Rumor: Jets to play in Western Conference in 2012-13?

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I found this interesting:

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Talk within NHL of flipping Winnipeg and Columbus for this year only pending future realignment...

Non-playoff team for non-playoff team if CBJ and Jets switch conferences for this season

With all due respect to the genuinely fine folks of Winnipeg, bonus for everyone who travels with an Eastern Conference team.

Flip would allow Jets to play road games in own time zone

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Apparently since this Larry Brooks tweet, there's been quite a few follow up tweets saying this Blue Jackets / Jets swap is not in the works if there is a shortened season this year, that it is simply not true.

I don't really care what they do about it for this season, if there is one, but they have to work on some realignment plan for 2013-14.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The West while it is geographically the right move would mean some stiff competition.

I suppose it is inevitable.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't see it happening. They've got much bigger issues to settle first and by the time they're settled they'll have no time for this. Also, I'm fine with things as they are because earlier games are easier to watch and the SE is very weak overall IMO.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
^^ Well, at least that's the first sign that realignment is likely for 2013-14. Assuming that one source is correct. :D

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Hope that however realignment goes, it's more than just a CLB / WPG flip. Would be nice to be in the same division as MIN!

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
As a Jets fan in Ohio I'd prefer that the Jets would switch with Nashville so I have more opportunities to see them in Columbus. I think Nashville would benefit more in the Southeast anyways.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Makes sense for both teams. However, that would mean we'd likely miss the playoffs again considering we'd be playing against Nashville, Detroit and Chicago. Whether the Blues can be a consistent threat is yet to be seen.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Makes sense for both teams. However, that would mean we'd likely miss the playoffs again considering we'd be playing against Nashville, Detroit and Chicago. Whether the Blues can be a consistent threat is yet to be seen.
Jets are going to miss the playoffs regardless of conference. Assuming of course there's actually a bastardization of a short season that is.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
As a Jets fan in Ohio I'd prefer that the Jets would switch with Nashville so I have more opportunities to see them in Columbus. I think Nashville would benefit more in the Southeast anyways.

Does make more sense to flip Nashville especially considering it is further west than Columbus.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Does make more sense to flip Nashville especially considering it is further west than Columbus.

Nashville might develop some type of rivalry with Carolina, Tbay and Florida.

I think teams like the Preds would perfer to stay in the West so they get Detroit in their building at least twice during the year. Columbus would too, and Chicago is close by, so i'm thinking the BJ wouldn't mind staying in the West, if Detroit stays too.

Moving Nashville to the SE makes a lot of sense, in many ways.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

St. Louis is in my favourite to win the West this year. Very good team. Great deep group of defensive forwards works perfectly in that system.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

i think the columbus over nashville thing is because of the timzone. Nashville actually is in CST wheres columbus is EST is it not?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
i think the columbus over nashville thing is because of the timzone. Nashville actually is in CST wheres columbus is EST is it not?

I thought it was traditional geographic classification. Nashville is in the US South East (traditional rivalries in Carolina, Florida) and Columbus is in the Midwest (traditional rivals in Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota).

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I thought it was traditional geographic classification. Nashville is in the US South East (traditional rivalries in Carolina, Florida) and Columbus is in the Midwest (traditional rivals in Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota).

who knows?

Common sentiment I've heard over the spread of games due to location is regarding time zones (ex: columubst/detroit playing very few away games within their timezone- thus crappier tv times/lower viewing numbers/ and all that comes with that) Nashvile is CST like the other teams in that area.

That's also why it's been Columbus over Detroit- that seems to get propped up by columbus "needing" it more then detroit (more eye balls, more marquee matches against "local" teams ie: Pittsburgh) even though Detroit is the "good soldier" of the NHL.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
who knows?

Common sentiment I've heard over the spread of games due to location is regarding time zones (ex: columubst/detroit playing very few away games within their timezone- thus crappier tv times/lower viewing numbers/ and all that comes with that) Nashvile is CST like the other teams in that area.

That's also why it's been Columbus over Detroit- that seems to get propped up by columbus "needing" it more then detroit (more eye balls, more marquee matches against "local" teams ie: Pittsburgh) even though Detroit is the "good soldier" of the NHL.

I think the NHL loathes moving a original 6 team out of the Western Conference. Personally I think it's less impactful nowadays, especially since the Kings IMO are now a US heritage team, especially with their Cup win.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
troll alert:

IMO Larry Brooks is a hack and a lackey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad