OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Started watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix and the first episode was pretty good.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Speaking of Netflix, I've gotta watch the new season of the Crown. Just waiting on a mate to give me his new password....

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Watched a German series called "Dark" on Netflix this weekend after reading the premise which sounded interesting and am so glad I did. Great show! If you are into stuff like LOST or Twin Peaks or any kind of time-travel fiction, you should give it a go. The show is in German but there is an English dub on Netflix and also English subtitles available.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Speaking of Netflix, I've gotta watch the new season of the Crown. Just waiting on a mate to give me his new password....

The GF is already hard into the Crown. She loves talking about the British crown, despite them being just a bunch of powerless rich kids born into privilege for no reason. As a Canadian where the Crown can still veto any law for any reason (practically it wouldn't happen, but technically it still can) I can't stand the privilege and money from the crown. Not sure where you guys are in New Zealand, I know that in Australia they are similiar situation to Canada where technically all laws still have to pass past the British Crown which is completely ridiculous.

Reactions: LadyJet26

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
The GF is already hard into the Crown. She loves talking about the British crown, despite them being just a bunch of powerless rich kids born into privilege for no reason. As a Canadian where the Crown can still veto any law for any reason (practically it wouldn't happen, but technically it still can) I can't stand the privilege and money from the crown. Not sure where you guys are in New Zealand, I know that in Australia they are similiar situation to Canada where technically all laws still have to pass past the British Crown which is completely ridiculous.
I'm not really into any costume dramas let alone TV series except this one. Dunno why, and it's the only one I watch.

As for the actual Crown, yes, NZ is in as much the same position as Australia and Canada. For all intents and purposes independent, but with a Governor General to sign laws on behalf of the Queen. The Queen herserself I wouldn't mind having a cup of tea with, but otherwise the royal family are so far away they don't even register on the national consciousness unless there's a wedding or baby on the way.

Of course there's the odd whisperings of becoming a republic, far more of which I heard while visiting our neighbours across the Tasman. I'm sure either of our countries could cope fine. However there is an interesting point of difference here in NZ, the Treaty of Waitangi. Our nation's founding document is a bilingual treaty between Māori and the Crown. A LOT got lost in translation and a lot of land was "bought" by the crown, powers abused etc. But today we have the Waitangi tribunal between Māori and the Crown, which has led to much land being returned to Māori and other past injustices being addressed. Should the Crown cease to be present in NZ, there's the risk that this legal avenue for Māori will too.

The Fist

Fist full of dollars
Feb 9, 2014
Winnipeg
If you guys are interested in sub titled stuff, try and find Occupied (okkupert) on Netflix, it just completed it's second season on Viaplay and should be on Netflix soon, global warming political drama set in Norway with a big Russian twist, absolutely fabulous.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not really into any costume dramas let alone TV series except this one. Dunno why, and it's the only one I watch.

As for the actual Crown, yes, NZ is in as much the same position as Australia and Canada. For all intents and purposes independent, but with a Governor General to sign laws on behalf of the Queen. The Queen herserself I wouldn't mind having a cup of tea with, but otherwise the royal family are so far away they don't even register on the national consciousness unless there's a wedding or baby on the way.

Of course there's the odd whisperings of becoming a republic, far more of which I heard while visiting our neighbours across the Tasman. I'm sure either of our countries could cope fine. However there is an interesting point of difference here in NZ, the Treaty of Waitangi. Our nation's founding document is a bilingual treaty between Māori and the Crown. A LOT got lost in translation and a lot of land was "bought" by the crown, powers abused etc. But today we have the Waitangi tribunal between Māori and the Crown, which has led to much land being returned to Māori and other past injustices being addressed. Should the Crown cease to be present in NZ, there's the risk that this legal avenue for Māori will too.
I think the treaty would be transferred to the NZ government if the country decided to become a republic. I mean, I assume the "Crown" members of the Waitangi tribunal are really New Zealanders appointed by the elected government (even though the GG may do the official appointing, it's on the 'recommendation' of Parliament or the PM).

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Hey guys quick question!

I was wondering, do we have a signup thread for GDTs? I have never made one and I would like to either make or help with the Dec 23 game vs. Islanders. Whether I'm involved or not, I just really really need the title to be "A Christmas Carom". I hope you all understand.

Reactions: RupertThePoupert

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hey guys quick question!

I was wondering, do we have a signup thread for GDTs? I have never made one and I would like to either make or help with the Dec 23 game vs. Islanders. Whether I'm involved or not, I just really really need the title to be "A Christmas Carom". I hope you all understand.

Go for it! Right now, it's usually just @Aavco Cup or myself creating quick GDT's (with some help from posters like @JetsFan815 and a couple of others). I'm more than happy to defer, and I like the article name. :D

There's no GDT signup - if there's enough interest, I could resurrect the practice, as we did last year. It tended to be the same GDT creators, and so many went unclaimed that I didn't put a thread together for this year. Is there interest from other posters to sign up for GDT's again? (Asking everyone on this one).

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Who's got tickets to The Last Jedi tomorrow evening? This guy does! :popcorn:

hey-i-got-the-last-jedi-trailer-down-here-me-19236831.png

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If anyone wants to talk about the new Star Wars movie, please use the [SPOILER] tag to hide the discussion. Works like this:

[SPOILER]Really important spoiler about a movie that will ruin someone's day[/SPOILER]

This results in:

Really important spoiler about a movie that will ruin someone's day. Please be considerate to your fellow posters, and don't troll by posting spoilers in the open.

If you purposefully spoil the movie for other posters in this thread or any other thread on HFJets, you'll sit on the sidelines for a month. Fair warning.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I've read some non-spoiler reviews since the review embargo lifted yesterday and people are saying its on par with Empire which I'm taking with a grain of salt but is also getting me even more excited :popcorn:

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Hopefully going with my family soon. Mum's the Starwars nut, I wish I cared more, but I've enjoyed both new movies all the same.

There are reports that they'd like my homeboy Taika Waititi to direct a Star Wars film. I doubt they'd give him free rein like Marvel did but boy that'd be something. I think a spin-off would suit him well, rather than a main series movie. And if you enjoyed Thor Ragnarok, I hope you make time to see his other films.

Reactions: kanadalainen

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Very cool! We have tickets for next week - booked VIP so we've got our seats ready, and I can down a martini or two. ;)

That reminds me: no spoilers! I'm going to add it to the thread title...

VIP is the only way to go. But the fewer people that read this the better. Less competition for seats. :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've made two attempts to watch that show, and each time I've gotten 2 episodes in and been distracted by something else. It's very good though!

So far so good for me. I am in episode 2 and I want to keep watching.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Three Movies I really enjoyed in the past couple of years were Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River. Turns out they were all written by the same screenwriter Taylor Sheridan who also acted in Sons or Anarcy. Some people are pretty talented.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
So far so good for me. I am in episode 2 and I want to keep watching.

I made it all the way up to episode 4, and then ended up watching "Hinterland" instead, then the Burns Vietnam documentary, then the Burns WW2 documentary (again), and then Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I'll go back to it soon.

I have Netflix ADHD, apparently.

Reactions: ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->