GDT: Jets vs Canucks - Rogers Arena - Oct 12, 9:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Pre-game player audio: Myers, Kulikov and Scheifele.

Coach Maurice pre-game scrum topics: On the players mindset with respect to reactions to a win or a loss. Status of Matt Hendricks. Status of Byfuglien. What has he seen from the Canucks? More on the Byfuglien fishing trip. Play of Tucker Poolman. Simplicity to Poolman's game. Getting shots through. On Poolman's progression from where he was six years ago. Do players like Poolman appreciate it more when they get to the NHL? On Petan's play. On his relationship with Canucks coach Travis Green. On returning with Hellebuyck tonight. Trying to line match.

To listen click here.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Don't take Vancouver lightly. For all the conventional wisdom about Van being bad, they really aren't that bad. The Sedins are still players and Horvat is underrated. Tanev on the blueline (they have the good Tanev). Wouldn't surprise at all to see a close game.

Reactions: roccerfeller

MotionlessGravity

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm nominating the "Byfuglien fishing" discussion as an early frontrunner for Annoying Topic of the Year.

WHO CARES! Off Day.... injury.... Exhibit A of the desperation of sports media to fill air time with ANY topic.

No kidding, teams have days off and mandatory days off and guess what guys have other hobbies and interests outside of the game. Heaven forbid players do something they enjoy in their down time. Fishing is probably one of the better things that could be done with a minor injury.

Pmo's answers were great, the right amount of are you seriously asking me this again tone laced in there. Leave it alone already.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Still think that bottom 6 is really bad

As long as Maurice keeps playing lines like this I'll probably remain pessimistic

I feel like there's a good mix to be had in the bottom 6, but I agree i'm not a fan of them either as it currently stands. Im not sure what the answer is though, lots of good suggestions on this forum last few weeks that look better on paper...but Im not sure, so hopefully there is more tinkering to be had. I'm not sure Tanev should be on the 3rd line personally, but he's got a SHG and made some good plays last 2 games.

Hoping for a Dano goal vs the Canucks :D

Oh, and happy to see Poolman on. What a nice surprise he's been

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm nominating the "Byfuglien fishing" discussion as an early frontrunner for Annoying Topic of the Year.

WHO CARES! Off Day.... injury.... Exhibit A of the desperation of sports media to fill air time with ANY topic.

True we don’t need anyone else weighing in on this. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm still also not sure what the obsession is with regards to uniting Ehlers/Scheifele/Laine.

Besides a couple of point scoring sprees all the other numbers suggested they were being fed their lunch more often than not. They had bad underlying numbers that implied they were going to get outscored badly if left together.

This problem was especially prevalent on the road when PoMo couldn't control match ups.

A ESL line and a PLW line puts our 3 best play drivers together and 2/3 of our best scorers together.

What's most confusing is that the same reasoning to spread out our talent across 3 lines doesn't ever seem to enter the equation when we talk about a top 6 that has ESL and PLW.

Why wouldn't you want a play driver on each line?

To start - I expect all 3 of ESL to have improved defensively since last year simply by virtue of a year's experience. Plus, I believe all 3 have mentioned working on developing their all around games. I will concede that it might be better to go with 1 lineup on the road and another at home - maybe.

Then putting Wheeler with Little allows some flexibility at 2LW. I don't think it is a good idea to saddle Little with both Laine and another inexperienced player but with Wheeler on his RW, LW is open for various moves. Maybe Petan flourishes there. Maybe Connor is recalled for that spot.

That in turn allows putting play driver MP on the 3rd line. Isn't that what you want?

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
To start - I expect all 3 of ESL to have improved defensively since last year simply by virtue of a year's experience. Plus, I believe all 3 have mentioned working on developing their all around games. I will concede that it might be better to go with 1 lineup on the road and another at home - maybe.

Then putting Wheeler with Little allows some flexibility at 2LW. I don't think it is a good idea to saddle Little with both Laine and another inexperienced player but with Wheeler on his RW, LW is open for various moves. Maybe Petan flourishes there. Maybe Connor is recalled for that spot.

That in turn allows putting play driver MP on the 3rd line. Isn't that what you want?

Agree with the above. Even if MP isn't moved down (which Paul doesn't seem to want to do) they could also go PSL and ELW. ELW didn't look great last year but I don't see why they wouldn't work it out eventually. Plenty of options but I doubt we see any changes before they have another stinker..

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Why?

Dano/Copp/Petan looked like hot garbage with their minutes against the Oilers. Think they had like 1 shot attempt for and 12 against. They were also sheltered when they could be.

Meanwhile, Matthias/Lowry/Tanev were quite effective with much tougher minutes and just about 0 sheltering. Over 50% corsi for Lowry.

I don't understand why people think that possessing "skill" (whatever that means) makes you a more effective NHLer than guys who actually produce consistent results (Lowry anyways, not always sure how he carries around the Tanev's and Matthias' of the world and doesn't sink)

Having whatever "skill" that Petan/Copp/Dano do that Lowry does not doesn't seem to make them more effective NHLers at this point.

One game does not a season make. The Petan-Copp-Dano line did struggle at times against the Oilers, and the usage reflected that. Over the longer term more consistently these guys have produced far superior results than Matthias-Lowry-Tanev so on average the expectation is that they will do better. I'm all for benching guys who are not playing well, but the reverse needs to be true.

The issue is that Lowry plays big minutes no matter what, and Petan-Dano can seemingly do nothing to earn those higher minutes. Last game they certainly didn't earn it and didn't receive it. It will happen at some point that they do earn more, yet it never seems to matter. That's issue I've had with it.

Again as has been talked about it would be a big help if Perreault was moved onto the 3rd line with Petan/Copp/Dano with one of those moved onto top 2 lines to balance the scoring. Give teams 3 lines that they have to match up against, good luck with that for other teams.

Also it would be really nice if Maurice would stop using the Lowry line after a goal against. They never manage to swing momentum back as we saw in the Edmonton game they got scored on instantly. The idea of tossing the checking line out after a goal against is an old mentality that now contributes to momentum spiraling on the Jets.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I still dont get the Petan love. Its actually mind boggling how far people will go to defend him. Its crazy. People going on about Lowry yet praising Petan. I dont hate the guy and wish him the best but there comes a point where you need to pull your head from the sand and just accept that rigjy now Petan isnt very good. And who knows if he ever will be. But hes good on the PP? Really? The same PP that has struggled big time? I dont get the love. Hes a marginal fringe NHL player whether people accept it or not... Pull out the charts all you want.. In the scheme of things they dont mean much... Ill say this about these charts... If they are saying Petan is a good NHL player... Well those charts credibility level is pretty much non existent.

Quick... Someone come save loverboy Petan who has done nothing of note in the NHL.

Lol. Petan Copp Dano.. Yeah ill bet NHL coaches just dread that combo. Lol. As if.

Cant be serious. Petan Copp Dano have done nothing of note. They are an afterthought... Teams probably hope they are on the ice lots so they can play that shift entirely in the Jets zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree with the above. Even if MP isn't moved down (which Paul doesn't seem to want to do) they could also go PSL and ELW. ELW didn't look great last year but I don't see why they wouldn't work it out eventually. Plenty of options but I doubt we see any changes before they have another stinker..

Agree with the bolded, at least for the short term. If they continue winning but the 2nd line continues to be ineffective PMo will have to try something to get them going.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still dont get the Petan love. Its actually mind boggling how far people will go to defend him. Its crazy. People going on about Lowry yet praising Petan. I dont hate the guy and wish him the best but there comes a point where you need to pull your head from the sand and just accept that rigjy now Petan isnt very good. And who knows if he ever will be. But hes good on the PP? Really? The same PP that has struggled big time? I dont get the love. Hes a marginal fringe NHL player whether people accept it or not... Pull out the charts all you want.. In the scheme of things they dont mean much... Ill say this about these charts... If they are saying Petan is a good NHL player... Well those charts credibility level is pretty much non existent.

Quick... Someone come save loverboy Petan who has done nothing of note in the NHL.

Lol. Petan Copp Dano.. Yeah ill bet NHL coaches just dread that combo. Lol. As if.

I still don't get the Petan love hate. Its actually mind boggling how far people will go to defend attack him. Its crazy.

You continue to refuse to consider usage. Petan has crapped the bed when playing with plugs. He has been very good when playing with good players so your statements to the effect that he is not very good don't stand up.

Set him up to succeed. If he still is bad then we can send him down to the Moose and need never see him mentioned on a Jets thread again - ever. Until then people will continue to disagree with you.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Instead of spreading out talent Maurice has front loaded the top two lines. I guess the idea is that they will score enough that it justifies a poverty of scoring in the bottom 6. If it doesn't work hopefully he is not too stubborn to change...

Kent C Tugood

Not Quite Dead Yet
Jan 1, 2012
Doontoon
Not only do I think we'll win tonight, I think we'll win by two! $20000 vCash says so!

Hope to see another solid effort. As long as we don't fall asleep, I'm confident in this game.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I feel like there's a good mix to be had in the bottom 6, but I agree i'm not a fan of them either as it currently stands. Im not sure what the answer is though, lots of good suggestions on this forum last few weeks that look better on paper...but Im not sure, so hopefully there is more tinkering to be had. I'm not sure Tanev should be on the 3rd line personally, but he's got a SHG and made some good plays last 2 games.

Hoping for a Dano goal vs the Canucks :D

Oh, and happy to see Poolman on. What a nice surprise he's been
I don't think it's just the lines, but the system that's being implemented

Change the system tho and you probably have different looking lines

Reactions: roccerfeller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad