Post-Game Talk: Jets hold on, win 2:1

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Carolina game was the 3rd I was able to watch and although it was far from a masterpiece, I did see way better dzone play than those first 2 games so Maurice stays for now.

Nice to see some increased physicality.

Laine will be fine. He seems to be overthinking it a bit.

It's a pleasant change having Helly steal us a couple so early.

Myers problem is mostly rust I hope. Petan on the other hand....better start showing something quick Nick.

Get rid of Matthias. Guy can't score.

Last edited:
Reactions: upperdeckjet

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The more I watch Laine, the clearer it becomes he needs a skilled table setter. As defences have become more aware and focused on him, he seems to struggle to make his own space to get his shot off except on the PP.
This game, they had an interview of Jeff Skinner where they asked about Laine and what makes a goalscorer do well in this league. He said for him it's mostly "instincts" but then he went on and on about how important it is to have good linemates and that a goalscorer really needs good linemates to "enable" him. It seemed like Skinner feels that having good linemates is the most important thing of them all when it comes to goal-scoring, at least that's what I got out of that segment.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This game, they had an interview of Jeff Skinner where they asked about Laine and what makes a goalscorer do well in this league. He said for him it's mostly "instincts" but then he went on and on about how important it is to have good linemates and that a goalscorer really needs good linemates to "enable" him. It seemed like Skinner feels that having good linemates is the most important thing of them all when it comes to goal-scoring, at least that's what I got out of that segment.
Unless the Canes really improve, I see Skinner moving on. He is an UFA after next season.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Speaking of danger area shots, this is interesting. Really low amount of shots close in by the Canes, and very few in the really dangerous part of the slot (more charts and graphics here: http://hockeyviz.com/game/2017020068):

shotLoc-2017020068-CAR-EV.png

Compare that to the Jets - they had way more in close in very dangerous spots:

shotLoc-2017020068-WPG-EV.png

Really looks like Carolina was just throwing the puck at the net, whenever they got the chance, hoping for a dirty rebound of some sort. Unfortunately for them, Helle's been like a sponge this year: if it hits him, he seems to just soak it in and kill off any secondary chances.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the whole Maurice overtrains the team is old news. The team was scheduled to practice today but decided not to. Things have changed since he got here in this area

Actually, I was going to comment on this... it seems that he's perhaps a bit lighter on this.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Speaking of danger area shots, this is interesting. Really low amount of shots close in by the Canes, and very few in the really dangerous part of the slot (more charts and graphics here: http://hockeyviz.com/game/2017020068):

Really looks like Carolina was just throwing the puck at the net, whenever they got the chance, hoping for a dirty rebound of some sort. Unfortunately for them, Helle's been like a sponge this year: if it hits him, he seems to just soak it in and kill off any secondary chances.

Passes the eye test while watching also. I think this chart is more appropriate. It would be interesting to see the first 2 games with Mason.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Amazing post!

It really seems like the jets gave absolutely nothing to the hurricanes 5v5. If the jets can learn to play like that in the defensive zone and be opportunistic offensively, that seems like a recipe for a lot of wins to me...

If only they could fix the special teams....

Reactions: JetBlue420

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I’m betting the Columbus game has similar feel.
Hard working disciplined team with good goal tending.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice post Gin. Could be one of the reasons the Canes struggle to actually score goals. Does help them do well in Corsi battles though.

I love how Peters has them playing but I mentioned it after I saw them play the Jackets. The way I would describe the Canes is: a very structured and incredibly sound team that is tough to score on, but it feels like they may never score a goal again.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Well, the simplest answer is, "do they win?". If Maurice gets this team to win consistently and perform well in the playoffs, then we'll need to try to analyze how he's contributed to that. Conversely, if they don't become a winner with all this young talent, then we can look at his specific coaching deficits.

From a less generic perspective, here are some of the concerns I have had...

1) Roster composition and usage - I have had big concerns that Maurice has a tendency to fall back on vets and grinders who he can evaluate clearly in terms of them following the X's and O's set out by the coaches, with the addition of "gritty" team-oriented plays (hits, blocks, fights, etc.). His over-use of Stuart and Harrison on D, and Thorbs and others up front are "Exhibit A". Some of my concerns have been blunted somewhat since the Jets have jettisoned Stuart, Thorbs, Peluso and gone with a line-up that has players like Petan and Dano on the bottom line. However, I still have concerns that he "slots" players into roles excessively. Maybe I'm wrong and that's a rational approach, given the various skillsets and game situations, but this is an area of concern. I also think that Maurice tends to overplay his top players, which can wear them out. I think it's partly a lack of confidence in some of his younger players, but he'll need to balance this out.

2) Playing style - Maurice had considerable success coaching a high-pressure, straight line style with the Jets in 2014/15. The Jets focused more on dumping and puck pursuit and pressure, rather than on controlled zone entries, creativity in their play, etc. I think that the current version plays a style that is more creative, but it tends to lack structure, so the Jets can end up getting into trouble against more structured teams (especially if they are quick). I have also had concerns with the Jets really porous D zone coverage. Some of that might be on the players, but it's been a problem. However, I have seen some positive signs in the past 3 games. The Jets were very good at covering danger areas and mopping up loose pucks in the cylinder out from their goal.

3) Discipline / effort / training - I have been critical that Maurice over-trains his team, and this hurts them early in the season. I think it's part of an old-style discipline, that also includes being a bit softer on vets than younger players. I do think that the team gives a good effort most nights and clearly isn't anywhere close to quitting on Maurice, which is a good sign. The Jets lack of discipline with penalties is a huge issue, and I'm not sure how much of that is coaching, and how much is just the character of his core of players. This season, it's been the same vets that have been the problem (Wheeler, Buff, Perreault, Trouba). The young players actually tend to be playing with reasonable control.

4) Goalie usage - I think Maurice was horrendous in his handling of Hellebuyck last season. Pulling him 5 times probably contributed to undermining his confidence. Thankfully, Hellebuyck seems to be pretty solid this season, so perhaps not lasting damage. But I really didn't like how Maurice managed young goalies.

Anyway, that's a short list.

Thanks for such a comprehensive response. I`d just leave you with one quick thought re "playing style". Although we appear to be seeing some positive signs in defensive zone coverage, we appear to be taking a step backward with our zone breakout play. If anything,in an attempt to make the "safe"play, we have simplified to the point of short chip passes up the boards,or, the infamous flip pass into the neutral zone which usually gives up possession.Our breakout has become predicable and easily game planned against through modified forecheck schemes.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Thanks for such a comprehensive response. I`d just leave you with one quick thought re "playing style". Although we appear to be seeing some positive signs in defensive zone coverage, we appear to be taking a step backward with our zone breakout play. If anything,in an attempt to make the "safe"play, we have simplified to the point of short chip passes up the boards,or, the infamous flip pass into the neutral zone which usually gives up possession.Our breakout has become predicable and easily game planned against through modified forecheck schemes.
I agree. The zone exit remains an issue. I'm not sure if it's systems or personnel. Myers, Trouba and Buff tend to like to carry the puck. That's fine when it works, but increasingly you need a couple of quick, short passes to exit cleanly and those three aren't focused on that sort of play as much. Enstrom and Morrissey are good at that. Kulikov also seems decent, though he's been stuck with Myers a bit. Poolman seems to make smart short area plays in his own zone, too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Toronto:

shotLoc-2017020001-TOR-EV.png

Calgary:

shotLoc-2017020027-CGY-EV.png

Those look terrible in comparison. Also: the Jets shots in those two games came from outside the really dangerous areas.
Jets struggled in the first couple of games in their zone coverage. Also, Mason wasn't great at managing rebounds. Both of those aspects were much better in the next three games.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Got some good shot blocking last night. Overall it was a committed defensive effort. The canes are an interesting team but it feels like Skinner vs the world in terms of scoring goals. Damn is he a good player though. In the 3rd period I saw buff start hitting Skinner instead of trying to stick check. Skinner is so shifty that you have to hit the guy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Meh, teams winning games in which they don't play well happens all the time, not just with the Jets.

5 games in, still lacking some organization and execution but I don't see much reason to believe they won't be better. I'd mainly attribute that to the players though. A few haven't found there games yet, which will help once they do.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Man, may not have been a pretty win but I'll take it over what's happening in Edmonton right now! :D

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Toronto:

shotLoc-2017020001-TOR-EV.png

Calgary:

shotLoc-2017020027-CGY-EV.png

Those look terrible in comparison. Also: the Jets shots in those two games came from outside the really dangerous areas.

Thanks for posting these Gin. I find these incredibly helpful and if possible having them posted after each game would be greatly appreciated. Where can I find them?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The more I watch Laine, the clearer it becomes he needs a skilled table setter. As defences have become more aware and focused on him, he seems to struggle to make his own space to get his shot off except on the PP.

You are talking about a man that has the highest shot attempt rate on the Jets and is top 20 in the entire league at 5 on 5

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Interesting chart. Matches the eye test that we gave up very little in the way of scoring chances last night.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I agree. The zone exit remains an issue. I'm not sure if it's systems or personnel. Myers, Trouba and Buff tend to like to carry the puck. That's fine when it works, but increasingly you need a couple of quick, short passes to exit cleanly and those three aren't focused on that sort of play as much. Enstrom and Morrissey are good at that. Kulikov also seems decent, though he's been stuck with Myers a bit. Poolman seems to make smart short area plays in his own zone, too.

Probably a mix of both but I think primarily system. Look at how the forwards are asked to come back relatively deep,position themselves on the boards and ready themselves to "help" the D by receiving a short chip pass. It`s bad when the forward is actually standing still awaiting the pass, with his back to the forechecker coming in on him. This could result in a very untimely collision/injury with really aggressive, physical teams. Since the puck comes out the right side predominantly, I fear for Laine especially.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Meanwhile, a sample of comments from the Canes' board (paraphrased)...

Canes don't have enough skill and play too much of a system approach...

They should stop spreading out the skill and load up the top players on a couple of lines...

Canes look like they are on track for a high position in the "Corsi playoffs".

Canes need Stempniak back.

Fans...

Atleast all fanbases can agree about wanting Stempniak back

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I’m betting the Columbus game has similar feel.
Hard working disciplined team with good goal tending.

Columbus game will be much more difficult. They swarm the area around the net and get bodies to the net hard. If the Jets give them anyway near the offensive zone time that they gave the Canes, it will not be a pretty night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad