Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Plays 3 games, gives 16 goals, way too easy rebounds and people are still defending his performances?

Team is still undefeated with Buck Buck as a starter.

Did you watch the 3 games he played? I concede he gave up some softies but only after having been a shooting gallery duck for quite a while.

I'm not so much defending his performance as criticizing that of the team in front of him. I'd like to see him get a game where they play just up to a 'normal' standard. If he still gives up a couple of softies I won't be defending him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not blaming Byfuglien for last nights embarrassment. He didn't really drive anything to correct the game (which you'd expect from your high paid leaders) but he wasn't bad Buff at all last night. Enstrom was bad, Trouba, Wheeler... These guys have to be better. Mason looked good but he's really lacking confidence. Thank god for Helle.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Moose core is buying in. The Jets core reverts to old habits and individual play when the going gets tough

So the question then becomes why aren't they buying in?

Is Maurice a poor communicator
Do the players not like what he's selling .
Has his message become muddied (too many systems)
Can the players not understand /execute (doubtful)

With regards to poor habits I don't rate it as an excuse. The vast majority of our roster is comprised of young players who almost all got their start under Moe. Moe never should have let them develop those habits in the first place. In terms of vets Moe has had 4 years to correct them. If the poor habits are still there that is one area I put squarely on the coach for not nipping it In the bud sooner.

In the end it comes down to the same thing doesn't It, if Maurice can't get buy in he needs to go in favor of someone who can. It's really doesnt matter if his message is correct or not if it's not being followed. Either that or you make a drastic trade (Much harder to do) to kick the team in the butt.

Reactions: Guerzy

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I liked Maurice's comment today regarding skilled players were trying to slow the game down to let the play develop and that being something you can't do anymore in today's NHL. I see the Jets do that a lot and am glad he is working on changing that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I liked Maurice's comment today regarding skilled players were trying to slow the game down to let the play develop and that being something you can't do anymore in today's NHL. I see the Jets do that a lot and am glad he is working on changing that.

Meh, Maurice has been correctly stating many of the teams issues for a while now but whatever he's been trying has had very little if any positive impact over the last year or so.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So the question then becomes why aren't they buying in?

Is Maurice a poor communicator
Do the players not like what he's selling .
Has his message become muddied (too many systems)
Can the players not understand /execute (doubtful)

With regards to poor habits I don't rate it as an excuse. The vast majority of our roster is comprised of young players who almost all got their start under Moe. Moe never should have let them develop those habits in the first place. In terms of vets Moe has had 4 years to correct them. If the poor habits are still there that is one area I put squarely on the coach for not nipping it In the bud sooner.

In the end it comes down to the same thing doesn't It, if Maurice can't get buy in he needs to go in favor of someone who can. It's really doesnt matter if his message is correct or not if it's not being followed. Either that or you make a drastic trade (Much harder to do) to kick the team in the butt.

People are quick to blame the coach... not so quick to blame the players unless his name is Buff.

Generally It seems to me that the team has been so focused on keeping a structure in the d zone that they kind of forgot about the rest of their game and what they're good at. They might be victims of trying too hard and trying not to make a mistake instead of trying to make a play.

Our team isn't as bad as they showed last night.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
People are quick to blame the coach... not so quick to blame the players unless his name is Buff.

Generally It seems to me that the team has been so focused on keeping a structure in the d zone that they kind of forgot about the rest of their game and what they're good at. They might be victims of trying too hard and trying not to make a mistake instead of trying to make a play.

They aren't as bad as last night sure, but they haven't been particularly great at all so far. How long are you willing to wait to see if they figure thigs out or buy in?

Yeah the coach is the easy target, but he's also the easiest component to replace. Not so easy making trades in this league. For the record as I stated even if Moe is preaching the right stuff it means very little if the players aren't falling in line. You can only wait so long to see if he can get through to them. This isn't absorbing the players of blame as there is a mountain to go around, just staring how things work in professional sports.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
They aren't as bad as last night sure, but they haven't been particularly great at all so far. How long are you willing to wait to see if they figure thigs out or buy in?

Yeah the coach is the easy target, but he's also the easiest component to replace. Not so easy making trades in this league. For the record as I stated even if Moe is preaching the right stuff it means very little if the players aren't falling in line. You can only wait so long to see if he can get through to them. This isn't absorbing the players of blame as there is a mountain to go around, just staring how things work in professional sports.

Me I'll be with this team for life. I will never stop watching.

If you're talking about how long the team will stick with Maurice. That depends on what the results are.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If you're talking about how long the team will stick with Maurice. That depends on what the results are.

It was about how long do you wait before you have to try something to jump start the team. I would never question anyone's fandom.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

They are trying to keep a structure while defending, which is good. It's much better than the first 2 games of the season. Shit, they could have played to a 1-1 tie or a 2-1 CBJ victory if they had managed the puck better. You're right that they've forgotten how to play offense. They're tracking to have bottom-5 shot generation in the NHL right now. Unless they collectively want to shoot 20% on the season, that won't do it.

This team is maddening. They can't play defense without sacrificing offense. They can't play offense without giving up ridiculous scoring chances. They give up the blue line more than any other team in the NHL, hoping to suppress all the shots, and minimise high danger scoring chances. These guys are playing low event hockey. They were playing it last year. They're playing it again. They're letting the other team control the play and invoke their will on the proceedings. When do the Jets get to do that? What is the game plan here? Just what is Maurice trying to instill in his team? After watching last night, I couldn't tell what type of breakout they were doing, how the forwards support the defense, or anything. It's horrible to watch as a Jets fan.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Meh, Maurice has been correctly stating many of the teams issues for a while now but whatever he's been trying had had very little if any positive impact over the last year or so.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Bingo. Maurice talks a good game, and seems to have all the right answers in press conferences and media scrums, yet it materializes less and less frequently on the ice. Maybe his calling is in the studio or broadcast booth?

Also, I don't believe for one second that the players shoulder most of the blame, this is fundamentally the same group that dominated back in 2014-15. You could argue that there are more inexperienced, less defensively sound players in our lineup compared to three seasons ago; welp, that falls on coaching. An NHL coach isn't teaching Ehlers or Laine how to create offense, his focus is almost exclusively on teaching them how to defend and play away from the puck.

Regardless of whether or not the room "likes" Maurice, it's becoming quite apparent that they've either a) tuned him and the rest of the staff out, or b) are trying their very best to execute what they're being coached, but it's simply not working.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

I will be watching this team for life too. However, I am becoming less inclined to sign on for another 4 year $40 000 TPA.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It was about how long do you wait before you have to try something to jump start the team. I would never question anyone's fandom.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy isn't trying to do something right now.

They have 2 players up from the Moose one already playing and Hendricks coming off IR soon.

The org won't accept too many more performances like last night

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I will be watching this team for life too. However, I am becoming less inclined to sign on for another 4 year $40 000 TPA.

I'll gladly pay for tickets to every Jet game in Vancouver & Seattle (if they ever get a team)

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I'll gladly play for tickets to every Jet game in Vancouver & Seattle (if they ever get a team)

Don't get me wrong I'll buy a few tickets here and there but the days of dropping $10000 a season in 4 year agreements will be coming to an end for me. We are 7 seasons in and I am not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. This ship needs to get righted and after the start to the season I am really doubting that it is any time soon.

I'll go back to my pre Jets 2.0 days and start travelling to Arizona, Vancouver etc.. to watch NHL hockey. I cut these trips out after getting season tickets. Simply not in the budget.

I hope things will turn around but not optimistic.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Why are people complaining about Maurice?
To borrow a quote ... when you signed me up you damm well knew I was a .500 coach.

Oh. I've been complaining about a lack of serious hockey ops position to oversee Chevy and the coaching staff for years. yup. we got a coach as advertised. Career .500. 19 years in the league - 5 playoff appearances and out of the 1st round of the playoffs a whole 2 times.

Doing as his record would indicate.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Agreed on Wheeler, but my point was most teams deploy 3 scoring lines now, and I had to spread it out somehow with our roster to make it work. It's no different than Kessel and Marleau being on the 3rd line for their respective teams.

Also, my main point in my rant was that while coaching is a huge issue, we simply don't have the talent on this team, that most people think we do.

Just IMO, but in a salary capped league all rosters will have some holes. A team that has Marleau or Kessel on the 3rd line is running multiple ELC players in scoring ling roles. There aren't any all star teams in a 31 team NHL.

If the Jets load up the top 2 lines, is the 3rd line light talent wise? Maybe a little, but IMO there is more than enough talent on the roster and the underlying issue is PMo's inability to establish structure which enables them to be effective.
e

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Just IMO, but in a salary capped league all rosters will have some holes. A team that has Marleau or Kessel on the 3rd line is running multiple ELC players in scoring ling roles. There aren't any all star teams in a 31 team NHL.

If the Jets load up the top 2 lines, is the 3rd line light talent wise? Maybe a little, but IMO there is more than enough talent on the roster and the underlying issue is PMo's inability to establish structure which enables them to be effective.
e

Could be better
Would have to spread out the talent a little more
Maybe armia would play better in a top 6 role
Kinda like how copp did alright last year
And you drop some top talent on a 3rd line like mattyp or even ehlers
Just to give you decent lines to have to match up with
2 heavy lines isn't working

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Maybe our talent isn't good enough?

It’s possible.
This then leads one to draw a conclusion that Chevy isn’t all that and a bag of chips......however I actually believe this roster is quite capable but in need of new direction.
The scariest thing is the off season talk about Chipman, Chevy and Maurice all having input as far as direction of roster goes.
This owner needs to be less of a buddy and let the GM he hired run the club.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Maybe our talent isn't good enough?

Doubt this is the case, you don't finish 7th in league scoring with a talent deficit.

Even if it were potentially the case, it's a much cheaper and safer bet to assume it's coaching. Even safer when that coach is the all-time losingest coach in NHL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->