Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It’s possible.
This then leads one to draw a conclusion that Chevy isn’t all that and a bag of chips......however I actually believe this roster is quite capable but in need of new direction.
The scariest thing is the off season talk about Chipman, Chevy and Maurice all having input as far as direction of roster goes.
This owner needs to be less of a buddy and let the GM he hired run the club.
I think there is one big cap still in our talent. A #3 center. Connor now gives another top 6 option so maybe this drops MP down as a great 3rd line player. Armia is the best of the rest and makes for a decent 3rd line RW. You still then need a true 3rd line center to give us 3 scoring lines. Then you have Lowry at #4 C on your checking line. You cobble the rest of the 4th with what is left over.

Reactions: GNP

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Doubt this is the case, you don't finish 7th in league scoring with a talent deficit.

Even if it were potentially the case, it's a much cheaper and safer bet to assume it's coaching. Even safer when that coach is the all-time losingest coach in NHL history.

Very true. It is also a pretty safe bet that it's coaching when the coach has not made any improvements to the:

-PK
-PP
-team discipline
-defensive zone systems
-in game adjustments
-personnel deployment.

This mostly is all on coaching. I am surprised this is even a discussion.

Reactions: Board Bard

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Oh. I've been complaining about a lack of serious hockey ops position to oversee Chevy and the coaching staff for years. yup. we got a coach as advertised. Career .500. 19 years in the league - 5 playoff appearances and out of the 1st round of the playoffs a whole 2 times.

Doing as his record would indicate.

Maybe not every roster is capable of the same results.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Its not

When you play like garbage for 3 games it isn't hard to see why you lose those 3 games

Maybe they need a coaching change and maybe they need another "big" trade like the Kane one to wake them up.

Why do I get the feeling they come out hard against the Wild on friday and win

Well Joe we are VERY due for one of those dominant games aren’t we. Unless I am concussed this is largely the same group that looked dominant at the end of last season. They are capable of kicking ass it just feels like 6 months since we have seen it doesn’t it?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not blaming Byfuglien for last nights embarrassment. He didn't really drive anything to correct the game (which you'd expect from your high paid leaders) but he wasn't bad Buff at all last night. Enstrom was bad, Trouba, Wheeler... These guys have to be better. Mason looked good but he's really lacking confidence. Thank god for Helle.

You didn’t comment on Myers Jet. I thought that was his worst game as a Jet. Not sure if it’s still rust but he needs to get better fast. I thought Mason saved us over the first 30 minutes last night.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
On the contrary, the strength of this team is its collection of talent. Unfortunately, the coaching is actually an obstacle in the way of that talent.

Easy answer with lots of denial. Blame Maurice. Perhaps we've all overrated the likes of Petan Dano Armia Myers and others

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Easy answer with lots of denial. Blame Maurice. Perhaps we've all overrated the likes of Petan Dano Armia Myers and others

There probably is some overrating going on, but that doesn't explain why so many of the best players can look so bad and disorganized so often.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It might be the correct answer though. Ever since the team started the rebuild after the playoff year Maurice has steered the team towards playing low event hockey

Garret wrote a nice article on it last year. https://jetsnation.ca/2016/12/29/by-the-numbers-winnipeg-jets-should-not-be-playing-so-low-event/

Now concentrating on defense is fine but one quick look at our roster composition should tell you that it likely is not close to the optimal philosophy for this group.

I think case can be made with one player that Maurice rides very hard In Buff. Buff is about the furthest thing from a low event player. He's about as high event as it gets. Maurice runs him hard. Sometimes half the game. Right here is the biggest exhibit of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Let's move on to the other dmen Moe likes. Myers gets substantial minutes but like Buff is also offense first. He doesn't have the defensive acunum to play solid low event positional defense He's at his best when the play os moving the other way.

Morrissey and Trouba can play both ways but if argue Trouba is still more offensively inclined and likes pushing the play up up the ice quickly.

Just looking at the composition of the defense already raises red flags with regards to the organizational philosophy. It should be no surprise that Buff looked like a beast in the playoff year a year that coincided with Maurice running a very high event system As it meshed with his strengths as a player.

Moving onto the forwards and it shouldn't be hard to see that they aren't a great fit for low event hockey either.

I don't have any issue with teaching good defensive positioning and awareness but I feel that Maurice has moved the needle far too much in that direction especially given the composition of the team. This teams systems should be designed around our players strengths while the coaching staff continues to work with the individual players on improving there defensive play. It shouldn't be designed to act as a crutch against there weaknesses especially at the expense of their strengths.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
It might be the correct answer though. Ever since the team started the rebuild after the playoff year Maurice has steered the team towards playing low event hockey

Garret wrote a nice article on it last year. https://jetsnation.ca/2016/12/29/by-the-numbers-winnipeg-jets-should-not-be-playing-so-low-event/

Now concentrating on defense is fine but one quick look at our roster composition should tell you that it likely is not close to the optimal philosophy for this group.

I think case can be made with one player that Maurice rides very hard In Buff. Buff is about the furthest thing from a low event player. He's about as high event as it gets. Maurice runs him hard. Sometimes half the game. Right here is the biggest exhibit of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Let's move on to the other dmen Moe likes. Myers gets substantial minutes but like Buff is also offense first. He doesn't have the defensive acunum to play solid low event positional defense He's at his best when the play os moving the other way.

Morrissey and Trouba can play both ways but if argue Trouba is still more offensively inclined and likes pushing the play up up the ice quickly.

Just looking at the composition of the defense already raises red flags with regards to the organizational philosophy. It should be no surprise that Buff looked like a beast in the playoff year a year that coincided with Maurice running a very high event system As it meshed with his strengths as a player.

Moving onto the forwards and it shouldn't be hard to see that they aren't a great fit for low event hockey either.

I don't have any issue with teaching good defensive positioning and awareness but I feel that Maurice has moved the needle far too much in that direction especially given the composition of the team. This teams systems should be designed around our players strengths while the coaching staff continues to work with the individual players on improving there defensive play. It shouldn't be designed to act as a crutch against there weaknesses especially at the expense of their strengths.

How does one create/coach a higher event team? What are a few good examples that you could give me. Curious to see what it looks like and how it happens. Neutral zone play? Break outs?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
There probably is some overrating going on, but that doesn't explain why so many of the best players can look so bad and disorganized so often.

The Jets scored 249 goals last season (only 5 scored more)How did the
opposition team look while we were scoring those goals? Probably bad and disorganized right? It's what hockey is .... a game of mistakes.

Reactions: Evil Little

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think there is one big cap still in our talent. A #3 center. Connor now gives another top 6 option so maybe this drops MP down as a great 3rd line player. Armia is the best of the rest and makes for a decent 3rd line RW. You still then need a true 3rd line center to give us 3 scoring lines. Then you have Lowry at #4 C on your checking line. You cobble the rest of the 4th with what is left over.
Jets need to try Roslovic at 3C. They really have nothing to lose at this point, especially with a few injuries. He's exactly the kind of high pace player they lack on the bottom six, and I think he'll be good on the PK.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Well Joe we are VERY due for one of those dominant games aren’t we. Unless I am concussed this is largely the same group that looked dominant at the end of last season. They are capable of kicking ass it just feels like 6 months since we have seen it doesn’t it?

I don't put any stock in results against teams that come and the last month of the season, especially not in the last 2 weeks. The Jets were unable to string together three wins for much of the season, and all the sudden rattle off seven wins at the end of last season? To me, that smacks of teams that were taking it easy to rest up for the playoffs. Maybe the Jets were playing looser, knowing that they had no chance at making the playoffs, and therefore had more fun doing that? Are they too uptight and tense right now? Is the pressure ramped up on them?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
We've seen this team dominate. We've seen it at the end of the year for the past few seasons.
When they skate and forecheck hard, relentless in their pressure, they dominate...and win.
When they overthink their defensive game, well they're not good.
In the Jets case, a good offense is definitely the best defence.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How does one create/coach a higher event team? What are a few good examples that you could give me. Curious to see what it looks like and how it happens. Neutral zone play? Break outs?

I'm not versed enough in terms of specific nuances in systems to give a detailed answer but the Pens cup run from two season ago is about the best exhibit of very successful high event hockey.

The Bolts are another team that plays successful high event hockey as do the Leafs. I'd watch each team play a couple of times.

One of the easiest things the Jets could change is their play in the NZ. If the Jets force a turnover they often regroup and then attack as a group. This gives the other team a chance to set up. What a higher event team would do is quickly counter attack once receiving the puck.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'm not versed enough in terms of specific nuances in systems to give a detailed answer but the Pens cup run from two season ago is about the best exhibit of very successful high event hockey.

The Bolts are another team that plays successful high event hockey as do the Leafs. I'd watch each team play a couple of times.

One of the easiest things the Jets could change is their play in the NZ. If the Jets force a turnover they often regroup and then attack as a group. This gives the other team a chance to set up. What a higher event team would do is quickly counter attack once receiving the puck.

Totally agree. They did that in the Edmonton game quite a bit. Button hook on the turnover and head north instantly. Very effective.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The Jets scored 249 goals last season (only 5 scored more)How did the
opposition team look while we were scoring those goals? Probably bad and disorganized right? It's what hockey is .... a game of mistakes.

As much as you'd like it to be so, the failures of other teams last year is no excuse for the failures of the Jets this year (or last year for that matter, or any year). The Jets have made more mistakes than their opponents this year, and not just mistakes, but amateurish mistakes. The players bear some of that responsibility but much of that is on the coach. At least the players might improve. The coach? Not so much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Totally agree. They did that in the Edmonton game quite a bit. Button hook on the turnover and head north instantly. Very effective.

Another thing they could do is go back to the aggressive 2-1-2 forecheck that they ran most of preseason and for a good chunk of the Leafs and Flames games. It was this aggressiveness and forecheck that allowed us to dominate the Leafs for most of the first period (That's more higher event). We got burnt a few times and the wheels fell off, same thing happened in Calgary after a good start.

Well the Leafs last year blew numerous big leads early in the year prior to learning to win and close out games playing that syatem. Babcock stayed with the program and kept pushing it forward whereas Maurice abandoned it and opted to bunker down and tighten up.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

The season before last about halfway through the season Jets practices changed. I started to see drills focusing on transition offence. They worked a lot on neutral zone and zone entry denials. They also worked a lot on offence after a neutral zone turnover. Shortly thereafter Little got his head decapitated and Scheifele became #1C by default. This was the time the stuff they were working on began to really show up in the games and Scheifele was probably the one who made the most of it that year. He's so coachable.

Last year I didn't see much of that same focus on transition but we were so devastated on defence and giving up so much on special teams I can maybe see why they didn't emphasize it.

I think that neutral zone and transition is one area this team could make strides and I think there's a lot of potential there. Not all our current roster is suited to that style though IMO

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
As much as you'd like it to be so, the failures of other teams last year is no excuse for the failures of the Jets this year (or last year for that matter, or any year). The Jets have made more mistakes than their opponents this year, and not just mistakes, but amateurish mistakes. The players bear some of that responsibility but much of that is on the coach. At least the players might improve. The coach? Not so much.

I never said it was an excuse. And yes the Jets have made more mistakes than their opposition. But your previous post neglected that other teams look bad and disorganized also. Pittsburgh had 10 goals scored on them one game. Washington had 8. WTF was their coach thinking?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I never said it was an excuse. And yes the Jets have made more mistakes than their opposition. But your previous post neglected that other teams look bad and disorganized also. Pittsburgh had 10 goals scored on them one game. Washington had 8. WTF was their coach thinking?

What other teams do is irrelevant to the way the Jets have played. [mod] It means nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
What other teams do is irrelevant to the way the Jets have played. [mod] It means nothing.

[mod]

I would not be sad if he was fired tomorrow if only to change the tone around here at least for a week or so.

I do think he's a scapegoat and a whipping boy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Evil Little

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
[mod]

I would not be sad if he was fired tomorrow if only to change the tone around here at least for a week or so.

I do think he's a scapegoat and a whipping boy
Umm no. He's a shit coach who wasn't working in the sport when we hired him. He's about to become the coach with the most losses and .sports 500 career record with about 25% playoff appearances. This is the guy we want to give 5, 6, 7 years to this group?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Umm no. He's a **** coach who wasn't working in the sport when we hired him. He's about to become the coach with the most losses and .sports 500 career record with about 25% playoff appearances. This is the guy we want to give 5, 6, 7 years to this group?

Are you trying to change my opinion that people are piling on prematurely?

Or are you trying to change my opinion that it's just not worth whining about our current coach because he's not going to be fired with a 3-3 record?

Hint: either way it won't work.

When you start seeing me post about firing Maurice it's likely just about to happen. Right now he will be given time to right the ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad