Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Yes, he needs a reset.He's taken a major nosedive, already down to a .917! Thats not good at all. I'd be transitioning Mason into the starter role at this point, if for no other reason than to give Helle some time to reset.

Agreed. It was understandable sticking with Bucky when he was on a roll, but it's time to let Mason show he's worth the starter money he's being paid. Of course, it's entirely possible no goalie can excel when the team in front of him turns into the Keystone Cops. :laugh:

buster-keaton-cops-gif.gif

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Very curious to see what his extension is going to be. He can bend us over the barrel and show us the 50 states if he wants and we have to say "please, sir, I want some more"

Reactions: Razzle71

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I feel like they're already paying him two salaries -- Mason's getting close to twice what Helle is to provide that extra motivation. o_O

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Let's not forget it is his first really dominant season. I would be surprised it Chevy offers him more than 4.5-4.75 a year after one season.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If Hellebuyck were to sign a long term contract for 6 years at $4.75 I would consider that to be a bargain. I firmly believe he will be the best goaltender to ever play for the city of Winnipeg. Better than "Goalie Bob", better than "The Bulin Wall", heck even better than Ron Loustel. Never heard of him, look him up. He holds an NHL record that will never be beaten.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Let's not forget it is his first really dominant season. I would be surprised it Chevy offers him more than 4.5-4.75 a year after one season.

He has arbitration rights. He probably gets awarded 4-4.5M. I also think that perhaps a 5 yr term might be just right. 5x5M

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
6 x 4.75m

There's very little chance Hellebuyck is stupid enough to sign a contract like that, IMO. I think your reasonable in terms of AAV, but I doubt Hellebuyck gives up 4 years of UFA time at a cap hit that would be in the 18-25 range among goalies when he is a potential Vezina candidate. If the Jets want term they will have to pay up much more than that, IMO. Otherwise Hellebuyck could probably be signed for 4.75m but only on a 1-3 year deal.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm thinking that Chevy may be a bit gun shy after what he dealt with on Pavelec's contract. Bucky had one good year, one very poor year, and so far has been superb this year. Is this the new Bucky, or just an uptick on a contract year? He instills more confidence in the net than other netminders we've had. I'm thinking he'll get at least more than Scott Darling is getting in Carolina. They won't go over 5 on him, so I'm guessing 4.4m for 4 seasons. That essentially gives him 2 UFA years, and enough time to prove that this is sustainable. He'll also be young enough to cash in again, if it is proved sustainable. He'll also be making more than Steve Mason will be, which will be important when Laine is eligible for an extension.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Scott Darling in Carolina is very bad example to compare yourself at this moment of time for the purposes of getting a gamble contract.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
this is a post I made early December:

perspective:

Goalie A
25yo
last season -- 73GP, 0.923
career -- 178GP, 0.921

Goalie B
25yo
last season -- 67GP, 0.925
career -- 149GP, 0.917

Goalie A is Braden Holtby 2015, signed a 5 year, $6.1M extension that offseason.
Goalie B is Connor Hellebuyck 2018, using pro-rated (for games played and shots faced) numbers for 17-18

pro-rating Hellebuyck's stats as of today leads to 67 GP, 0.926 and 149GP, 0.918, so not much has changed.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wonder what that says about bridging. On one hand, they could have had Helly for a lot less if they signed up long term before this season. On the other hand if he stunk up the joint than they had him signed long term.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Helly....my boy! Great problem to have hey fellas (and ladies)?!!!! Don't sweat the contract just enjoy we finally have a number one! Chevy will get it right and good on Helly for not reading HF jets this past summer :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->