OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Seeing new 4K channels popping up on my MTS guide. TSN and SN being among them. Is there any word if there will be any Jets games broadcast in 4K next year?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
E3 is here, and it allows me to roll back the clock 20 or so years, so I can get excited for gaming again, before the usual cynicism creeps in. EA was garbage, but MS has a pretty strong showing so far. I'm impressed at the varying games they have here. Too bad that the most hype I feel is for a remaster of a 12 year old game. >_>

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
E3 is here, and it allows me to roll back the clock 20 or so years, so I can get excited for gaming again, before the usual cynicism creeps in. EA was garbage, but MS has a pretty strong showing so far. I'm impressed at the varying games they have here. Too bad that the most hype I feel is for a remaster of a 12 year old game. >_>

The older I get the less and less excited I am for new games. Not cause I don't want to play games or anything, it's just that I don't ever have time to learning the mechanics/lore/gameplay of new games. I find myself more and more replaying games like KOTOR, Civ 5, SC2, Mass Effect 1-4, Gears of War 1-4, AC 1-4, etc. Recently I even went and found my 18 year old disc copy of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 to replay. I haven't even really gotten into Civ 6 since it's so much different and I just can't be bothered to learn the new mechanics.

Recently I've found the games I like more and more are things that are not based on reaction skills or gaming talent. Things like XCOM (turn based tactical) or Pillars of Eternity (while playing it scaled really far down on "story mode" so fighting is super easy). I just want good story and fairly easy combat or turn based tactical combat.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I can empathise. I want a good story to my games, but I also want to be challenged somewhat. I spent a _godlike_ amount of hours on Dark Souls 3 when I was on unemployment, because I love being challenged and getting better at meeting those challenges. I won't begrudge people who want an easy experience, but I want to feel like the experience is worth my time. It's why I get excited for new games, because it's a new experience. That said, the most hyped I got for Microsoft's conference was the announcement of Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, which is a remaster/port of a 9 year old game. >_>

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hi there, didn`t know where else to ask this on Hf but this Bruin fan (don`t hate me please), my wife and dog are moving to BC and are driving through Canada to experience the true Canadian road trip. We aren`t doing any official sight seeing, strictly driving and stopping in various towns/cities then off the next day. We are driving only about 8 hours a day (not including stops for the dog and us) and Winnipeg is our stop travelling from Thunder Bay and we have never been.

We are staying at Best Western`s as we move across country, we don`t really want to stay in the heart of the city, would like to stay reasonably close to the Trans Canada and I`m not sure about a few if I could ask some here for some guidance please and thank you? There is one in Headingly and one called Pembina Inn and Suites on the Pembina Highway.

Are either of these close or relatively near the highway for easy morning access ?

Thank you again

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Hi there, didn`t know where else to ask this on Hf but this Bruin fan (don`t hate me please), my wife and dog are moving to BC and are driving through Canada to experience the true Canadian road trip. We aren`t doing any official sight seeing, strictly driving and stopping in various towns/cities then off the next day. We are driving only about 8 hours a day (not including stops for the dog and us) and Winnipeg is our stop travelling from Thunder Bay and we have never been.

We are staying at Best Western`s as we move across country, we don`t really want to stay in the heart of the city, would like to stay reasonably close to the Trans Canada and I`m not sure about a few if I could ask some here for some guidance please and thank you? There is one in Headingly and one called Pembina Inn and Suites on the Pembina Highway.

Are either of these close or relatively near the highway for easy morning access ?

Thank you again

The Headingly BW is right on the Trans Canada Highway (ie the "#1" highway), so that it is ideal.

The BW on Pembina Highway (Route 42 on the map) is a few kilometers north of the south Perimeter Highway (the ring road bypass around Winnipeg - Highway 100 on the map). It is straight shot back to the Perimeter which is what you need to be on to get back to the #1 and continue west anyway. It would be easy to go to being a straight shot up and down Pembina, and would have more amenities around than the Headingly BW if that matters.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The Headingly BW is right on the Trans Canada Highway (ie the "#1" highway), so that it is ideal.

The BW on Pembina Highway (Route 42 on the map) is a few kilometers north of the south Perimeter Highway (the ring road bypass around Winnipeg - Highway 100 on the map). It is straight shot back to the Perimeter which is what you need to be on to get back to the #1 and continue west anyway. It would be easy to go to being a straight shot up and down Pembina, and would have more amenities around than the Headingly BW if that matters.

That`s great, I really appreciate your help. Had a quick look and the one in Pembina offers a free breakfast and I`m a cheap SOB so that will be the one I think. It seems like it`s also not out of the way too much and it sounds like, based on what you say it`s a pretty simple trek to get back on the highway

Again, really appreciate your help, thanks so much

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That`s great, I really appreciate your help. Had a quick look and the one in Pembina offers a free breakfast and I`m a cheap SOB so that will be the one I think. It seems like it`s also not out of the way too much and it sounds like, based on what you say it`s a pretty simple trek to get back on the highway

Again, really appreciate your help, thanks so much

I would strongly recommend the one in Headingley. It has a free breakfast too, and it will probably take you 45 minutes next morning just to get from the Pembina hotel to where you could have started the next day's drive. 8 hours from the west side of Winnipeg gets you to Swift Current, Saskatchewan. An absolutely perfect destination if you don't want to be distracted by anything remotely touristy. You will want that 45 minutes back when you are crawling through the new bypass construction near Regina.

Make sure you stop for brunch at the Red Barn in Moosomin. :thumbu:
The Red Barn Restaurant

Safe travels.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The older I get the less and less excited I am for new games. Not cause I don't want to play games or anything, it's just that I don't ever have time to learning the mechanics/lore/gameplay of new games. I find myself more and more replaying games like KOTOR, Civ 5, SC2, Mass Effect 1-4, Gears of War 1-4, AC 1-4, etc. Recently I even went and found my 18 year old disc copy of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 to replay. I haven't even really gotten into Civ 6 since it's so much different and I just can't be bothered to learn the new mechanics.

Recently I've found the games I like more and more are things that are not based on reaction skills or gaming talent. Things like XCOM (turn based tactical) or Pillars of Eternity (while playing it scaled really far down on "story mode" so fighting is super easy). I just want good story and fairly easy combat or turn based tactical combat.
Aye. My reaction to these new games is essentially that many of them seem really cool, but I just don't have time. I have pretty much settled on going on to grad school for a Ph.D. once I finish up here, so somehow I don't think that my free time (or ratio of income that's disposable) will be less precious any time soon.

Oh well, at least Cyberpunk 2077 and TES VI don't have any release dates. Maybe those can be delayed for 7 years or so.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I would strongly recommend the one in Headingley. It has a free breakfast too, and it will probably take you 45 minutes next morning just to get from the Pembina hotel to where you could have started the next day's drive. 8 hours from the west side of Winnipeg gets you to Swift Current, Saskatchewan. An absolutely perfect destination if you don't want to be distracted by anything remotely touristy. You will want that 45 minutes back when you are crawling through the new bypass construction near Regina.

Make sure you stop for brunch at the Red Barn in Moosomin. :thumbu:
The Red Barn Restaurant

Safe travels.

Oh I didn`t know that, thank you so much. Both look perfectly fine, not sure why I didn`t notice the one in Pembina being that far from the highway

Reactions: Laine Fan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hi friends, just wanted to again thank you for your guidance in deciding on a hotel in Winnipeg, my wife and I decided on the Headingly Best Western due to how close it is to the highway so we can eat then hit the pavement. Thank you again

Reactions: Smelling Salt

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Hi friends, just wanted to again thank you for your guidance in deciding on a hotel in Winnipeg, my wife and I decided on the Headingly Best Western due to how close it is to the highway so we can eat then hit the pavement. Thank you again

Good choice. Watch your speed around the perimeter and through Headingley, around Virden and Indian Head. And construction zones, of course. All are well known for speed traps. Of course, the crafty buggers could be anywhere, so I never, ever exceed the speed limit. By much. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Good choice. Watch your speed around the perimeter and through Headingley, around Virden and Indian Head. And construction zones, of course. All are well known for speed traps. Of course, the crafty buggers could be anywhere, so I never, ever exceed the speed limit. By much. :)
YMMV but in conversations with some RCMP officers they suggested 112 and below isn't worth their time. Of course 101 is ticketable so it may or may not work out. But I always set my cruise at 112.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->