Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hnic-wpg-at-tor-edm-at-cgy-jets-at-maple-leafs-oilers-at-flames.jpg

WATCH | HNIC:Jets vs. Maple Leafs | CBC Sports

DZnl-k4XkAAs1Wc.jpg:large

Saturday NHL game preview: Winnipeg Jets at Toronto Maple Leafs

Auston Matthews. Patrik Laine. Game on at the Air Canada Centre.

Saturday NHL game preview: Winnipeg Jets at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

laine_jets.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Patrik Laine, in the hunt for the Rocket Richard Trophy, and the Jets visit the Maple Leafs on Saturday night. (Jamie Sabau / NHLI via GETTY IMAGES)

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Fri., March 30, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: CBC
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Matthews/Laine
The top two picks from the 2016 draft rarely get to meet. Leaf Auston Matthews returned from a shoulder injury three games ago and has 30 goals, after racking up 40 in his rookie season. Patrik Laine of the Jets hits town with 43, two behind Alex Ovechkin of the Capitals for the NHL lead. This should be a treat for fans.
NEED TO KNOW
The Jets are 6-1-0 in their last seven games. The loss came Thursday in Chicago, a game notable for the appearance of emergency goalie Scott Foster — an accountant and former netminder at Western Michigan University, who was called into action by the Blackhawks and stopped all seven shots he faced … Overall, the Jets are 48-19-10 and lead the tough Central Division … June 9 will mark 25 years since a Canadian team last hoisted the Stanley Cup. The Leafs and Jets will be the only Canadian teams with a chance to end the drought this season … Just the second meeting of the season between the clubs. The Leafs trounced the Jets 7-2 on opening night … Winnipeg sports a better goal differential — plus-55 to the Leafs’ plus-42 … Toronto’s powerplay ranks third, with the Jets fourth … They sport identical 18-6-2 records since the all-star break … Unsung captain Blake Wheeler leads the Jets with a career-high 86 points … Centre Paul Stastny, acquired from the Blues at the trade deadline, has been a big factor in Laine’s recent success.
UP NEXT
Monday vs. Buffalo Sabres, 7 p.m.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Boston Bruins vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

Atlantic Division No. 2 vs. Atlantic Division No. 3
Bruins: 48-17-11, 107 points
  • Games remaining: 6
Leafs: 47-24-7, 101 points
Games remaining: 4
Regular-season series: Leafs win 3-1-0 (Bruins 1-2-1)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Crush them.

I accidentally slept through last night's game, and would really appreciate a strong, winning effort during the one game I do get to see this weekend.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
McElhinney to steal one tonight. He's been doing it all year. This is his chance to show he can do the job against a Cup contender if needed.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Martin has gotta play this game; is jets goons take liberties with the leafs they need the know leafs have at least one who will do that to their stars

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is my Stanley Cup final preference ..

Leafs vs Jets in the SC Finals

My childhood favourite team vs my birth place ..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its a little surprising that Freddy got to play against the non playoff NYIs vs a AHL goalie and today vs a Stanley Cup competitor he gets to rest when he would be facing an offense and team Leafs might just face in the playoffs :crossfing if everything goes well.

How come Freddy got the easy matchup and McBackup gets the tough one?

Is there any "method to the madness" behind this strategy ?

Reactions: mcleex

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Its a little surprising that Freddy got to play against the non playoff NYIs vs a AHL goalie and today vs a Stanley Cup competitor he gets to rest when he would be facing an offense and team Leafs might just face in the playoffs :crossfing if everything goes well.

Hasn't he been getting the first of back to backs all season?

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

The Jets couldn’t score against an accountant, so I wouldn’t be too worried.:)

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Is that OP pulled from the nhl site? There are a surprising number of inaccuracies.

Notably Matthews apparently only being back for the last 3 games and the claim that Winnipeg leads the central. They are 7 points behind Nashville

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Andersen gets the first game, McE gets the 2nd... Its been consistent all year.

The "method to the madness" is that you put your best foot forward the first game in hopes to get the 2 points, and then if you win the second, its gravy.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I mean it's the exact same thing they have been doing the entire season. Andersen starts the first of a back to back and McBackup gets the 2nd game. They haven't changed it according to the difficulty or strength of teams yet, not sure why they would start now with a meaningless game 10 days before the playoffs.

Reactions: Pi

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Boy, that Laine vs Matthews "rivalry" the league was trying to push sure faded away into obscurity, didnt it?

It’s because laine hopped right over matthews who prob should have been picked after dubious since he just got a hattrick last night and now they are comparing laine and ovechkin

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Would love a win, but we're at a clear disadvantage with this being our second of a back to back.

As long as we get out if this game unscathed I'll be content. I'm hoping for a surprise though.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Alright that's enough. I don't really care what they're saying on the Winnipeg boards but please do not bash other posters as it's not allowed. Winnipeg mods will deal with their issues and we'll deal with ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad