OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Does it offend you guys that my only dream regarding NA would be to live in Vancouver? I'm pretty sure I'd absolutely love the city and area.

Vancouver seems pretty great. Very similar to my Auckland apparently. I won't miss it next time I'm up there.

Unfortunately one thing the cities do have in common is obscenely expensive housing so I dunno if I'd try and live there long term.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Vancouver seems pretty great. Very similar to my Auckland apparently. I won't miss it next time I'm up there.

Unfortunately one thing the cities do have in common is obscenely expensive housing so I dunno if I'd try and live there long term.

Yeah that might be a problem but hey we're talking dream scenarios so who gives a beautifulpapillon.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Vancouver is spectacular and I'd personally rate it as the most desirable city in Canada to both live in and visit. But it is indeed obscenely expensive. I can't see how my two nieces who were born there (now 24/21) are going to afford to live there in the long term. Housing prices would be prohibitive to my wife and I even if our jobs were portable to that city. Winnipeg isn't for everyone no question, but it's not nearly as bad as the perception about it is. It's affordable, there is a lot to do regardless of your age. The major limitation is if you can handle cold weather. If you're not into doing anything in winter it will indeed be very long. But that covers most of Canada.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Vancouver is spectacular and I'd personally rate it as the most desirable city in Canada to both live in and visit. But it is indeed obscenely expensive. I can't see how my two nieces who were born there (now 24/21) are going to afford to live there in the long term. Housing prices would be prohibitive to my wife and I even if our jobs were portable to that city. Winnipeg isn't for everyone no question, but it's not nearly as bad as the perception about it is. It's affordable, there is a lot to do regardless of your age. The major limitation is if you can handle cold weather. If you're not into doing anything in winter it will indeed be very long. But that covers most of Canada.

I agree with this. Winnipeg is a great place to live as long as you can get away at least for a bit in the winter. May, June, July and August, there is no place I would rather be than Winnipeg with our endless summer days.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah it's great to leave Winnipeg in November or December for a week or two down south. Breaks up the season.

It gives you an appreciation for the warmer weather I guess. Sucks to come back to the snow but at the same time it's nice to be home.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Vancouver is really nice, but yeah the housing is ridiculous. Victoria is great too - less rainy, more reasonable housing, close to a lot of outdoor fun (fishing, hiking, biking). 20 minutes to Vancouver on Harbour Air or the Helijet. Good connections to Seattle, too. If you don't mind being on an island and in a smaller city, it's a good place.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Vancouver is really nice, but yeah the housing is ridiculous. Victoria is great too - less rainy, more reasonable housing, close to a lot of outdoor fun (fishing, hiking, biking). 20 minutes to Vancouver on Harbour Air or the Helijet. Good connections to Seattle, too. If you don't mind being on an island and in a smaller city, it's a good place.

The sunniest place on the west coast is actually White Rock. West Van and North Van get significantly more rainfall than Vancouver

The Fist

Fist full of dollars
Feb 9, 2014
Winnipeg
I love Vancouver, dream of living there all the time, and yes the sticker shock of housing is a big deal breaker, but what's interesting is below the surface if you look at condos specifically aside from the absurd buy in it's actually relatively easy to afford, the listings I'm looking at have property taxes akin to what I'm paying in north end winnipeg, and the condo fees well below what Toronto is dealing with, it's just the massive buy in and the fact that a single family home is not attainable.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
John Dunsworth AKA Mr. Lahey just died. RIP. I saw him at the Burton Cummings back in April and he was amazing. Great man and great actor. I am speechless. Celebrity deaths do not usually affect me but this just sucks.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Florida is beautiful in its tropical way. You have to be able to adjust to humidity but if you can you are set. One thing though Jet......never, ever go to a Walmart in Orlando, it’s like you are in the Michael Jackson Thriller video.
Haha I JUST came from Walmart. BUT I live near 3 colleges... 125,000 students all in the area so it's far from Thriller. :)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Haha I JUST came from Walmart. BUT I live near 3 colleges... 125,000 students all in the area so it's far from Thriller. :)

Ok that sounds much better than the Walmart super centre out by Kissimmee gateway airport on 535. Yikes

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Some thoughts on ST: D. That's shorthand for Star Trek: Discovery BTW, not... you know, that other thing.

This is not your grandpa's Star Trek. Can you imagine Nurse Chapel uttering the F-word? Or Bones and Scotty as gay lovers? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When I heard Sonequa Martin-Green was in the cast, I just knew major characters would die regularly.

Rainn Wilson as Harcourt Fenton Mudd? Love it. Who's next to re-appear (or maybe that's pre-appear)? The petulant demi-God Trelane? Khan? Some Tribbles?

And really, they should be paying some royalties to the Herbert estate. Spores or spice, don't matter. The Tartigrade is a Guild Navigator ripoff.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Some thoughts on ST: D. That's shorthand for Star Trek: Discovery BTW, not... you know, that other thing.

This is not your grandpa's Star Trek. Can you imagine Nurse Chapel uttering the F-word? Or Bones and Scotty as gay lovers? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When I heard Sonequa Martin-Green was in the cast, I just knew major characters would die regularly.

Rainn Wilson as Harcourt Fenton Mudd? Love it. Who's next to re-appear (or maybe that's pre-appear)? The petulant demi-God Trelane? Khan? Some Tribbles?

And really, they should be paying some royalties to the Herbert estate. Spores or spice, don't matter. The Tartigrade is a Guild Navigator ripoff.

Red shirts?

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB

They've already shown a tribble. IIRC, it was in the first episode.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

This is my first Star Trek, I was too young to watch them when the earlier editions were airing but I always heard great things about them from the fans. I must say, I am slightly disappointed with this series. From what I know of the series based on how fans talk about it, it's supposed to be thoughtful and philosphical sci-fi. This is just too "hollywood" and too action-y for me. It looks fantastic but leaves something to be desired storywise. There is one specific character that did something in the episode before this week's that deserves the darwin award :laugh:

The Klingons are terrible villains, everytime they open their mouth they don't say anything new and repeat one of the same 2-3 points they have been making since the first episode

I love the Lucius Malfoy, he is in so many shows/movies and great in everything.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So glad I got to see TTH one last time at the MTS Centre on the farewell tour. At least 2 dozen live viewings for me. I lost track. I loved the Roadside Attraction festivals. I also vividly recall a free concert at the forks to benefit War Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad