Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
If I may ask from a fantasy hockey perspective, is a trade for Dustin Brown for Helle a good deal? I would be the one trading Brown.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If I may ask from a fantasy hockey perspective, is a trade for Dustin Brown for Helle a good deal? I would be the one trading Brown.

I don't know how your league scores goaltending, but Hellebuyck could have anywhere from 15 to 30+ wins this year.

Don'tknow what kind of hopes you have for Dustin Brown either, though.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
I have to imagine Toews will out score Brown. He'll be on every powerplay.

The thing is I badly need a goalie. My goalies right now are Raanta (injured) and Darling (hasn't been great). And everyone else in the league are extortionists when trying to trade for goalies.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think it all kind of evens out over time - sometimes goaltending screws the team out of a win, and sometimes it steals a win they don't deserve. Sometimes it's not the biggest factor. But I think it's been a pretty big factor so far this year...and was in that game on Saturday. One thing that limits shots from the danger zone is not giving up rebounds...and Hellebuyck wasn't giving up many of those. I think that was more of a factor than some down low defensive boxout revelation that Maurice has suddenly impressed upon the team.

IMO the biggest improvement in Helly's game this year is his rebound control. He's eating everything that hits him.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
The thing is I badly need a goalie. My goalies right now are Raanta (injured) and Darling (hasn't been great). And everyone else in the league are extortionists when trying to trade for goalies.

If you can get both Hellebuyck and Mason, then I think you'll be fine. But I can't tell you which one will play more than 40 games this year.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Guys is Helly taking the reigns?? He seems to be playing really well and you win with him in nets..

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Guys is Helly taking the reigns?? He seems to be playing really well and you win with him in nets..

If Mason continues as he has, yes.

There are probably better bets from a fantasy perspective, but Hellebuyck is certainly worth taking a flyer on if he's a bargain.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He is certainly playing better at this time. His play seems to be improved after working with a private coach over the summer. He will no doubt get the next start, but after that I'd guess the plan would still be to distribute the workload to some extent.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Buck Buck still undefeated. Absolutely amazing goalie. He doesn't give easy rebounds like Mason, so he fits our team, because our team can't clean the rebounds. I don't care how much money it takes to sign this guy next year, but we must do that if it's under 11 millions.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Buck Buck still undefeated. Absolutely amazing goalie. He doesn't give easy rebounds like Mason, so he fits our team, because our team can't clean the rebounds. I don't care how much money it takes to sign this guy next year, but we must do that if it's under 11 millions.

Haha, wow. I like Hellebuyck a lot and I never lost faith that he had the skills to be a good starting goaltender, but I hope you don't mean $11 million per year. That would result in us not being able to extend Laine.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 7.48.27 AM.png

Reactions: Duke749

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Haha, wow. I like Hellebuyck a lot and I never lost faith that he had the skills to be a good starting goaltender, but I hope you don't mean $11 million per year. That would result in us not being able to extend Laine.
Somehow I don't think Helly tops price as the highest paid goalie :laugh: But it sure would be nice if he earned a long term starters salary and we can solidify the net for the next few years.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Helly looks like a Completly different goalie this year. I was very low on him. I knew he wasn't a athletic Carey price type. He needed to get quicker. Not to make heart stopping saves. But to get in better positioning to swallow pucks.

I think he is more used to our horrific defensive play as well. Put any goalie in the NHL in net that hasn't been playing behind our A3 defense and they look like mason has

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I was a Helle detractor, but always maintained that I would be so happy if proven wrong. So happy to see that he has proven me wrong! (small sample, I know)

Something about his play this year seems to buoy my confidence in the team having a chance to win.

He swallows rebounds, seems quicker, just seems like the guy he was advertised to be I guess?

Side note....I have also really liked his interviews, so poised and confident in his thoughts on his and the team’s play.

Kudos to you Mr Helle!

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I think Helle is actually a Vulcan. His ears have that certain "look" and he never seems to crack a smile.

I believe Mr. Hellebuyck is half Vulcan - half Romulan; Can you identify which half's ethnical tendencies we've seen so far this season?

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Most big blocking goaltenders go through some growing pains in the NHL before (if) they solidify themselves as good NHL goaltenders. The shooters are simply too good for the goalies to be able to play a pure blocking style. It appears that Hellebuyck is changing his style slightly to be a bit more aggressive, and has changed his glove positioning slightly. He still looks similar to what he did in previous seasons (not last season, where he started losing his playing style as the season progressed), but he's playing it in a way he has to to stop NHL players.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Think he's pretty much our starter. I think the best medicine for him is to not put too much pressure on the guy and just let him play. Mason came into the season with pressure and was given a brand new unexpected surrounding and Hellebuyck came in with odd expectations.

Although, I wanted Halak instead of Mason.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Think he's pretty much our starter. I think the best medicine for him is to not put too much pressure on the guy and just let him play. Mason came into the season with pressure and was given a brand new unexpected surrounding and Hellebuyck came in with odd expectations.

Although, I wanted Halak instead of Mason.

Nominate you for the best username on HF :laugh:

Reactions: DudeWhereIsMakar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad