OT: Jets Lounge: "Winnipeg Fire Department Rocks!" - rguy56

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Ah, the guilty pleasure...I understand. My wife watches it and I sometimes catch bits and pieces and I've probably even seen a whole episode here and there. But I don't have to like it! :laugh:

BTW: The Grinder - only one season as it was cancelled by Fox for being too smart or too funny or something. Rob Lowe and Fred Savage are just awesome together.

agreed on the grinder. wouldn't have been a show that could/should last long term but it sure would've been nice to get a few more seasons out of it.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Whats the Bridge about?

Murder investigation thriller set amidst drug and human trafficking around El Paso and Juarez. Some very interesting characters, especially Franka Potente's in season 2. Definitely worth your time. I would love to see the Scandinavian series Bron on which it's based.

The Scandinavian series is the one I've seen. It's on netflix. Same deal - murder investigation thriller that unfolds over the whole season. Takes place in Sweden and Denmark. Very interesting main characters.

I'd heard the english adaptation wasn't as good. But I do like Franka Potente, so maybe I'll check it out.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I understand this is very much off topic and not related to the Jets but being someone who was born in the early 80's and growing up listening to Punk Rock I was curious if any of you on here used to frequent places like The Albert, Collective, Le Rendevous, Ozzies/The Zoo or if your old enough Wellington's? Just read yesterday that the first live punk band I ever saw back in 96 is playing the Windsor September 28th, that being SNFU :yo:

I remember the last few Jets game's I have attended I heard Bad Religion playing over the speakers, this was the band that initially got me into Punk Rock back when I was 10, I would pop on No Control while playing Cobra Triangle and Blades of Steel on my older cousins NES.

Sure, was at the Albert (live music) and Wellingtons (techno) many times over the years. The Albert used to have 65 cent draft night on Thursdays, which got pretty decadent, but that was probably a little before your time. Punk wasn't really my thing, but I had some friends who were into it, so I saw a few shows. Got elbowed in the mosh pit once pretty good.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Sure, was at the Albert (live music) and Wellingtons (techno) many times over the years. The Albert used to have 65 cent draft night on Thursdays, which got pretty decadent, but that was probably a little before your time. Punk wasn't really my thing, but I had some friends who were into it, so I saw a few shows. Got elbowed in the mosh pit once pretty good.

Back in my day, we would go pubbing (as we called it) at the Albert to watch rock bands. There was no discussion of musical genres, nor did we care what was coming in our glasses when we ordered draft. And you watched the band, and you talked to your friends (or at least tried to, given the volume). Nobody sat there texting or taking selfies or watching their Game Center app on their bloody phone. Hell, if you needed to call someone you better have a quarter for the phone in the hall.

And get off my lawn! :D

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I understand this is very much off topic and not related to the Jets but being someone who was born in the early 80's and growing up listening to Punk Rock I was curious if any of you on here used to frequent places like The Albert, Collective, Le Rendevous, Ozzies/The Zoo or if your old enough Wellington's? Just read yesterday that the first live punk band I ever saw back in 96 is playing the Windsor September 28th, that being SNFU :yo:

I remember the last few Jets game's I have attended I heard Bad Religion playing over the speakers, this was the band that initially got me into Punk Rock back when I was 10, I would pop on No Control while playing Cobra Triangle and Blades of Steel on my older cousins NES.

Me and my mates used to go there after exams when I was at Red River. We'd get burgers from the place down the road, and drink beers there, listening to the juke box. Every so often this weird song...that no one picked...would come on that sounded like Nazi war chants. It was so weird.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Me and my mates used to go there after exams when I was at Red River. We'd get burgers from the place down the road, and drink beers there, listening to the juke box. Every so often this weird song...that no one picked...would come on that sounded like Nazi war chants. It was so weird.

Could this be the song you heard?

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

You can't go off topic in the OT lounge. Try again.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

the albert on thursdays for cheap draft night.
wellingtons for the non-rave nights.
Le rendezvous for the odd show, like sloan.
Ozzies and (barf) the Zoo (blew my hearing out).
Junkyard.
Alternative Cabaret.
saw them all and played at a few of them.

my picture (2, actually) are on the wall of Music Traders

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think I was 15 when I saw the Circle Jerks at Wellington's. I played pool with DOA there too after they had a show at Pantages I think. Saw lots of punk bands on Friday nights there. Didn't go to the Royal Albert as much until I was a bit older - I don't think their ID policy was quite as lax. When there wasn't anything going on or we couldn't get in to a bar downtown, my buddy and I would buy a 12 of Old Stock at a vendor down there and drink it in a back lane...or on that ratty couch behind the Blue Note on Main.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think I was 15 when I saw the Circle Jerks at Wellington's. I played pool with DOA there too after they had a show at Pantages I think. Saw lots of punk bands on Friday nights there. Didn't go to the Royal Albert as much until I was a bit older - I don't think their ID policy was quite as lax. When there wasn't anything going on or we couldn't get in to a bar downtown, my buddy and I would buy a 12 of Old Stock at a vendor down there and drink it in a back lane...or on that ratty couch behind the Blue Note on Main.

the back entrance to the Blue Note was something special. the tree growing out of the pavement.
sigh....

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
You're not fun. I like YWG better, he walked into the OT Laine thread and didn't say a thing.

I think the Winnipeg's rye bread scene is very important to Laine's adjustment to Winnipeg and therefore his performance so I wouldn't call it OT at all! :D

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I think the Winnipeg's rye bread scene is very important to Laine's adjustment to Winnipeg and therefore his performance so I wouldn't call it OT at all! :D

True. I just didn't comprehend the rye bread scene we have here in Winnipeg. I guess I have been spoiled all my life with Kub and Natural Bakery.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
You're not fun. I like YWG better, he walked into the OT Laine thread and didn't say a thing.

giphy.gif

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Back in my day, we would go pubbing (as we called it) at the Albert to watch rock bands. There was no discussion of musical genres, nor did we care what was coming in our glasses when we ordered draft. And you watched the band, and you talked to your friends (or at least tried to, given the volume). Nobody sat there texting or taking selfies or watching their Game Center app on their bloody phone. Hell, if you needed to call someone you better have a quarter for the phone in the hall.

And get off my lawn! :D

Darn, I remember it being a dime :shakehead

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Wow. A dime? You must be OLD.

I remember 25 cents, and I remember feeling guilty about withholding tips in favour of more beer.

I certainly remember pay phones being a dime, though.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
No..it definitely wasn't. I can't even describe it. It was the oddest thing though. It would just start up randomly, and no one would have a god damn clue as to why it would happen. It was so weird.

that's interesting, because part of the, erm, "charm" of thursdays at the albert was the group of neo nazis that would be in the back corner (around the bar after you walked in)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
When I read a few weeks back that weather "expert" Dave Phillips and environment Canada were predicting a hot dry summer for us, I knew we were in trouble... :shakehead

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Anyone know why a really low flying helicopter made about 15 passes around St Norbert this morning at 5:30am? Thought I was in a war zone.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Anyone know why a really low flying helicopter made about 15 passes around St Norbert this morning at 5:30am? Thought I was in a war zone.

y'know I've seen this about 3 times now this spring/summer. Was out as my son's soccer game a month back and a copter was buzzing the field - like maybe less than a hundred feet up...went back and forth four or five times. No idea what he was doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->