OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
In Tribute to Gord Downie, CTV Advances World TV Premiere of LONG TIME RUNNING to Now Air This Friday, October 20 at 8 p.m.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Very tough day that we all knew was coming. Feels like I lost a really close friend today and I never met Gord. Gone is a true treasure but Mr Downey left behind a legacy I will enjoy till my last days....memories and the soundtrack that bounds us....you were literally one of a kind and I am glad I lived in your era.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I grew up with the Hip and saw them live quite a few times, most memorably in a club in London UK where I lived for many years. Several of my writer friends knew and worked with Gord over the years on various projects. He was an extraordinary musician, performer and man, and it's been interesting to catch up with that music and realize just how strong its hold is still on us. So few artists can make that claim. So few people.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah sad that Gord Downie had to go too soon. I remember when the Hip were just starting out and they had some controversy or something about a gig here (in wpg). They were touring the original EP iirc. I wasn't a huge fan, but they had a lot of songs I enjoyed quite a bit. Several we covered in the various crappy bands I've been in over the past decade. But Downie was for sure a great frontman and wrote some great lyrics.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah sad that Gord Downie had to go too soon. I remember when the Hip were just starting out and they had some controversy or something about a gig here (in wpg). They were touring the original EP iirc. I wasn't a huge fan, but they had a lot of songs I enjoyed quite a bit. Several we covered in the various crappy bands I've been in over the past decade. But Downie was for sure a great frontman and wrote some great lyrics.

Are you talking about when they were fired from their weeklong gig at the Diamond club? It was a Tuesday I think. They were stuck in the city but local music scene arranged for them to keep playing while they were here

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/historic/33163299.html

2. THE TRAGICALLY HIP
Diamond Club, March 14, 1988
The Garden City club now known as Silverado's has the dubious distinction of being the only bar in Canada to ever fire The Tragically Hip.
Playing its first dates outside its native Ontario, the future Can-rock superstars had a week of shows booked at the newly opened Diamond Club and fellow Hospitality Corp. nightspot Night Moves.
But The Hip's stripped-down rock 'n' roll sound proved unpleasant to the ears of Diamond Club management, who fired the band for being too uncommercial.
At that point in the band's career, it might have been the best thing that ever happened to The Hip. Spurred on by publicity, The Hip's shows were moved over to a Fort Rouge bar called Corner Boys (now a Thai restaurant), downtown's Portage Village Inn (now record store A&B Sound) and the University of Manitoba.
"I would almost prefer to play a place just for the beer or the door as long as it's a cool place," frontman Gord Downie told the Free Press at the time.
"There's nothing more tiring than playing to a room full of people who would rather be listening to piped-in disco music — the kind of place where they get down on you because you don't have a crease in your pants."

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
It sucks that he died and had cancer [mod: natd]. What was great about him is that he was a caring person who loved his family and is the epitome of being Canadian. We lost a great Canadian far too soon.

Reactions: ps241

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Are you talking about when they were fired from their weeklong gig at the Diamond club? It was a Tuesday I think. They were stuck in the city but local music scene arranged for them to keep playing while they were here

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/historic/33163299.html

2. THE TRAGICALLY HIP
Diamond Club, March 14, 1988
The Garden City club now known as Silverado's has the dubious distinction of being the only bar in Canada to ever fire The Tragically Hip.
Playing its first dates outside its native Ontario, the future Can-rock superstars had a week of shows booked at the newly opened Diamond Club and fellow Hospitality Corp. nightspot Night Moves.
But The Hip's stripped-down rock 'n' roll sound proved unpleasant to the ears of Diamond Club management, who fired the band for being too uncommercial.
At that point in the band's career, it might have been the best thing that ever happened to The Hip. Spurred on by publicity, The Hip's shows were moved over to a Fort Rouge bar called Corner Boys (now a Thai restaurant), downtown's Portage Village Inn (now record store A&B Sound) and the University of Manitoba.
"I would almost prefer to play a place just for the beer or the door as long as it's a cool place," frontman Gord Downie told the Free Press at the time.
"There's nothing more tiring than playing to a room full of people who would rather be listening to piped-in disco music — the kind of place where they get down on you because you don't have a crease in your pants."

I remember watching them in the tower lounge at Red River College. It was very early in their career, they were playing Highway Girl on the radio. Might have been on the same visit. I knew even then that they were destined for greatness. Then again, I also saw Crash Vegas play at RRC and thought they too were destined for greatness. So, maybe I'm not the best judge of these things. :laugh:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Gord Downie is a legend. I mean, the dude fought cancer hard and was still working. I remember hearing before he died that he was going somewhere for work, and then I hear he dies.

He was for sure somebody you could look up to.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
As someone who grew up on bands like The Ramones, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, Iron Maiden etc... I rarely listened to mainstream music or acts that would be considered borderline mainstream and the Hip walked that line and then as I got older, more mature and broadened my musical palette my eyes/ears were open to bands like the Hip who I was fortunate enough to see live 3 times. Every time I saw them they were better than the last, they may not be in my top 5 or top 10 favorite bands but the respect I have for Gord as a person and what this band means to Canadians is huge, he was a genuine and caring individual who was not afraid to speak his mind and when he spoke peopled listened. We have lost a very special human being and he will be missed not only in Canada but the entire world. RIP Gord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->