Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Blackhawks- Fri Jan 12 7:30pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Do we know what's up with Lowry? Has he entered the ranks of the dreaded day-to-month injured?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Would really love to see what a Dano-Roslovic-Armia line would do. Dano and Armia played together for like 15 seconds last game and had 3 good chances in that span.

Me too. Dano can be a really good finisher, especially net-front. Reminds me a bit of vintage Ladd that way (and only in that way).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would really love to see what a Dano-Roslovic-Armia line would do. Dano and Armia played together for like 15 seconds last game and had 3 good chances in that span.

What are the other lines?
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Ehlers - Copp - Laine
Dano - Roslo - Armia
MP??? - Hendricks - Matthias
Maybe swap Dano and MP. That would give Roslovic pretty good support.

I really didn't like the Wheeler line in the Dzone against Buffalo. The worst of course was that long shift but they have been pinned in their own zone other times too.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ehlers - Copp - Laine
Dano - Roslo - Armia

I really didn't like the Wheeler line in the Dzone against Buffalo. The worst of course was that long shift but they have been pinned in their own zone other times too.

Wouldn't change the top 6. Right now the 4th line would be Matthias - Hendricks - Copp. Copp is a swiss army knife you can put anywhere, Matthias and Hendricks are just the two extra guys while we wait for Lowry and Tanev to return. Particularly since Maurice insists on playing 4th line just 5 minutes, it would ensure our best players are playing more minutes. Copp, Hendricks, and Matthias are also PK guys right now so it would help even the minutes.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers - Copp - Laine
Dano - Roslo - Armia

Wheeler is not the smartest player in the D zone no matter his line mates.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wouldn't change the top 6. Right now the 4th line would be Matthias - Hendricks - Copp. Copp is a swiss army knife you can put anywhere, Matthias and Hendricks are just the two extra guys while we wait for Lowry and Tanev to return. Particularly since Maurice insists on playing 4th line just 5 minutes, it would ensure our best players are playing more minutes. Copp, Hendricks, and Matthias are also PK guys right now so it would help even the minutes.

Well then it would be interesting just to see how that combo works but I think it underutilizes Copp and doesn't solve the problem of the Wheeler line.

I was impressed with him at C at first but the cracks are appearing.

Wheeler is not the smartest player in the D zone no matter his line mates.

Maybe. Him being C with not the best of defensive wingers is not looking so good now.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He has never looked good in the D zone....it is just that the play is usually in the O zone when he is on the ice.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well then it would be interesting just to see how that combo works but I think it underutilizes Copp and doesn't solve the problem of the Wheeler line.

I was impressed with him at C at first but the cracks are appearing.

Maybe. Him being C with not the best of defensive wingers is not looking so good now.

There's no options to really solve the Wheeler issue right now. Team is winning despite that weakness right now, not much more to be done. It's better to "underutilize" Copp vs Dano since Dano has much more offensive upside. Plus Copp adapts better to different roles. All that is really changing is swapping Armia and Hendricks in the lines I'd like to see.

Eventually once you get healthy (minus Scheifele) you have a lineup as
Connor - Wheeler - Laine
Ehlers - Little - Perreault
Dano - Roslovic - Armia
Tanev - Lowry - Copp
Best lineup we can run without Schef. Unfortunately it's all academic since Maurice has a very set 1-14 rating on all players (as he has mentioned in PR talking about "depth chart") and his views are skewed from reality a bit.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's no options to really solve the Wheeler issue right now. Team is winning despite that weakness right now, not much more to be done. It's better to "underutilize" Copp vs Dano since Dano has much more offensive upside. Plus Copp adapts better to different roles. All that is really changing is swapping Armia and Hendricks in the lines I'd like to see.

Eventually once you get healthy (minus Scheifele) you have a lineup as
Connor - Wheeler - Laine
Ehlers - Little - Perreault
Dano - Roslovic - Armia
Tanev - Lowry - Copp
Best lineup we can run without Schef. Unfortunately it's all academic since Maurice has a very set 1-14 rating on all players (as he has mentioned in PR talking about "depth chart") and his views are skewed from reality a bit.

I know you like Dano. I want to see him given more opportunity too. But it isn't about better utilizing Copp. It is about replacing Wheeler at C, IMO. If Dano plays LW that then puts MP back with Hendricks .... without Armia. That puts it back to being a 5-6 min 4th line. It worked as a stealth scoring line with both MP and Armia. I don't think it happens without Armia there. And it means we are playing Dano ahead of Perreault.

Your best lineup w/o 55 still has that weak Wheeler line. Maybe it can be better swapping MP/Armia/Copp for Laine. Someone to help get out of the Dzone.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I know you like Dano. I want to see him given more opportunity too. But it isn't about better utilizing Copp. It is about replacing Wheeler at C, IMO. If Dano plays LW that then puts MP back with Hendricks .... without Armia. That puts it back to being a 5-6 min 4th line. It worked as a stealth scoring line with both MP and Armia. I don't think it happens without Armia there. And it means we are playing Dano ahead of Perreault.

Your best lineup w/o 55 still has that weak Wheeler line. Maybe it can be better swapping MP/Armia/Copp for Laine. Someone to help get out of the Dzone.

Like it or not, Maurice is stuck in the past with a top 6 and bottom 6. There is no interchangeable parts for him in this respect. So those 6 guys we currently have in "top 6" will stay in top 6. Order them however you want, but that's the way it's going to be. Once Scheifele comes back, Perreault will be bumped out and again, no interchangeable parts until another injury. That's just how he rolls in top 6 and bottom 6 mentality.

My only point was I wanted to see a Dano - Roslovic - Armia line, which would be a hugely dangerous line in the "bottom 6", IMO, even moreso than Perreault - Hendricks - Armia. Overall I'd rate my line better than even Perreault one.

Then you have the leftovers, which is Matthias - Hendricks - Copp right now, albeit with Lowry shortly back and Tanev coming sometime after that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Like it or not, Maurice is stuck in the past with a top 6 and bottom 6. There is no interchangeable parts for him in this respect. So those 6 guys we currently have in "top 6" will stay in top 6. Order them however you want, but that's the way it's going to be. Once Scheifele comes back, Perreault will be bumped out and again, no interchangeable parts until another injury. That's just how he rolls in top 6 and bottom 6 mentality.

My only point was I wanted to see a Dano - Roslovic - Armia line, which would be a hugely dangerous line in the "bottom 6", IMO, even moreso than Perreault - Hendricks - Armia. Overall I'd rate my line better than even Perreault one.

Then you have the leftovers, which is Matthias - Hendricks - Copp right now, albeit with Lowry shortly back and Tanev coming sometime after that.

I can't argue with much of that. If in fact we are stuck with the top 6 from the last game then I agree, it would be interesting to see that line.

Just as is the case with Petan, Dano can't be judged properly until he is set up to succeed. That also might include using him at RW, where he might perform better in spite of 'handedness'.

Once tried though I think we might see that Copp would perform better with Roslo - Armia than Dano would. He seems to succeed wherever he is played. I think you are miscasting him as a leftover. Maybe a bit like Maurice is miscasting Dano.

More of these variations should have been tried in TC. Since they weren't they should be tried now when we are scrambling to cover for injuries.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I can't argue with much of that. If in fact we are stuck with the top 6 from the last game then I agree, it would be interesting to see that line.

Just as is the case with Petan, Dano can't be judged properly until he is set up to succeed. That also might include using him at RW, where he might perform better in spite of 'handedness'.

Once tried though I think we might see that Copp would perform better with Roslo - Armia than Dano would. He seems to succeed wherever he is played. I think you are miscasting him as a leftover. Maybe a bit like Maurice is miscasting Dano.

More of these variations should have been tried in TC. Since they weren't they should be tried now when we are scrambling to cover for injuries.

Copp is not really a "leftover". It was just a statement of the guys left once we have a great 3rd line. The biggest strength, IMO, is his versatility. He works well pretty much anywhere. He is a very valuable player to have because of this, but that shouldn't be overrated either. He does not have nearly as much offensive skill as a Dano. One of his strengths is that he can play better than a Dano on a limited role. Not that his role would even be that limited when you consider his PK time. And here's the rub, is that Maurice's love of the Tanev - Lowry - Copp line can easily be re-assembled as the former two return from injury.

Doesn't really matter though. Maurice clearly has a very strict 1-14 rated in his head at this point, and that will not change no matter the results, IMO. He builds his lines pretty clearly according to that. Roslovic is a wildcard in that so we'll see. I expect Dano and Roslovic to quickly be pulled from the roster once Lowry and Tanev return unfortunately, and we are worse off for it.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Well it should be said that whatever Maurice is "stuck on" seems to be working out in a very sustainable way. The Jets have turned around their fancy stats in a massive way and have a +30 goal differential. If he would replace Hendricks with an actual hockey player I would have basically zero problems with Maurice at this point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Copp is not really a "leftover". It was just a statement of the guys left once we have a great 3rd line. The biggest strength, IMO, is his versatility. He works well pretty much anywhere. He is a very valuable player to have because of this, but that shouldn't be overrated either. He does not have nearly as much offensive skill as a Dano. One of his strengths is that he can play better than a Dano on a limited role. Not that his role would even be that limited when you consider his PK time. And here's the rub, is that Maurice's love of the Tanev - Lowry - Copp line can easily be re-assembled as the former two return from injury.

Doesn't really matter though. Maurice clearly has a very strict 1-14 rated in his head at this point, and that will not change no matter the results, IMO. He builds his lines pretty clearly according to that. Roslovic is a wildcard in that so we'll see. I expect Dano and Roslovic to quickly be pulled from the roster once Lowry and Tanev return unfortunately, and we are worse off for it.

Understood. I think you might overrate Dano's and underrate Copp's offensive skill. But that remains to be demonstrated - and yes, I've seen your advanced stats studies of Dano. We don't know if he can live up to that picture if used properly long term. The same goes for Copp. My expectations may be more than he can live up to, but what he has shown lately suggests it is more than he has been able to show with the opportunity he has had so far.

Hope Maurice surprises us. He does that once in a while.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Connor. Little. Wheeler.
Ehlers. Roslovic. Laine.
Matthias. Copp. Armia.
Perreault. Hendricks. Dano.

Play all four lines. Short shifts. Let’s see if Dano can replicate what Armia did with a little bit of grit. Let’s see if Roslovic can spark Laine and Ehlers with more points.

Edit: or switch Matthias with Dano.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Ehlers - Copp - Laine
Dano - Roslo - Armia

i would go
ehlers little wheeler
perrault copp laine
connor roslo armia roslovic and connor had chemistry with the moose earlier and armia adds some puck retrievel defence aspect.
dano hendo lemeuix since lowry wont be able to go.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i would go
ehlers little wheeler
perrault copp laine
connor roslo armia roslovic and connor had chemistry with the moose earlier and armia adds some puck retrievel defence aspect.
dano hendo lemeuix since lowry wont be able to go.

I could go for that. I think we need to try something else. With both Lowry and Fefe out Copp at C seems like the most logical thing.

We'll see how the status quo does tomorrow in Chicago.

I think Dano should stay in the lineup when Tanev comes back. Nothing against Tanev. He has done very well this year. But I think Dano is a more complete player.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
This will be a challenge for the Wheeler Line. Wonder how Quennville matches them.

I am scared for that, if I where the Hawks
i would just make sure Wheelers like takes on the Hawks top offence line as much as possible. And Little doesn't, because Little is who I would want against their top line. Or Copp. Depends on situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad