Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I hope he takes a page out of Scheifele’s book. He does deserve the pay day, but not to the extent where he handcuffs the team in retaining or signing talent.
I think Helly saw the business side of things with the team bringing Mason in.

I don’t foresee him giving a loyalty discount in his negotiation, nor should he have to. If he is our defacto starter we will have to pay accordingly, and the price is rising by the game.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I think Helly saw the business side of things with the team bringing Mason in.

I don’t foresee him giving a loyalty discount in his negotiation, nor should he have to. If he is our defacto starter we will have to pay accordingly, and the price is rising by the game.

I have no problem with Helle earning his big pay day, he has earned it. I just don't want to be Price'd out (the chances of that happening are low)

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
If I am his agent I want a number that starts with a 5 if I am Chevy I want a number that starts with a 4. I went through a couple goalie contracts signed recently during their RFA years with trying to buyout UFA years.

All stats are as of the date the player signed their contract.

Semyon Varlamov $5.900 AAV for 5 Years=$29.5 Million
9.18% of Salary Cap when signed
1 Year left of RFA Status when contract signed (Signed mid-season 2014)
Regular Season-189 GP .915 Save Percentage
Post Season-19 GP .915 Save Percentage
After extension signed during mid-season finished 2nd in Vezina Voting in 2014

Varlamov's agent hopefully got a raise himself after getting Varlamov this deal

Sergei Bobrovsky $7.425 Million AAV for 4 Years=$29.7 Million
10.17% of Salary Cap when signed
1 Year left of RFA Status when contract signed (Signed mid-season 2015)
Regular Season-208 GP .918 Save Percentage (excluding Flyers 125 GP .924 Save Percentage)
Post Season-13 GP .890 Save Percentage
1st in Vezina Voting 2013
8th in Vezina Voting 2014

Contract was based off of being a Vezina winner and his dominance with the Jackets, deservedly so.

Braden Holtby $6.100 AAV for 5 Years=$30.5 Million
8.36% of Salary Cap when signed
2 Years left of RFA Status when contract signed
Regular Season-178 GP .921 Save Percentage
Post Season-34 GP .936 Save Percentage
4th in Vezina Voting in 2015

Not much to add other than this probably closes the book on Helle getting anything starting with a 6.

Frederik Andersen $5.000 Million AAV for 5 Years=$25.0 Million
6.85% of Salary Cap when signed
1 Year left of RFA Status when contract signed
Regular Season-125 GP .918 Save Percentage
Post Season-28 GP .916 Save Percentage

Was more consistent in his 3 years of NHL experience than Hellebuyck but only had more than 50 starts once in the 3 years. He also had a good playoff track record at the time of signing.

2016 (still had 1 year of term left on last RFA deal)
Jake Allen $4.350 Million AAV for 4 Years=$17.4 Million
5.96% of Salary Cap when signed
0 Years left of RFA Status when contract signed (still had 1 year of term left on last RFA deal)
Regular Season-99 GP .915 Save Percentage
Post Season-10 GP .902 Save Percentage

Inked his deal coming off of a .920 Save Percentage in 47 GP, not a bad deal for the Blues at all if you take his last year of RFA plus the 4 years of UFA=3.950 AAV for 5 years=$19.75 Million.

Current Situation to Monitor
Robin Lehner
1 Year left of RFA Status
Regular Season-201 GP .916 Save Percentage
Post Season-2 GP .920 Save Percentage

Finally
Connor Hellebuyck
2 Years left of RFA Status
Regular Season 121 GP .916 Save Percentage
Post Season-0 GP

Couple of items that we have in our favor. One thing that helps is Lehner is really the only upcoming RFA goalie with a track record and he can't touch Hellebuyck this year, was going to include Mrazek but he is pretty much a backup this year. The other is Hellebuyck having 2 years of RFA Status left. We can see above that Holtby had 2 years of RFA control left when he signed his deal and the Caps got him at almost 2% less of the overall cap compared to what the Jackets gave Bob.

I am not going to predict the future but as of today I think Frederik Andersen is the most fair comparison. If the cap does go to 80 Million and Hellebuyck was given the same cap percentage it would amount to an AAV of $5.480. Given that Hellebuyck has 2 years left of RFA I think we get a little discount there, so lets go with...

$5.250 Million AAV for 5 Years=$26.25 Million

Fun project for a Monday night

Last edited:

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
If I am his agent I want a number that starts with a 5 if I am Chevy I want a number that starts with a 4. I went through a couple goalie contracts signed recently during their RFA years with trying to buyout UFA years.

Regular Season-208 GP .918 Save Percentage (excluding Flyers 125 GP .924 Save Percentage)

Contract was based off of being a Vezina winner and his dominance with the Jackets, deservedly so.

Not much to add other than this probably closes the book on Helle getting anything starting with a 6.

Was more consistent in his 3 years of NHL experience than Hellebuyck but only had more than 50 starts once in the 3 years. He also had a good playoff track record at the time of signing.

0 Years left of RFA Status when contract signed (still had 1 year of term left on last RFA deal)

Inked his deal coming off of a .920 Save Percentage in 47 GP, not a bad deal for the Blues at all if you take his last year of RFA plus the 4 years of UFA=3.950 AAV for 5 years=$19.75 Million.

Robin Lehner

Finally
Connor Hellebuyck
Post Season-0 GP

Couple of items that we have in our favor. One thing that helps is Lehner is really the only upcoming RFA goalie with a track record and he can't touch Hellebuyck this year, was going to include Mrazek but he is pretty much a backup this year. The other is Hellebuyck having 2 years of RFA Status left. We can see above that Holtby had 2 years of RFA control left when he signed his deal and the Caps got him at almost 2% less of the overall cap compared to what the Jackets gave Bob.

I am not going to predict the future but as of today I think Frederik Andersen is the most fair comparison. If the cap does go to 80 Million and Hellebuyck was given the same cap percentage it would amount to an AAV of $5.480. Given that Hellebuyck has 2 years left of RFA I think we get a little discount there, so lets go with...

Fantastic post, and I look forward looking more into it when I got a bit of time. Thanks for doing that work!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

All stats are as of the date the player signed their contract.

Robin Lehner

Finally
Connor Hellebuyck
Post Season-0 GP

Great post and thanks for doing that work.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Chevy gave Helly 5 plus million this off season , can we afford Mason at 4 plus million too ? That's pretty much 10 million for our goalies next season with a few other good players needed to be signed . Don't get me wrong , if Helly keeps playing like he is and we do a little damage in the playoffs , he is definitely worth 5 plus million .

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
If Chevy gave Helly 5 plus million this off season , can we afford Mason at 4 plus million too ? That's pretty much 10 million for our goalies next season with a few other good players needed to be signed . Don't get me wrong , if Helly keeps playing like he is and we do a little damage in the playoffs , he is definitely worth 5 plus million .
It just seals the fact that Mason won't be re-signed. Cap problems won't be next year, but the following one

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I guess for me it comes down to how much 2 years of RFA control vs. 1 year of RFA control matters, looks like it mattered a lot for Holtby vs. Bobrovsky. If you did the same thing to Hellebuyck vs. Andersen it would be $4.500 AAV (Cap increase to 80 Million included). His floor ($4.500 AAV) and his ceiling ($5.500 AAV), I feel like Chevy hits closer to the floor vs. ceiling in most of his contract situations Buff excluded, but we shall see in due time.

Last edited:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It's interesting that when looking at the goalies in the post above they all signed for 4-5 years. Is it because goalies are riskier than players? Would the Jets look to sign Helle for 7-8 years or would that be crazy?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Last year was was a blip in Hellebuyck's career. He's proven himself at every level to be a top goaltender, he's returned to form, and this is a goalie you want to lock up long-term in my opinion. I mean, we have to have a goalie 6 years from now, and if we have compete for Hellebuyck as an UFA it's going to cost a lot more than 5m. He'll have a Stanley Cup or two by then... ;)

Edit: so I'd like to see him signed for as long as possible - aim for 8 years if we can do it...

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Helly is really doing great.
The only clear goalie above him now IMO is Vasilevskiy.

The rest is up for debate Renne, Fleury, Bobrovski, Crawford, Gibson, Rask.

He should be in the running for Vezina this year. Probably not going to win it (YET) but should be top 3.

Along with Wheeler for Hart and Maurice for Coach of the Year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Helly is a stud. This guy moves so well in the crease for a big man, and he's square to pucks, tracks well, high iq, patient, and IS confident. etc. It took him one year to figure out league and shooters and I said he would adjust as last year was not the norm, with that comes confidence and voila!

Reactions: ps241 and Guerzy

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Helly is a stud. This guy moves so well in the crease for a big man, and he's square to pucks, tracks well, high iq, patient, and IS confident. etc. It took him one year to figure out league and shooters and I said he would adjust as last year was not the norm, with that comes confidence and voila!
Agreed. Helly has taken that step and has become that #1 starter we have been waiting for. I feel very confident in every situation with him in net. Man I love having good goaltending.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. Helly has taken that step and has become that #1 starter we have been waiting for. I feel very confident in every situation with him in net. Man I love having good goaltending.
.925 is closer to his numbers minus last year. That's a really great number for us :)

Reactions: ps241

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It is not luck when Hellebuyck has been this consistent and he has proven himself.
He evolved into the goalie that we all wanted and knew he should have been.

When he played like shit last year I was so disappointed and I was always the first one to call him out on his AHL goaltending and awful play.

Signing Mason lit a fire under his ass.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If the Jets are going to be spending over $5 million on Helle's new contract, the least they can do is replace Flaherty with the goaltending coach who worked with him over the summer.

Reactions: purdy44

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Quick back of the envelope math on Helle's current sv% vs 0.906 that I used for Pav. 25 less GA in 43 games. That's about 0.6 less goals against for Helle games this year compared to if we had Pav in those games. Seems like a really big number! Way to go Helle!

Just going by goal differential, ours would drop from +32 to +7 and on now we are on the bubble of a playoff spot.

I have been hearing it a lot by analysts lately, the biggest factor for the Jets success this year is Helle's performance. I can start to see it in numbers now.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I have been hearing it a lot by analysts lately, the biggest factor for the Jets success this year is Helle's performance. I can start to see it in numbers now.

Might be, but that would render those overrated Corsi stats useless, so I don't think that Helle the biggest factor but I agree that he has been a huge factor.

(Mostly) healthy d-core (read Myers & Kulikov) and overall better defensive play by the Jets has been the biggest factor for the Jets.

Overall the structure is usually there for the Jets and the headless chicken mode is more rare compared to last season.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If the Jets are going to be spending over $5 million on Helle's new contract, the least they can do is replace Flaherty with the goaltending coach who worked with him over the summer.

Helle's contract will be interesting. Goaltenders are voodoo in so many ways even in the contract world. I wonder if a shorter term 3 yrs might be the way to go in his case? It would keep the AAV down

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Helle's contract will be interesting. Goaltenders are voodoo in so many ways even in the contract world. I wonder if a shorter term 3 yrs might be the way to go in his case? It would keep the AAV down

and let him walk after those 3 years too

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
That's not what I said at all. Did Buff walk at the end of his deal? Did Little?

Did Frolik? Did Ladd?

I never said you said he would walk, but why not lock him up instead of giving him a contract which ends barely after his RFA years are up?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Did Frolik? Did Ladd?

I never said you said he would walk, but why not lock him up instead of giving him a contract which ends barely after his RFA years are up?

All I'm saying is that maybe they'll be a bit more cautious because goalies are Voodoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad