OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't agree Honda maintenance is cheap. In fact their "scheduled" maintenance services are a rip off. But agreed, very dependable vehicles.
I'm talking from a "Mr. Lube oil change" or changing your own alternator perspective.

Most dealership service is a rip off :)

Reactions: Duke749

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Sell your car, no maintenance fees, no gas, no insurance, no parking fees!!!!!

Hmm, interesting idea. Oh, wait... ;)

snow2014-01.jpg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Speaking of ridiculously unpractical vehicles and things that I have a fondness for...

Does anyone here ride a motorcycle?
I used to. But two things: 1. the insurance rates in Manitoba are absurd (not on scooters though which makes it even more silly) and 2. I got tired of people legit purposely trying to run me off the road. Not inattentive drivers, genuine nutbars. Oh sure it only happened a couple of times a year but it got really aggravating. And no, I wasn't overly obnoxious and neither was either bike I owned (FJ600/Skirtster).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I ride a scooter sometimes?

I like scooters! I rent one whenever I get a chance when I'm on the road, especially in Europe.

I used to. But two things: 1. the insurance rates in Manitoba are absurd (not on scooters though which makes it even more silly) and 2. I got tired of people legit purposely trying to run me off the road. Not inattentive drivers, genuine nutbars. Oh sure it only happened a couple of times a year but it got really aggravating. And no, I wasn't overly obnoxious and neither was either bike I owned (FJ600/Skirtster).

Some people (like cats) are jerks. I don't get the hate for motorcycles, other than perhaps people are envious of the fun motorcyclists are having. ;)

I do, I love my impractical vehicle that MPI rakes me over the coals for :)

What do you ride, HC? For buggs and yourself - have the rates in MB steadily climbed? I haven't insured a bike in MB for over 25 years, so I have no idea. Was very reasonable back then.

I've got two, though I'm trying to get rid of the Ninja as the wife won't ride as a passenger on it anymore - too uncomfortable.

The one she enjoys going as a passenger on:

IO8rKw2.png

The one she doesn't. ;)

G3V7Xa7.png

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Speaking of ridiculously unpractical vehicles and things that I have a fondness for...

Does anyone here ride a motorcycle?

I did for years in the 90's, the bike is gone now. It was a 75 Yamaha XS650 (sweet XS). I removed all the cruiser stuff, converted it from points to electronic ignition, highway gears, bored over to 700, shortie drop bars and a tiny saddle, matte paint, and custom rear fender, freebie sportster pipes, custom stainless headers a la cafe racer. Did the ton and more.

Kids born, bought a mini-van. :eek:

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
This is a pic of the XS, when it was about half-finished. It took me a couple of years to get it where I wanted it to be. Here, I had gone to flat bars, not dropped. I put in the taller gears, and the electronic ignition. It still had the stock seat, rear fender, and the super quiet stock pipes.

The Harley sportster pipes, and the highway gears really changed the nature of the bike (for the better). It wasn't super loud at all, just more "rumbly". Soul-satisfying.

Pretty primitive, with no electric start! :huh::laugh:

sweet XS.jpg

Reactions: tacogeoff

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
What do you ride, HC? For buggs and yourself - have the rates in MB steadily climbed? I haven't insured a bike in MB for over 25 years, so I have no idea. Was very reasonable back then.

I can't recall when MPI cranked up the rates, but I'll say around 2005? I stopped riding well before that but now that I have greater disposable income I had considered getting a bike again. I did a quick calculation for an older bike - plunked in 2008 Sportster 1200 and the rate is just a bit over $1000 for the year. I was actually surprised it was that low but at the same time I think saying $1000 for insurance for 4-6 months is a bit misleading. I also put in pleasure rather than all purpose which may not be representative for many. Make it a newer bike, all purpose and you're probably at least doubling that amount. Ouch.

Oddly scooters (with displacement up to 800cc) are still quite cheap to insure (I did not do the calculation). I have a friend who works at a dealership and he said the number of scooters they sold skyrocketed with the new insurance rates as you still sort of get the same experience.

To an extent I get the MPI approach to it in that motorcycles are almost always written off when they are in an accident and the rider also has high medical costs presuming they survive (although I'd argue that with no-fault insurance and socialized medicine the medical costs should be irrelevant). But there had to be better ways to distribute the cost burden. In many accidents the non-motorcycle driver is often at fault. Where that's not the case you tend to find that the type of motorcycle being ridden combined with a relatively young age (16-25 y/o males on rice rockets) was already presumably written into the formula. So why punish everyone? The 50+ y/o riding a Gold Wing isn't really a risk factor to the same degree. Alas it remains quite a debatable subject.

The other factor that has me not wanting a bike so much is that I bicycle commute to work from the time the snow goes away until it comes back to stay again, so anywhere between 6-8 months. I get the benefits of lower stress, exercise and no parking fees. I like all of that and I would lose aspects if I owned a motorcycle. Sadly I'm no longer of an age where taking my health for granted is an option.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
'Solo' was better than I expected - definitely a fun movie

Looks like it takes a bit of a different tone them most Star Wars movies. A bit more of a personal story rather then the epic space opera's that Star Wars movies usually are. Haven't seen it yet. Will probably check it out this weekend.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm talking from a "Mr. Lube oil change" or changing your own alternator perspective.

Most dealership service is a rip off :)

If I don’t go truck, it’s a civic or Toyota for me. And even if I go truck, Tacoma is the first thing I’m looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->