GDT: Jets vs Canucks - Rogers Arena - Oct 12, 9:00pm CT

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by Aavco Cup, Oct 12, 2017 at 2:28 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICdave

ICdave Registered User

Home Page:
    Pre-game player audio: Myers, Kulikov and Scheifele.

Coach Maurice pre-game scrum topics: On the players mindset with respect to reactions to a win or a loss. Status of Matt Hendricks. Status of Byfuglien. What has he seen from the Canucks? More on the Byfuglien fishing trip. Play of Tucker Poolman. Simplicity to Poolman's game. Getting shots through. On Poolman's progression from where he was six years ago. Do players like Poolman appreciate it more when they get to the NHL? On Petan's play. On his relationship with Canucks coach Travis Green. On returning with Hellebuyck tonight. Trying to line match.

To listen click here.

2. winnipegger

winnipegger Registered User

Don't take Vancouver lightly. For all the conventional wisdom about Van being bad, they really aren't that bad. The Sedins are still players and Horvat is underrated. Tanev on the blueline (they have the good Tanev). Wouldn't surprise at all to see a close game.

roccerfeller likes this.
  3. TorJet

TorJet Registered User

I'm nominating the "Byfuglien fishing" discussion as an early frontrunner for Annoying Topic of the Year.

WHO CARES! Off Day.... injury.... Exhibit A of the desperation of sports media to fill air time with ANY topic.

4. MotionlessGravity

MotionlessGravity Registered User

No kidding, teams have days off and mandatory days off and guess what guys have other hobbies and interests outside of the game. Heaven forbid players do something they enjoy in their down time. Fishing is probably one of the better things that could be done with a minor injury.

Pmo's answers were great, the right amount of are you seriously asking me this again tone laced in there. Leave it alone already.

Dayofthedogs and roccerfeller like this.
  5. Eddy Punch Clock

Eddy Punch Clock FIRE AND FURY

Burmi is a healthy scratch tonight. Brock Boeser will be suiting up for his first game this season.

6. roccerfeller

roccerfeller jets bromantic

I feel like there's a good mix to be had in the bottom 6, but I agree i'm not a fan of them either as it currently stands. Im not sure what the answer is though, lots of good suggestions on this forum last few weeks that look better on paper...but Im not sure, so hopefully there is more tinkering to be had. I'm not sure Tanev should be on the 3rd line personally, but he's got a SHG and made some good plays last 2 games.

Hoping for a Dano goal vs the Canucks :D

Oh, and happy to see Poolman on. What a nice surprise he's been

7. Shaibu

Shaibu Registered User

Ouch!

8. Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing Registered User

True we don’t need anyone else weighing in on this. :laugh:

9. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Deregistered User Sponsor

To start - I expect all 3 of ESL to have improved defensively since last year simply by virtue of a year's experience. Plus, I believe all 3 have mentioned working on developing their all around games. I will concede that it might be better to go with 1 lineup on the road and another at home - maybe.

Then putting Wheeler with Little allows some flexibility at 2LW. I don't think it is a good idea to saddle Little with both Laine and another inexperienced player but with Wheeler on his RW, LW is open for various moves. Maybe Petan flourishes there. Maybe Connor is recalled for that spot.

That in turn allows putting play driver MP on the 3rd line. Isn't that what you want?

10. objectiveposter

objectiveposter Registered User

Poolman in lineup = win.
    Its that simple

bluuuurr likes this.
  11. DashingDane

DashingDane Registered User

Agree with the above. Even if MP isn't moved down (which Paul doesn't seem to want to do) they could also go PSL and ELW. ELW didn't look great last year but I don't see why they wouldn't work it out eventually. Plenty of options but I doubt we see any changes before they have another stinker..

12. Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield The Eternal Skeptic

One game does not a season make. The Petan-Copp-Dano line did struggle at times against the Oilers, and the usage reflected that. Over the longer term more consistently these guys have produced far superior results than Matthias-Lowry-Tanev so on average the expectation is that they will do better. I'm all for benching guys who are not playing well, but the reverse needs to be true.

The issue is that Lowry plays big minutes no matter what, and Petan-Dano can seemingly do nothing to earn those higher minutes. Last game they certainly didn't earn it and didn't receive it. It will happen at some point that they do earn more, yet it never seems to matter. That's issue I've had with it.

Again as has been talked about it would be a big help if Perreault was moved onto the 3rd line with Petan/Copp/Dano with one of those moved onto top 2 lines to balance the scoring. Give teams 3 lines that they have to match up against, good luck with that for other teams.

Also it would be really nice if Maurice would stop using the Lowry line after a goal against. They never manage to swing momentum back as we saw in the Edmonton game they got scored on instantly. The idea of tossing the checking line out after a goal against is an old mentality that now contributes to momentum spiraling on the Jets.

13. JetBlue420

JetBlue420 Registered User

Architect
    I still dont get the Petan love. Its actually mind boggling how far people will go to defend him. Its crazy. People going on about Lowry yet praising Petan. I dont hate the guy and wish him the best but there comes a point where you need to pull your head from the sand and just accept that rigjy now Petan isnt very good. And who knows if he ever will be. But hes good on the PP? Really? The same PP that has struggled big time? I dont get the love. Hes a marginal fringe NHL player whether people accept it or not... Pull out the charts all you want.. In the scheme of things they dont mean much... Ill say this about these charts... If they are saying Petan is a good NHL player... Well those charts credibility level is pretty much non existent.

Quick... Someone come save loverboy Petan who has done nothing of note in the NHL.

Lol. Petan Copp Dano.. Yeah ill bet NHL coaches just dread that combo. Lol. As if.

Cant be serious. Petan Copp Dano have done nothing of note. They are an afterthought... Teams probably hope they are on the ice lots so they can play that shift entirely in the Jets zone.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    Jet likes this.
  14. Mortimer Snerd

Agree with the bolded, at least for the short term. If they continue winning but the 2nd line continues to be ineffective PMo will have to try something to get them going.

15. Mortimer Snerd

I still don't get the Petan love hate. Its actually mind boggling how far people will go to defend attack him. Its crazy.

You continue to refuse to consider usage. Petan has crapped the bed when playing with plugs. He has been very good when playing with good players so your statements to the effect that he is not very good don't stand up.

Set him up to succeed. If he still is bad then we can send him down to the Moose and need never see him mentioned on a Jets thread again - ever. Until then people will continue to disagree with you.

Mathil8, JetsFan815 and pucka lucka like this.
  16. winnipegger

winnipegger Registered User

Instead of spreading out talent Maurice has front loaded the top two lines. I guess the idea is that they will score enough that it justifies a poverty of scoring in the bottom 6. If it doesn't work hopefully he is not too stubborn to change...

17. Guilty Party

Guilty Party Healthy Scratch 4lyfe

Pretty sure it was Kevin Sawyer that was alongside Beyak for that Edmonton game.
    I liked Dave Thomlinson from the preseason myself.
    Looks like it will be a revolving door for who gets colour duty for this year's TSN jets broadcasts.

TSN replacement(s) blurb

GJG!

Mathil8 likes this.
  18. nobody important

nobody important Won't Get Fooled Again

Aha! So you're the rock thrower! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017 at 5:54 PM
  19. nobody important

nobody important Won't Get Fooled Again

How do you do the strikethrough text?

20. Kent C Tugood

Kent C Tugood Not Quite Dead Yet

Computer Scientist/Madman
    Not only do I think we'll win tonight, I think we'll win by two! $20000 vCash says so!

Hope to see another solid effort. As long as we don't fall asleep, I'm confident in this game.

21. YWGinYYZ

YWGinYYZ Administrator

Code:
    [s]Strikethrough text here[/s]
    Results in:

Strikethrough text here

---

It'll be interesting to see which team shows up tonight. GJG!

nobody important and sipowicz like this.
  22. Peggy

Peggy Registered User

I don't think it's just the lines, but the system that's being implemented

Change the system tho and you probably have different looking lines

roccerfeller likes this.
  23. Mortimer Snerd

Or 'Insert' > 'strike through' Its in the menu now. :)

nobody important likes this.
  24. DoingItCoolKiwi

DoingItCoolKiwi Registered User

Shutting out Nucks would feel better than anything else I can think of right now. Please.

25. Jet

Jet Buff Basher

Talking head
    I doubt it, word around town is that Little is too small and slow and the 'other guy' finds the ice too slippery :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.