Proposal: Jets/Sabres

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Would Andrew Copp be available? And what would it cost? Interesting young player. Could he be part of taking on Mason’s contract?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
ROR's analytics suggest that he is much more than Little, who is a two-way 2C in his own right. He performed very well in terms of shot metrics with very little help in Buffalo, especially compared to his teammates. Combined with his long-term contract, he carries heaps of value. Vesalainen and Little are not close to ROR, even if both are good in their own right. Also, Little has a NMC.

It's a shame ROR makes too much for us to acquire him this summer.

Agreed overall that ROR is better without doubt. I see Little as a good 2C and ROR as a low end 1C (depending on what you value most, could rate him higher). It would be very interesting to see how ROR would do on the Jets. Without question Littles NMC would be a problem, highly doubt he would waive to leave a contender to go to the Sabres. The whole idea or point of bringing up Littles name to begin with is just to show people there is no chance the Jets Trade a basket full of good prospects for ROR.....the point was to show they would need to take contracts back as well.....not actually advocating trading Little & Ehlers.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Agreed overall that ROR is better without doubt. I see Little as a good 2C and ROR as a low end 1C (depending on what you value most, could rate him higher). It would be very interesting to see how ROR would do on the Jets. Without question Littles NMC would be a problem, highly doubt he would waive to leave a contender to go to the Sabres. The whole idea or point of bringing up Littles name to begin with is just to show people there is no chance the Jets Trade a basket full of good prospects for ROR.....the point was to show they would need to take contracts back as well.....not actually advocating trading Little & Ehlers.
Good points all around. I must admit, though; I'm very high on ROR.

Trading any (or, one at most) of our top 5 prospects would be very short-sighted. Every contending team needs to have the benefit of vastly underpaid players contributing, whether that means having excellent long-term deals or a bunch of ELCs. A Vesalainen or a Samberg can 'save' a couple of millions on his own in a matter of years.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Good points all around. I must admit, though; I'm very high on ROR.

Trading any (or, one at most) of our top 5 prospects would be very short-sighted. Every contending team needs to have the benefit of vastly underpaid players contributing, whether that means having excellent long-term deals or a bunch of ELCs. A Vesalainen or a Samberg can 'save' a couple of millions on his own in a matter of years.

Agreed

I would love to have ROR I like him as a player......just no chance we can fit his cap into our team without trading away another big contract to the Sabres or a 3rd party. It will be interesting to see if we can even resign Wheeler with our current roster and fit his new cap hit (year away) with our current roster & their new contracts. We know not everyone on our roster today will be here in two years due to cap reasons.....even without adding ROR. If we add ROR likely means one of Wheeler or Little or Buff also needs to go along with the others who will be gone. Cap is becoming a major factor with all our talent developing and needing raises......good & bad problem to have. Fun summer ahead

Reactions: Dogewow and Maukkis

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
I love reading comments like this. Good for a laugh.

A poster that very likely has no idea what said player is like in real life commenting on their character and who they are as an individual.

It’s funny you mention “character profile” in regards to player selection, yet had Evander Kane (a player with much more evidence in causing internal issues) on your roster for quite some time.

We inherited him from ATL, you guys willingly traded for him once he was outed for being a dirtbag. Buffalo is becoming the Oakland Raiders of the NHL by taking slime like Kane and Ryan "Double Double" O'Reilly. Don't you wonder why their young players don't develop like the rest of the league?

Reactions: Snowman

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
We inherited him from ATL, you guys willingly traded for him once he was outed for being a dirtbag. Buffalo is becoming the Oakland Raiders of the NHL by taking slime like Kane and Ryan "Double Double" O'Reilly. Don't you wonder why their young players don't develop like the rest of the league?
pretty sure the Sabres young players are fine...and i'm pretty sure our top producing forwards aren't in charge of holding up one of the worst bottom 6 and defensive cores in the league. O'Reily isn't a problem at all and neither was Kane...in fact how can anyone argue against these guys when they are/were working harder on the ice than any other Sabre? Kane didn't hold back SJ either and had a pretty good playoff run with them. I'd blame the management a lot more when guys that are terrible like Beaulieu get to play more than guys like Antipin that made the Sabres defense respectable when he was playing but instead they put together terrible options and had Sam waste away early in the season stuck on the 3rd line with nobody.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

Yep, and the Jets held on to him for about 3.5 years before trading him. Surely an organization like True North should have recognized way before that point that Kane didn't "fit the character profile True North", correct?

I'd say it's pretty naive to assume that the lack of player development can be attributed towards the alleged character flaws of one or two players. This is especially the case when (at least in O'Reilly's case) no one here knows the guy personally, there's no evidence of anyone disliking the guy, or evidence of how him and his teammates interact during a practice or game. Regardless, I'd say player development is predominantly based on the prospect's own skill, work ethic and attitude, in addition to how the organization handles the development of said player.

The Sabres had serious problems in terms of actual skill, and player fit on the roster, outside of the alleged character issues. Our most important young players (Eichel, Mittlestadt, and Reinhart) appear to be developing just fine, anyway.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
It’s funny you mention “character profile” in regards to player selection, yet had Evander Kane (a player with much more evidence in causing internal issues) on your roster for quite some time.
... A player that came with the franchise when TN bought the team. Then we suckered the Sabres into taking him because of his poor character. True North places a very high value on a player's character and Kane would never have been a draft target for TN.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I'm a Jets fan but to be honest we prob only traded Kane when we did because our hand was forced due to Buff clowning Kane in the wet track suite incident:D
Kane would not be welcomed in the room after that finally blew up IMO

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
... A player that came with the franchise when TN bought the team. Then we suckered the Sabres into taking him because of his poor character. True North places a very high value on a player's character and Kane would never have been a draft target for TN.

And yet TN hung onto him for quite sometime despite knowing (or should have known) he would have been a “problem individual”.

Regardless, Kane is clearly a valued player around the league based on the interest and the fact that he signed a pretty substantial deal with the Sharks. The idea that the Jets “tricked the Sabres” needs to die, considering he’s clearly a desired player.

Anyway, this isn’t even about Kane (done arguing abou him), it’s about sparing us of this “we have superior character, your players are beneath us” crap logic.

O’Reilly would make the Jets a better team and even more of a favorite to win the cup. Period.

Him making a dumb decision at a Tim Hortons years ago or having a contract dispute doesn’t make him unworthy of the Jets. To assert otherwise is pretty elitist, and nothing short of ignorant. The Sabres problems extend well, WELL beyond some alleged character issue with O’Reilly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->