OT: Jets Lounge: "Winnipeg Fire Department Rocks!" - rguy56

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Does the topic title come with utilities included?

Utilities are included - cable/phone, etc are extra.

No free NHL.tv for you!

soup-nazi.png

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I see Bourbon is suffering the same ill fate that Scotch is working its way through: Age statements are rapidly disappearing from the products. Booo.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I see Bourbon is suffering the same ill fate that Scotch is working its way through: Age statements are rapidly disappearing from the products. Booo.

I'd prefer to suffer through some shortages, but the makers don't appear to want to pursue that route, alas. :(

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'd prefer to suffer through some shortages, but the makers don't appear to want to pursue that route, alas. :(

Yeah, that'd be my preference too. I have a decent stockpile of Scotch built up but eventually it will run out. I'm hoping this madness has passed by then.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Well, I picked up the new ride tonight. Got a good (but not great) deal on a 2012 Nissan Versa with only 1,831 kilometres. That's correct; a 4 year old car with less than 2K on the odo! It's actually less than 3 years old as it was only put into service April 30 2013, but Nissan sold the 2012 model year for more than two years waiting for the debut of the next gen Versa Note. It was originally purchased in Hull, transfered into Ontario, and then little less than a year ago put into auction as an estate sale. I guess some old person bought it, then passed on before using it much.

It was sold as a new car, because it has less than 2,000 kilometres on it. Original and power train warranty are still in effect, and as it's been sold as new, I have the option of extending the powertrain warranty until April 30 2023, and can extend the bumper-to-bumper for another three years!

It's a Versa SL hatchback with a manual transmission, and power everything else. The only option it doesn't have that I wanted is Bluetooth, which I miss more than I thought I would.

It's a beautiful shade of metallic blue (Daytona Blue, according to the VIN code) and I'll post a pic tomorrow.

What I've noticed so far is how quiet it is, and how compliant the ride is, and how awful electric power steering compares to the hydraulic version. It's like steering any of my cars from the 50's and 60's that had power steering that required only your index finger to turn.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Congrats DM! Sounds like a great deal.

Electric power steering can be good - they put it in the RX8 that I drive, and it's quite responsive and not at all soft and mushy.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Well, I picked up the new ride tonight. Got a good (but not great) deal on a 2012 Nissan Versa with only 1,831 kilometres. That's correct; a 4 year old car with less than 2K on the odo! It's actually less than 3 years old as it was only put into service April 30 2013, but Nissan sold the 2012 model year for more than two years waiting for the debut of the next gen Versa Note. It was originally purchased in Hull, transfered into Ontario, and then little less than a year ago put into auction as an estate sale. I guess some old person bought it, then passed on before using it much.

It was sold as a new car, because it has less than 2,000 kilometres on it. Original and power train warranty are still in effect, and as it's been sold as new, I have the option of extending the powertrain warranty until April 30 2023, and can extend the bumper-to-bumper for another three years!

It's a Versa SL hatchback with a manual transmission, and power everything else. The only option it doesn't have that I wanted is Bluetooth, which I miss more than I thought I would.

It's a beautiful shade of metallic blue (Daytona Blue, according to the VIN code) and I'll post a pic tomorrow.

What I've noticed so far is how quiet it is, and how compliant the ride is, and how awful electric power steering compares to the hydraulic version. It's like steering any of my cars from the 50's and 60's that had power steering that required only your index finger to turn.

Have you considered replacing the stereo with after market to get your bluetooth?
Shouldn't cost more than a couple bills depending on your taste.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Have you considered replacing the stereo with after market to get your bluetooth?
Shouldn't cost more than a couple bills depending on your taste.

I'm pretty sure that Versa has an AUX input as well - I've hooked up a Bluetooth receiver to the crappy deck in our truck to get Bluetooth when in AUX mode. No hands free calling, but I do get decent sounding music out of it (well, better than the crappy AM/FM ;))

You can pick these things up for around $20, DM.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hm. An aux Bluetooth? Tell me more, Gin.

Like one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=fb783afd54b0486fed8669214a0ceff4en02

The one I picked up was about $15 cheaper last year at Tiger Direct, but I can't find a listing for it. Ton's of 'em on eBay as well. I hooked up the USB connection to a 12V accessory socket I wired under the dash of the car so it was out of the way, but you could just plug it into the lighter/accessory socket as well.

Works great for streaming music to my piece of crap radio when I switch to AUX mode. :D

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Like one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=fb783afd54b0486fed8669214a0ceff4en02

The one I picked up was about $15 cheaper last year at Tiger Direct, but I can't find a listing for it. Ton's of 'em on eBay as well. I hooked up the USB connection to a 12V accessory socket I wired under the dash of the car so it was out of the way, but you could just plug it into the lighter/accessory socket as well.

Works great for streaming music to my piece of crap radio when I switch to AUX mode. :D

Thanks - I'll have to look into this.

I know electric steering isn't always bad (Mrs Monty's Bimmer for example) but Nissan's is bad apparently, throughout the line-up. Yet I under stand that Infiniti's steering is good. Go figure.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Congrats Darth :handclap:

So I just finished watching "Steve Jobs".I thought the movie was very well done and I liked the acting. What an interesting story. I have enjoyed a few of the top 2015 pictures this year that were up for the awards.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013

Bourbon and Scotch.

What is this country coming to?

This is the land of rye, and until we unite under that banner, the Jets are doomed to fail. Mark my words!

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Thanks - I'll have to look into this.

I know electric steering isn't always bad (Mrs Monty's Bimmer for example) but Nissan's is bad apparently, throughout the line-up. Yet I under stand that Infiniti's steering is good. Go figure.

Volkswagens is the worst. When it's cold there's zero assist randomly. Armstrong steering. And they won't do anything about it because there's no codes.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Volkswagens is the worst. When it's cold there's zero assist randomly. Armstrong steering. And they won't do anything about it because there's no codes.

Hey, hey slow down mister. You don't talk about our cars that way, all right? I'm not gonna **** on your weird stuff coming out of trees either, are we clear?

(actually a big fan of maple syrup. <3)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

as i (think) i stated before, i'm hearing that aging is now faux aging i.e. heat aging for the initial period so that it has "12 year" flavour.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Bourbon and Scotch.

What is this country coming to?

This is the land of rye, and until we unite under that banner, the Jets are doomed to fail. Mark my words!

Rye hasn't done itself any favours in past. Much of the Canadian Rye wasn't really even all that much Rye, rather corn masquerading as rye. It is changing for the better but isn't there yet.

Also grade 10 still lingers in the subconscious and that is surprisingly difficult to overcome. Oh Canadian Club, what you did to me...

as i (think) i stated before, i'm hearing that aging is now faux aging i.e. heat aging for the initial period so that it has "12 year" flavour.

Yes, many changes in the bourbon industry to speed along the "flavouring", none of them good. Age statements dropping like flies, fancy but meaningless marketing words take their place. "Processes" being invented to get a flavour infused into the product to mimic what aging did previously but now results in an inferior product at the same cost as previously. Not good.

The rum industry is going through the same process though they've not been encumbered or restricted by age statements previously except voluntarily. Though there were many rums that specifically stated an age, far too many of these are now "approximations". Flor de Cana is an excellent example - label used to state Flor de Cana 7 years now states Flor de Cana 7. Worse the rum industry has been adding glycerin, sugar and vanilla to make it's products taste "smoother". Not more like rum, but more accessible to more people. Again, in and of itself not so bad, but when you have a product that used to be a rum that was aged for 21 years and was just rum from a cask = good. Now you have a rum that has been aged for some amount of time (no one can tell you for sure anymore), presumably in a cask and has added sugar, vanilla and glycerin, well, you're no longer really drinking rum.

Booze has always been about the marketing but the marketing used to be about delivering a quality product. Now it's about delivering a higher profit margin for a marginal product. Big boo on that. For many though it is irrelevant because they drink booze to get drunk or simply just enjoy mixed drinks. I do both of those on occasion and am perfectly happy with an inexpensive mixer. But most of the time I drink for the flavor and want a high quality product, yet so many of those products are now being compromised. It's not a good thing.

And yes, the Winnipeg Fire Department does indeed rock.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
No it doesn't. I come from family of cops and I can assure you that firemen do NOT rock.

They are too busy saving cats from trees to be awesome.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
Hey, hey slow down mister. You don't talk about our cars that way, all right? I'm not gonna **** on your weird stuff coming out of trees either, are we clear?

(actually a big fan of maple syrup. <3)

Reminds me of the car dealership add in some newspaper, that said "Buy low emission VW-vehicle and get award winning Nokian Tyres for free" :sarcasm:

Nokian Tyres were accused of manipulating test results :laugh:

Gotta love the good ol' rally english! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->