratch for tonight. The "Sip Treatment" has many success stories (Scheifele and Wheeler are shining examples), unfortunately it never worked on Burmi :(

Line numbering is not a media or fan creation. Maurice decides which line gets numbered as the 3rd line and which 4th depending on how much icetime he allocates for each and so far his icetime allocations give out a clear and unambiguous signal- Lowry line is the 3rd line.
Coaches rarely if ever call line's 1,2,3,4 we do as fans/media. Yes we do it based on amount of play but it is us who number them. Pretty much every coach has their lines in constant transition and label them based on who the center is. So yes technically whatever line Lowry centers will most nights be considered the #3 line as he gets the 3rd highest % of TOI among centers. But that doesn't necessarily automatically correspond to % of TOI for the wingers. For example to date Petan has a higher % of TOI in games he has played over Tanev even though Tanev has lined up with Lowry to start.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
These kinds of posts are super frustrating. This is what we know about Petan:

1. He has produced at a fantastic rate at every single level in the minors (including when the he was with the Moose where his scoring rate was very good for a rookie)
  2. His numbers when he played with skilled players last season were very good, those skilled players saw a boost in their numbers when playing with Petan
  3. He was very good in the preseason playing with skilled players
Given points 1, 2 and 3 I think wanting to see Petan play more and with players who are skilled is the most obvious conclusion. Maybe he makes it in the NHL or maybe he does not. Maybe his numbers in the minors can't translate to the NHL. Maybe his good numbers with skilled players were a product of small sample sizes. Maybe his preseaon performance was a mirage. But given that one has to throw in so many maybes to downplay Petan then perhaps it warrants him getting an extended look so that those maybes can be proven one way or the other.

Petan is Winnipeg Jets property for the next 5 years. Given that he has shown, him succeeding can only be good for the Jets. What I don't "get" is why some are so willing to write off a player who could help the Jets big time. What do the Jets have to lose? I mean it's not like the guys that play ahead of him are lighting the world on fire

Give Petan atleast ~14 minutes a night including PP time. Play him with players of some level of skill (a Perreault - Petan - Dano type line). Let that experiment ride out for atleast ~25 games. Then you start to fairly evaluate what you have in Petan. Hot takes based on one game or speculation based on perceived bias for smaller players are not going to convince many people

You are welcome to be frustrated all you want. I am not against Petan, to the contrary. I want him to succeed, he's a Jet.
What I'm not interested in is giving the guy special treatment. All young Jets before him had to work their way up the lineup, and prove their worth. Yes, their stats suffered while they were with 'anchors' but they found a way to earn more icetime and a bigger role with other players who earned the right to play on the top lines.
Why in holy hell should Nic Petan be treated any differently than thousands of other rookies before him in the NHL (and other leagues)?
He will either rise to the top a la Ehlers, Laine, Scheifele, or he will fade away like players like Machacek, Burmistrov, and hundreds of others.
That is what happens when you play in the best league on the planet in your sport.

Sure, there are players who are held back on teams because of strong lineups ahead of them. These players often find a career resurgence elsewhere. They also prove that they just weren't good enough, or become serviceable tweeners. The REALLY smart ones reinvent themselves and play a role on the team they are on that that team needs.

Nic Petan will either:
- Play well enough where and when given an opportunity here to move up the lineup
- Get traded and find a home in a weaker team's top 6
- Mold himself into a different player and have success here (or elsewhere)
- Or prove he does not belong in this league.

I do not think number one happens here. I don't think he is better than anyone in our top 6 and furthermore I think there are others in the org not in the top 6 who are better.

I am frustrated with people who think he somehow deserves special treatment. He is a fringe NHL'er at best at this point. Will he prove me wrong? Perhaps but the start of this season isn't looking like anything different from the diminutive one. PS I am not against small players. Ehlers, Little, Perreault, Enstrom - I never knock them for size. Hell I'd love a Martin St. Louis or Gaudreau on this team.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pretty sure it was Kevin Sawyer that was alongside Beyak for that Edmonton game.
I liked Dave Thomlinson from the preseason myself.
Looks like it will be a revolving door for who gets colour duty for this year's TSN jets broadcasts.

TSN replacement(s) blurb

GJG!

Thanks! Also appreciate the blurb. IIRC there were three guys who did preseason games: Boynton (blagh), Thomlinson (also liked him), and was the third Sawyer or someone else?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
You are welcome to be frustrated all you want. I am not against Petan, to the contrary. I want him to succeed, he's a Jet.
What I'm not interested in is giving the guy special treatment. All young Jets before him had to work their way up the lineup, and prove their worth. Yes, their stats suffered while they were with 'anchors' but they found a way to earn more icetime and a bigger role with other players who earned the right to play on the top lines.
Why in holy hell should Nic Petan be treated any differently than thousands of other rookies before him in the NHL (and other leagues)?
He will either rise to the top a la Ehlers, Laine, Scheifele, or he will fade away like players like Machacek, Burmistrov, and hundreds of others.
That is what happens when you play in the best league on the planet in your sport.

Sure, there are players who are held back on teams because of strong lineups ahead of them. These players often find a career resurgence elsewhere. They also prove that they just weren't good enough, or become serviceable tweeners. The REALLY smart ones reinvent themselves and play a role on the team they are on that that team needs.

Nic Petan will either:
- Play well enough where and when given an opportunity here to move up the lineup
- Get traded and find a home in a weaker team's top 6
- Mold himself into a different player and have success here (or elsewhere)
- Or prove he does not belong in this league.

I do not think number one happens here. I don't think he is better than anyone in our top 6 and furthermore I think there are others in the org not in the top 6 who are better.

I am frustrated with people who think he somehow deserves special treatment. He is a fringe NHL'er at best at this point. Will he prove me wrong? Perhaps but the start of this season isn't looking like anything different from the diminutive one. PS I am not against small players. Ehlers, Little, Perreault, Enstrom - I never knock them for size. Hell I'd love a Martin St. Louis or Gaudreau on this team.
Special treatment!!! The only special treatment Petan & Dano get from Maurice is a healthy dose of benching & a whole lot of scum linemates in between. For once he has them on a half decent line, but playing 4th line minutes & make one mistake and its back to the bench or scrub linemates for another 5 games

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Special treatment!!! The only special treatment Petan & Dano get from Maurice is a healthy dose of benching & a whole lot of scum linemates in between. For once he has them on a half decent line, but playing 4th line minutes & make one mistake and its back to the bench or scrub linemates for another 5 games
Aren't they currently each others line mates? Since neither is "scum" and Copp has done more than either of them, shouldn't they be a pretty effective 4th line? It seems to me they now have a pretty good opportunity to prove they belong further up the lineup.

Reactions: Jet

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Aren't they currently each others line mates? Since neither is "scum" and Copp has done more than either of them, shouldn't they be a pretty effective 4th line? It seems to me they now have a pretty good opportunity to prove they belong further up the lineup.
Thats exactly what I said, for once they have decent linemates but watch how many minutes they get and how they keep that line together. As others have said, give them a chance to develop some chemistry with decent linemates once, but Mo has got to be boss.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just Win Baby!

IMG_4263.jpg

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
pretty confident we will win tonight 4-1 or 4-2 boys are feeling more confident and vancouver might take the night off being to relaxed. but this is the nhl and you never know.. just hope eveyone plays well and helly has another confidence building game. shief continues his goal streak laine with a pp clapper and poolman picks up his first with a bomb thru traffic and lets say lowry find one for shts n giggles

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Watching the Pens and Lightning game, our team should really be emulating the Lighrning' s style of play. We have very similarly constructed teams. We should be using our combination of size and skill much like they do.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Thats exactly what I said, for once they have decent linemates but watch how many minutes they get and how they keep that line together. As others have said, give them a chance to develop some chemistry with decent linemates once, but Mo has got to be boss.

They got crushed against relatively easy competition.... I wouldn't be putting them out more often againsthan an oilers squad only up by 2 goals.

I'm sure if they do better tonight they see more ice time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->