OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Next Trade Deadline... HF needs to trade up to some better servers.

Members Online:
Guests Online:
Robots Online:
Total Visitors:
And she's down.....

Last edited:

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing for this site to be down on one of the most "important" days of the season. What would a game 7 finals night look like? They need to invest.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Metallica tickets go on sale today for members. You can also sign up for free. Have a feeling all the good tickets will be gone

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Why are you not surprised?

When they announced they were creating the brew pub and when they were going to open, they didn't even have a brewer lined up. They didn't end up even posting an opening for a brewer until about 4 months before planned opening (which was delayed anyways). The founder was the "marketing" brains behind Half Pints, but not the brewing side, and I think she didn't actually take into account how to run a proper brewing operation. Corners were cut, and by the sounds of it, they couldn't brew a consistent beer and spent a lot of money chasing losses.

Some of that is based on third-hand info, granted - but the signs were there even before they opened that it was a difficult road. It would be BEST if Half Pints stepped in and ran it as a Half Pints brewpub instead.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
When they announced they were creating the brew pub and when they were going to open, they didn't even have a brewer lined up. They didn't end up even posting an opening for a brewer until about 4 months before planned opening (which was delayed anyways). The founder was the "marketing" brains behind Half Pints, but not the brewing side, and I think she didn't actually take into account how to run a proper brewing operation. Corners were cut, and by the sounds of it, they couldn't brew a consistent beer and spent a lot of money chasing losses.

Some of that is based on third-hand info, granted - but the signs were there even before they opened that it was a difficult road. It would be BEST if Half Pints stepped in and ran it as a Half Pints brewpub instead.

They won best beer at the Winnipeg Beer Festival held at Fort Gibralter this past summer. They had opened only shortly before.

Ended up going in the day after the festival. They'd won off a radler'esque brew whose name escapes me at the moment.

Food was pretty good. They made their own bread on site & the smell of fresh baked goodness lingered for hours. I liked the concept of being able to order from the beer menu in multiple sizes, allowing for sampling & sharing.

Down side was location. They were on the extreme edge of the exchange with seemingly vacant warehouses as their neighbours. Hell of a fruit fly situation as well during each of my three trips in.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
They won best beer at the Winnipeg Beer Festival held at Fort Gibralter this past summer. They had opened only shortly before.

I'd be curious to know what beers they were up against, in which category, and who put on the festival.

Like I said - the fact that they couldn't produce consistent brews is a huge red flag.

StaticPrevails

Oct 6, 2011
Edmonton
I was going through my old computer and found this bogosian gif from back the in the day. I remember being in the stitches the first time I saw it.

A1_EEFB4_F_7600_4757_9_BC2_55_D4_CDCC4_AA4.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So I hear Peg Brewing is closed... not surprised.

Why are you not surprised?

Ended up going in the day after the festival. They'd won off a radler'esque brew whose name escapes me at the moment.

Food was pretty good. They made their own bread on site & the smell of fresh baked goodness lingered for hours. I liked the concept of being able to order from the beer menu in multiple sizes, allowing for sampling & sharing.

Down side was location. They were on the extreme edge of the exchange with seemingly vacant warehouses as their neighbours. Hell of a fruit fly situation as well during each of my three trips in.

For anyone who dreams of owning a micro brewery/brew pub the 2nd or 3rd owner in on these deals can do alright if the tenant left their leaseholds behind. Sometimes the tenant does the midnight run and guts the place but if all the brewing equipment, kitchen, bar, and dining rooms are “as is” then it can provide a low cost to entry. I didn’t love the room layout but it was workable.

Not positive about the location but if you have amazing product the market place will find you these days.

Reactions: Derfel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->