OT: Jets Lounge: Rogue Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Unless the reliability with sports streaming has improved substantially, I'm keeping my cable for sports. Trying to watch sports with dropped frames, stuttering, buffering and the stream outright crashing is the worst.

I agree. I would probably freak out if I couldn't watch three to four different NFL games in an afternoon when the season kicks off.

That being said I do know a few households that are Netflix/online only but they are in the minority. the majority has some kind of a cable package linked with a streaming option like Netflix or cable package plus apple tv or android box.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Luddites! :laugh: ;)

The tech I use / subscriptions we commit to have the WAF going for it. The occasional problem far outweighs the costs on the other side. I've saved over $5k over the last couple of years - post tax, that's a hefty amount.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

The tech I use / subscriptions we commit to have the WAF going for it. The occasional problem far outweighs the costs on the other side. I've saved over $5k over the last couple of years - post tax, that's a hefty amount.

Hey, Hey, Hey. No Hipster is going to call me a Luddite!!! :laugh: ( I jest in good fun).

My primary barrier that limits my use of more interesting technology is location. But I also have no need or desire to look for another medium as due to the location of living/work aka living in the damn boonies... I obtain a substantial wage in comparison to my cost of living which allows me to satisfy my lust for sports entertainment and other programing via Shaw without having to worry about the cost and even the costs of good HD program is under 80$ a month after some wheeling and dealing with customer service.

Your original cost seem quite outrageous if your programming was over 5k for two years. Or are you including other technology fees in your rough estimate of savings?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Fine, I admit I'm an old guy and I'm comfortable with the old fashioned way of doing things. Am I being ripped off? Sure. I just don't want to deal with technology I don't understand and have to troubleshoot when problems occur. TV is the most important thing in my life. Pathetic, but true. When things break down, I want to be able to call up MTS tech support and have them fix the problem. In a few days, Maybe. :rant:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Unless the reliability with sports streaming has improved substantially, I'm keeping my cable for sports. Trying to watch sports with dropped frames, stuttering, buffering and the stream outright crashing is the worst.

I agree, I'm one of the dwindling few who just want TV to work all the time and in HD. Especially sports. Besides, my wife would NOT like having to do anything even close to technology related in order to watch TV.

Both of these comments. I've tried other things for watching , like KODI, and I just don't like the quality I get most times and just the man-hours it takes sometimes to get a good stream to watch. My brother-in-law cut the cord to save on cable costs, and yes, he is saving a pile, but when I was over at his place and we were watching the playoffs... it was literately crap on his big screen. The best feed we could find look like it was 100p and it was 1965. Couldn't see the puck at all and it was laggy. So the whole time we are watching he's keeps saying. " Yeah but look how much money I'm saving " So what.. If you can't enjoy what you watch.

The only channels I even watch anymore are in HD. Sorry, but I grew up thru the whole gamut of coming from black + white on a 19" TV to HD on a 55" OLED TV. There ain't no way I'm giving that up just to save some cable costs. If it's not HD I'm not watching it.

And as far as the better half.. this. She wants to turn it on and watch. No hoops, no hunting for streams, etc. Power on and watch.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Both of these comments. I've tried other things for watching , like KODI, and I just don't like the quality I get most times and just the man-hours it takes sometimes to get a good stream to watch. My brother-in-law cut the cord to save on cable costs, and yes, he is saving a pile, but when I was over at his place and we were watching the playoffs... it was literately crap on his big screen. The best feed we could find look like it was 100p and it was 1965. Couldn't see the puck at all and it was laggy. So the whole time we are watching he's keeps saying. " Yeah but look how much money I'm saving " So what.. If you can't enjoy what you watch.

I've never had an issue with GameCenter Live - full HD quality on the highest quality setting, and it looks pretty damned good on my 106" screen.

The only channels I even watch anymore are in HD. Sorry, but I grew up thru the whole gamut of coming from black + white on a 19" TV to HD on a 55" OLED TV. There ain't no way I'm giving that up just to save some cable costs. If it's not HD I'm not watching it.

Certainly, there is crap out there, but Hulu and Netflix (and the occasional movie rental) are all HD quality. It's "close enough" for me that I've chosen to spend my disposable income on other things.

I was into HD sets when they used to cost $6K for a 47" TV back in the early/mid 2000's - I also work in the film industry, so quality is definitely important to me. It does take a bit of setup up front, but once dialed in, it's pretty reliable and can be high quality - certainly higher than it seems you've experienced.

And as far as the better half.. this. She wants to turn it on and watch. No hoops, no hunting for streams, etc. Power on and watch.

I've got our setup pretty much plug and play at this point - high WAF factor (Wife Acceptance Factor), and she happily show surfs in 3 different rooms on 3 different TVs/Projectors.

But, to each their own. It works well for myself and my wife, and saves us a bundle - we probably pay $20-30 a month for subs and rentals, versus $200 with Rogers, and we get to pick and choose when WE want to watch stuff, not when the broadcaster feels like airing it.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Is that $200 inclusive of your internet? If so, what's the cost of the internet now? Genuinely curious.

No, that was just cable. It included GCL though, and that's now "free" since I still have my internet and wireless with Rogers.

Had pretty much every package you could think of. $180+ tax.

Internet is now $60 - it has dropped pretty significantly for us recently. We were one of the early 100Mb customers, and of course I had to switch to get a saving - they never do call you to suggest better packages if they can soak you. ;) Was going to switch to a different provider, but instead switched packages, kept the same speed, got unlimited bandwidth, and a 50% reduction in price.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Loved it? Hated it? Confused by it? Left you with many unanswered questions?

Try watching Twin Peaks. :laugh:

i never watched TP as a kid. my wife loves it. eh.

i think Lost educated me regarding tv watching. try to stop making sense of things as if it's real life. just go along for the ride.
but i found the last episode to be interesting. there are a few ways to interpret it, and that makes it fun.
it could have been a slightly better last episode, but i'm still satisfied.
i did go back and watch 2 scenes again to pick up the subtle hints as to what really happened to Nora, and when you find it, it makes it that much more interesting...and confusing.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
No, that was just cable. It included GCL though, and that's now "free" since I still have my internet and wireless with Rogers.

Had pretty much every package you could think of. $180+ tax.

Internet is now $60 - it has dropped pretty significantly for us recently. We were one of the early 100Mb customers, and of course I had to switch to get a saving - they never do call you to suggest better packages if they can soak you. ;) Was going to switch to a different provider, but instead switched packages, kept the same speed, got unlimited bandwidth, and a 50% reduction in price.

Thanks for the reply. I have to get off my derriere and make the switch. :shakehead

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
i never watched TP as a kid. my wife loves it. eh.

i think Lost educated me regarding tv watching. try to stop making sense of things as if it's real life. just go along for the ride.
but i found the last episode to be interesting. there are a few ways to interpret it, and that makes it fun.
it could have been a slightly better last episode, but i'm still satisfied.
i did go back and watch 2 scenes again to pick up the subtle hints as to what really happened to Nora, and when you find it, it makes it that much more interesting...and confusing.

I believe her. As out there and crazy the story she was telling was, it is a more satisfying conclusion than the alternate theory. There is room for interpretation but seems to me that the show is clearly leaning in one direction.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Took my 8 year old son to see Darcy Oake at the Burt tonight and it was memorable. Sitting with my innocent boy running my hand through his hair it was not lost on me that this was a fundraiser for The foundation the Oake's have started in memory of the brother and son they lost to addiction at only 25 years of age. I wish them all the luck in the world as they bring the Bruce Oak recovery centre to life and make something positive out of their tragedy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/scott-oake-bruce-oake-addiction-1.4148690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->