Prospect Info: Jets select Johnathan Kovacevic #74 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Thanks Hammer! Great vids.

Yes. Thanks a ton. I watched the shift-by-shift and it was interesting. He played a very simple and conservative game. More chip-outs than I expected and next to no rushes. Definitely not aggressive with the puck. Very willing to hit. I'm curious to see more.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
Yes. Thanks a ton. I watched the shift-by-shift and it was interesting. He played a very simple and conservative game. More chip-outs than I expected and next to no rushes. Definitely not aggressive with the puck. Very willing to hit. I'm curious to see more.

Just watched the video and he does play a simple game but he is very efficient and you rarely see him make mistakes or get caught out of position. His skating and puck skills look more than adequate and he seems to be able to read the play very well when he is defending. He has the look of a player that could be a very nice complimentary piece at the next level.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Merrimack's horrible season came to an end last night. (As an aside, theyblost 5-1 and Preds' Dante Fabbro had 5 points.)

Kovacevic had a pretty good year on a horrible team. Will we see him on an AHL ATO soon?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Merrimack's horrible season came to an end last night. (As an aside, theyblost 5-1 and Preds' Dante Fabbro had 5 points.)

Kovacevic had a pretty good year on a horrible team. Will we see him on an AHL ATO soon?

Kovy is the 2nd leading scorer on a horrible team........and you are mentioning Fabbro who was the guy I desperately wanted us to trade up to get if we were trading up. He was on my list of Kyle Connor fallers please.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Couldn't they just sign him to an ELC?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
He would not leave college for a A.T.O.

We would have to sign him to an 2 year E.L.C. ( because he turns 22 this year) that starts in 2019-20. This will give him 2 yearly signing bonus of 92.5 k and guaranteed 70k in the A.H.L. for the next 2 years.

If we sign him to a N.H.L. contract that includes the current season this year he would be eligible for Seattle expansion draft.

I believe he can play up to 25 games this year on the Moose on a Amateur Try out contract after signing his ELC with the Jets starting next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
He would not leave college for a A.T.O.

We would have to sign him to an 2 year E.L.C. ( because he turns 22 this year) that starts in 2019-20. This will give him 2 yearly signing bonus of 92.5 k and guaranteed 70k in the A.H.L. for the next 2 years.

If we sign him to a N.H.L. contract that includes the current season this year he would be eligible for Seattle expansion draft.

I believe he can play up to 25 games this year on the Moose on a Amateur Try out contract after signing his ELC with the Jets starting next year.

I think this is what I was envisioning...an ELC agreed that kicked in on July 1, with the ATO for the balance of the Moose season. (I'm not sure he'd be any more than a black ace....they seem to have a bunch of defensemen.)

Reactions: surixon

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Hey, Habs fan dropping by. Congrats on the win last night.

Just wondering if any of you knew why Kovacevic was let go? I see you have 8 D on your roster. Was it just a numbers thing? Was management trying to sneak him through?

Honestly, I'm surprised you couldn't get something for him.

He's been a rock in Montreal so far. He's playing on the 2nd pairing with another rookie, Jordan Harris, and they're just really playing well together. I know it's only been 9 games, but we're really excited by him to be a long-term #4-#6 guy. He seems very smart with the puck. Makes good passes. Throws the body a bit too. His shot is weak, but at least he throws it at net instead losing it at the blueline.

Any insight would be cool, thanks!

Reactions: hn777

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Just wondering if any of you knew why Kovacevic was let go? I see you have 8 D on your roster. Was it just a numbers thing? Was management trying to sneak him through?

He's been a rock in Montreal so far. He's playing on the 2nd pairing with another rookie, Jordan Harris, and they're just really playing well together. I know it's only been 9 games, but we're really excited by him to be a long-term #4-#6 guy. He seems very smart with the puck. Makes good passes. Throws the body a bit too. His shot is weak, but at least he throws it at net instead losing it at the blueline.

No idea. They signed Kyle Capobianco who's a LD and sitting in the PB where he belongs, but all of our NHL ready prospects are lefties, so they could have just waived him and kept Kovacevic.

Maybe they thought the 3 year deal would make teams hesitant, or maybe they had an agreement if he didnt make the starting roster they would waive him and let a team have the opportunity to claim him.

We're all as puzzled as you. Strange asset management. Glad he's having success, was a beast on the Moose.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

He wouldn't have got playing time with the Jets, with Pionk, De Melo and Schmidt as the starting RD. The Jets moved Heinola to RD in preseason to push Kovacevic even farther down the depth chart. The only real spot that was available was a battle between Samberg and Stanley for 3rd pairing LD, and that's still a battle. The Jets could have waived Capbobianco to keep Kovacevic up as the #8 d man, I think most of us expected that as a move, but Kovacevic would likely just be sitting. I think the organization gave him a chance to play in the NHL, and so far he's made good on it. When Matheson and Edmunson come back for the Habs he's probably a #6 or #7, depends on whether Wideman stays in the lineup for the PP. Nice to see him playing in the NHL, as an overaged draft pick he's worked for it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I have always been a fan of his but we have DeMelo who plays the role he would play on our team. There just wasn't a spot for him in the starting 6. I am happy he is making the most of his opportunity with your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad