OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Funny you would put it that way. The Free Press article referred to the book as having "a reputation for being owned more than read". ;)

This is a very famous (and long-standing) assessment, not limited to the pages of the Free Press. Its why he released another version of the book many years after the first release (A briefer history of time). If you have read the original book, you will understand why he felt the need to chop down the content even more. It was marketed as a new iteration to incorporate string theory, and touch on inequities of the behaviour of massive objects in our viewable universe eg, the theoretical existence of dark matter to explain the nature of movement of clusters of galaxies, etc, but in reality it was a chance to render the original in a slightly more digestible form for the layperson. I think books by Brian Greene on string theory may have spurred the publication of the second book (Superstring Theory, The Elegant Universe).

A Briefer History of Time (Hawking and Mlodinow book) - Wikipedia

In the original, reading past anything beyond Chapter two invokes an exponential increase in content depth, and requires concentration and something more akin to studying for an exam, with sidenotes, interpretation and rereading (at least for me). My copy looks like one of my notebooks. :laugh: :huh:

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This is a very famous (and long-standing) assessment, not limited to the pages of the Free Press. Its why he released another Lite version many years after the first release. If you have read the original book, you will understand why he felt the need to chop down the content even more. It was marketed as a new iteration to incorporate string theory, and touch on inequities of the behaviour of massive objects in our viewable universe eg, the theoretical existence of dark matter to explain the nature of movement of clusters of galaxies, etc, but in reality it was a chance to render the original in a slightly more digestible form for the layperson.

A Briefer History of Time (Hawking and Mlodinow book) - Wikipedia

In the original, reading past anything beyond Chapter two invokes an exponential increase in content depth, and requires concentration and something more akin to studying for an exam, with sidenotes, interpretation and rereading (at least for me). My copy looks like one of my notebooks. :laugh: :huh:

Take it down further to this level and I might have a shot at grasping these things. :laugh:

9666d580ab2db694e9036c2b7a31657f--vintage-books-school-days.jpg

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I know he was a shitty person, but I know his daughters and you should be careful about what you say. They are good people who had a shitty father, they still have to deal with the death of their dad.

The players were awarded the money through the civil case, dropping the criminal case has nothing to do with that. They will still get everything they can out of him.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I still haven't gotten mine and I'm 33 next month.

I am really disappointed in Sobeys' paska this year. Went up and got smaller. Need to order some from Natural Bakery.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Happening right now .. good weather.. I mean great weather

2a9vfyc.jpg

Being a "former Winnipeger" you must be just trying to make us feel bad here Jet's Far East-- just after we came out of a minus - 20 degree cold snap last week. I can just smell the banana oil sun tan lotion.:)

Not a lot of people know this-- but Boracay is rated one of the top 5 beaches in the world, out there in the Philippines. Lot's of beautiful girls as well.

And yes--I'm very jealous-as I love the hot weather :cool:

Boracay is one of the nicest white sand beaches in the world !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kanadalainen

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I know he was a ****ty person, but I know his daughters and you should be careful about what you say. They are good people who had a ****ty father, they still have to deal with the death of their dad.

The players were awarded the money through the civil case, dropping the criminal case has nothing to do with that. They will still get everything they can out of him.

The players will be awarded judgements or whatever in the civil case -- but likely the "money" is long gone. Just like in the OJ Simpson case, all the family got was some old trophies etc, and I understand the money was all gone ??-- hidden away in offshore accounts.

I wish the players all the best in recovering "some" of their losses.

As you say-- this cannot be blamed on the family, it's just one man involved here -- I'm sure they knew nothing about what was going on.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Finally got my drivers license @ 26 years of age. Feels good man. Still not getting a car, though. Don't need one.

I am 27. No licence, don't even know how to drive (forgotten everything from Driver's Ed classes in highschool). Last year the girl I was seeing asked me to use her car to drive her mom to someplace and it was embarrassing to admit that LOL. :oops: Unless you have kids, it's pretty easy to get by without driving.

Reactions: GNP

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I am 27. No licence, don't even know how to drive (forgotten everything from Driver's Ed classes in highschool). Last year the girl I was seeing asked me to use her car to drive her mom to someplace and it was embarrassing to admit that LOL. :oops: Unless you have kids, it's pretty easy to get by without driving.
Yeah, i could live without a licence easily if it wasn't for my job. The public transportation is great here. And i feel your embarrassment. It shouldn't be embarrassing but it really does make you feel inadequate, or something.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Saw the new Tomb Raider movie. It is amazing. It's derivative pulp adventure, of course, but for what it promises to do, it does well. Alicia Vikander is the most legit person to play this character I could have possibly imagined. It will make you forget the abominable efforts by Angelina Jolie.

And if you were a fan of the 2013 reboot and the sequel, you'll recognize a fair bit of the plot and set pieces. That was a key thing for me. If you're going to make a movie based on a video game, make it actually recognizable as such to fans of the game, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad