Injury Report: Jets OT Mekhi Becton suffers avulsion fracture in right knee, likely out for season

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
When you're overweight (apparently he came to camp at 400 lbs) and don't have a strong work ethic, you're going to be injury-prone. Becton is Exhibit A here. His rookie year was so promising but the dude just doesn't love football enough. I feel sorry for him but he has to fix it himself.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When you're overweight (apparently he came to camp at 400 lbs) and don't have a strong work ethic, you're going to be injury-prone. Becton is Exhibit A here. His rookie year was so promising but the dude just doesn't love football enough. I feel sorry for him but he has to fix it himself.
When you are that big you do get to a point where you are too heavy. Thus like Zion in the nba he has to focus hard on his nutrition. Has to be on point with that.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Yeah 400 pounds ain’t gonna cut it, his off season training I was hoping he would get back on a strict program. That’s 2 years in a row his season was cut short, what a shame as he was a good offensive linemen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah 400 pounds ain’t gonna cut it, his off season training I was hoping he would get back on a strict program. That’s 2 years in a row his season was cut short, what a shame as he was a good offensive linemen.
Also now look at it from a contract POV. 2 injury shortened seasons as a pro. Next year is key because after next season the jets have to decide whether to pick up his 5th year option or not. If he misses a few games next season more likely than not he’s not getting it picked up. If he plays well in year 4 he would get tagged for year 5.

LT is a premium position after QB. Up with DE and elite WR in terms of salary. Costing himself money if he doesn’t get his weight under control. He needs to hire a personal chef and nutritionist.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Could a team hire personal chef and nutritionist for a player? In a way it could be wise both for the player and the team. but could cost several thousand dollars, so wondering if that would be against the salary cap rules or something.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Could a team hire personal chef and nutritionist for a player? In a way it could be wise both for the player and the team. but could cost several thousand dollars, so wondering if that would be against the salary cap rules or something.
His contract is $18.4 mill fully guaranteed over 4 years. I think he can afford to pay tens of thousands or a couple hundred K or whatever for a personal chef. Again premium position that pays the elite guys over $20 mill a season. Worth the investment if he wants a future in the sport and make over $100 mill in his career.

Nutritionist can be with the team as they have them.

During the season he can eat breakfast and lunch at the team facility. Even dinner just prep him a take home container to eat.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Big man (even if he cuts weight) don't survive long in pro sports long when they have knee issues.

Shame. Fandoms aside Becton looked to be a special talent at o-line

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Big man (even if he cuts weight) don't survive long in pro sports long when they have knee issues.

Shame. Fandoms aside Becton looked to be a special talent at o-line
He can’t afford anymore knee injuries if he’s going to have a sustained career into age 30. Thus really have to get his nutrition and conditioning under control. This should be a massive wake up call for him. Hire the personal shed in the off season at least. In season he can get his meals from the team facility and they can cater a plan for him. Send him home with containers for what he should eat after leaving the facility in the afternoon.

Most OL even when they retire and managed to lose the excess weight don’t do too much high impact exercises. Just too much wear and tear on their knees. Joe Thomas swam to get in his cardio to drop the 60 plus pounds from 310 to 250 when he retired.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If he was over 400lbs going into camp what is he going to be like after knee surgery?

People with poor work ethic often don't fair well in rehab after knee surgery.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he was over 400lbs going into camp what is he going to be like after knee surgery?

People with poor work ethic often don't fair well in rehab after knee surgery.
I was mistaken earlier in that i thought this year was year 2. It’s year 3 for him meaning that’s with back to back injury riddled seasons the Jets won’t be picking up his 5th year option.

Will see what he’s made up mentally during his recovery. Either this stirs him up to take his career seriously or he washes out after his rookie deal is up. Maybe at best bounces from team to team due to his draft stock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad